John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Apologies if I have missed it in the thread,  but what are the correct lyrics we use in the super John McGinn chant? Is it...

We've got McGinn, super John McGinn, I just don't think you'll understand, he's Stevey Bruce's man??, he's better than Zidane, we've got super John McGinn ??

Only seen the highlights, but sounds like he had another good game, looks to be playing further forward and nice to see him grab himself a goal, cracking signing and an absolute steal for the money we paid! 

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He is definitely a throwback to a time when midfielders were expected to do a bit of everything.

I think that's where the top midfielders are at now too, though.

Pogba, Vidal, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Goretzka, Casemiro, Verratti, Modric - they've all got a broad skill set that makes them dangerous in different phases of play.

21 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

We've got McGinn, super John McGinn, I just don't think you'll understand, he's Stevey Bruce's man??, he's better than Zidane, we've got super John McGinn ??

All correct apart from the manager, have you missed the last couple of months pal? ??

23 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Apologies if I have missed it in the thread,  but what are the correct lyrics we use in the super John McGinn chant? Is it...

Only seen the highlights, but sounds like he had another good game, looks to be playing further forward and nice to see him grab himself a goal, cracking signing and an absolute steal for the money we paid! 

We've got McGinn

Super John McGinn

I just don't think you understand

He's Dean Smith's man

He's better than Zidane

We've got super John McGinn

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We've got McGinn

Super John McGinn

He's Dean Smith's man

He's better than Zidane

I think the Zidane bit needs replacing too, to be honest.

It goes without saying that he's better than Zidane at this point. Dean Smith's Bestie, better than Messi maybe. Then again, I think that understates him still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

We've got McGinn

Super John McGinn

He's Dean Smith's man

He's better than Zidane

Sad.......it used to be Alan Stubbs man ? ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You're talking about toning down his intensity which will affect his game, he's doing just fine, nitpicking over the picking up of yellow cards is needless IMO. 

I think I’m talking about him becoming a bit smarter, which he will need to do if he wants to progress to a higher level. 

One booking every 2.5 games - it’s quite a record and surely not one any manager could possibly be happy with. I’d be amazed if Dean Smith wasn't trying to temper this aspect of his game.

Unlike most things on VT these days, this can’t even be blamed on Steve Bruce. He’s picked up 2 under Smith.

I think he was a brilliant signing, he hit the ground running and has been good value for an awful lot of the points we have picked up this season. But he was suspended for the Norwich game and we lost. I’d rather he had been playing.

In my view he is one of the best midfield signings in a very long time and he takes me back to far happier times for Villa in the 1990s and earlier. But that doesn’t exempt him from any criticism or wanting him to get even better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

We've got McGinn

Super John McGinn

He's Dean Smith's man

He's better than Zidane

Quite a few of us have been substituting “ Aston Villa’s Man” the last couple of games. Slowly catching on but whatever will be will be as with all chants.

If we are correcting them “ empty seats my lord” - when we are at home - could do with being thrown in the waste bin lol ?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Isn’t it time to get over the Bruce thing?

He’s gone now so any negative comments seem like wasted energy.

Agree.

There are a few things where it’s relevant to bring him up, or make a comparison, but an awful lot more times where it’s surely now superfluous.

Also, whilst we can all find faults to a greater or lesser extent, it’s simply not true to paint him as an idiot or a malign force who only did harm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Possible alternative?

He's from Hibernian

He hates the Albion

Sadly he's from St Mirren......doesn't really fit. ?

Like the "Aston Villas" man ?

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Â