John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That was my initial interpretation but then I read a comment elsewhere and it concluded differently and I doubted myself.

I obviously hope play off games aren’t included, but as you say the wording doesn’t make it immediately obvious.

We need this clarified, soonest. Is there some official channel that could give us the rules? 

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's not just taking one for the team though, it's the way he plays. If you stop him from going into challenges the way he does, you stop him winning the ball back the way he does. He's not going to tackle everyone perfectly every time, a consequence of him winning the ball back so much is that occasionally he will mis time tackles. Take that element of his game away to prevent getting yellow cards then John McGinn no longer plays like John McGinn.

But he picks up a lot of silly yellows as well, yesterday’s was not needed, we had covering defenders. There are also ones where he has argued with the ref. James milner has a very similar style and he doesn’t get as many yellows. 

I’m not saying he should fully change his style as we all love that, but there is no way that we should be worrying about a player getting their third ban of the season due to an accumulation of yellows. McGinn knows this, he said as much when he got to 10 cards, as did Smith 

• Like 1

The Playoffs are at best an extension to the league season, if not a new competition, so new extensions should be applied. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

It's not just taking one for the team though, it's the way he plays. If you stop him from going into challenges the way he does, you stop him winning the ball back the way he does. He's not going to tackle everyone perfectly every time, a consequence of him winning the ball back so much is that occasionally he will mis time tackles. Take that element of his game away to prevent getting yellow cards then John McGinn no longer plays like John McGinn.

Just don’t agree with that at all.  I may be wrong but I think an analysis of his yellow cards would show that many brought neither him nor the team any advantage. 

He needs to learn to play without picking up so many yellows. Think this could hold him back from becoming the truly good player he has real potential to be.

I have read that it does reset once the play offs start - so the only way he would miss the POF if if he got a red in one of those two matches.

Carry on as normal until the play offs are in the bag - we can't cover every risk 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I have read that it does reset once the play offs start - so the only way he would miss the POF if if he got a red in one of those two matches.

Carry on as normal until the play offs are in the bag - we can't cover every risk 

I think it resets DURING the play off games not before. Mcginn really ha sto be very very careful here. If he misses the play offs we are absolutely screwed. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it resets DURING the play off games not before. Mcginn really ha sto be very very careful here. If he misses the play offs we are absolutely screwed. 

Yes sorry that was what I meant.

Objective 1 is to secure a play off place.....until then jm should carry on as normal.

Would be a blow to loose him - but we cant just throw in the towel if we do....I am sure other teams will go into the play offs unable to field there ideal first 11.

• Like 1

An EFL spokesperson has told BirminghamLive: "Bookings in the Play-Offs don’t count towards a suspension but bookings in League matches leading up to the Play-Offs do. Therefore if a player was to accumulate a 15th yellow card on the final day of the season they would then miss the entire Play-Off campaign (if their team was to make the Play-Off Final)."

So play games as normal until he gets a single yellow card then his regular season is over and he's saved for playoffs where additional cards don't count.

• Like 1

Positive news. Play him for the next two or three games/until his next yellow card. Then rest him.

I’d be looking at resting a few of the players in the final game anyway....assuming we have that luxury of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Positive news. Play him for the next two or three games/until his next yellow card. Then rest him.

I’d be looking at resting a few of the players in the final game anyway....assuming we have that luxury of course.

That is exactly what we need to do. If he picks up another yellow it would be madness to play him and be banned for whole of play offs 

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wouldn't even play him against Bolton. Bring him in for Millwall, sure, but not Bolton. 

Not saying your wrong - but what is your logic ? .....I would say Millwall looks the easier of the next 2 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not saying your wrong - but what is your logic ? .....I would say Millwall looks the easier of the next 2 

Bolton have not paid their players and are facing an uncertain future.  Virtually relegated and just lost 4-0 at Derby.   

Millwall are fighting for their lives 2 points above Rotherham in the drop zone and have just held Sheff Utd to a draw at Brammal Lane.  We never beat them and it will be a tough game.

No gimme games in the champ though so I would play McGinn until he picks up his 14th booking.  However in Deano I trust.

• Like 1

If we are going to drop him from any games I would wait and see what the situation with Grealish is.  If he can't make Bolton I wouldn't consider dropping McGinn.  Our midfield less both of them would be a far far weaker one. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Drop him when he picks up a yellow, which he will. Why complicate matters before then?

My thoughts exactly. He could quite easily play the next 2 with no bookings, then get booked against Leeds and get a well earned rest against Norwich! Safe in the knowledge we’re in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Drop him when he picks up a yellow, which he will. Why complicate matters before then?

Because we don't need him in order to beat Bolton, but if we need to beat Leeds or Norwich we will need him. 

Â