John McGinn

PompeyVillan

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/04/17/smith-could-save-mcginn-from-a-ban/

Dean Smith admits he would consider taking John McGinn out of the firing line should the midfielder be at risk of suspension for the play-offs.

The all-action Scot has been a key figure as Villa have reeled off eight straight wins and charged up to fifth in the Championship ahead of Friday’s trip to Bolton. 

But McGinn has also amassed 13 bookings over the course of the campaign and would face a three-match ban – potentially ruling him out of some or all of the play-offs – should be pick up another two over Villa’s four remaining regular season games. 

For now Smith’s focus is solely on securing a top-six finish but the boss admitted McGinn’s situation may come into consideration at some point. 

He said: “It would depend on where we were in the league at that time and whether we were mathematically certain of the play-offs – or whether he is playing well or not. 

“At the moment it’s nothing to worry about, he is on 13 (bookings). If he gets one on Friday then I will start worrying then. At the moment, I don’t need to.”

• Like 1

In the hypothetical scenario JM gets booked today or Monday, and we need something from Leeds: if SJM gets a 15th booking of the season against Leeds, then ‘mistakenly’ goes through the back of someone in the 93rd minute and picks up a second yellow and hence red, is that only a one match ban for first red of the season? Or still 3 match for 15 bookings? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere!

16 minutes ago, Carlos_the_third said:

In the hypothetical scenario JM gets booked today or Monday, and we need something from Leeds: if SJM gets a 15th booking of the season against Leeds, then ‘mistakenly’ goes through the back of someone in the 93rd minute and picks up a second yellow and hence red, is that only a one match ban for first red of the season? Or still 3 match for 15 bookings? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere!

I wondered this. But for today!

If he gets two yellows, would he just miss the Millwall match.

I can't believe that. More likely to miss 1+3 games he owes anyway I'd imagine.

11 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Please would someone with more intelligence clarify...if he gets booked vs millwall, he is on 14. If he then gets his 15th booking in the first leg of the semi, does he miss leg 2 and the final?

I believe yellows during playoffs dont count towards the season total. So in this scenario he'd be fine. Evening Mail said they asked the EFL.

quicksilver speeding GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

GoPro recording of John McGinn from 0653h to 0657h.

During this time he had woken up, got dressed, gone to the toilet, made pancakes, ate them, walked the dog, checked VillaTalk to see if anyone was slagging him off, and finished a 1500 piece jigsaw of a robot fisting Katie Hopkins.

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

GoPro recording of John McGinn from 0653h to 0657h.

During this time he had woken up, got dressed, gone to the toilet, made pancakes, ate them, walked the dog, checked VillaTalk to see if anyone was slagging him off, and finished a 1500 piece jigsaw of a robot fisting Katie Hopkins.

That is something that just won't happen

Did a lovely nutmegged pass into Davis in the dying seconds today to run down the clock. 

Tony gayle commentating proudly declared “that wasn’t deliberate”

yes it was you mug. 

Bet McGinn ran up and slapped him and wasn’t back for the final whistle. 

• Like 1

Â