John McGinn

PompeyVillan

17 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Is he really significantly worse than Grealish? 

Value in the transfer market isn’t based on fans’ assessment of a player’s ability. It’s about reputation and the scouting community’s view of potential future development and increase in value. 

He had all his talent when he joined us but we got him for £3m or whatever because he didn’t have those other aspects. I doubt he has increased his value tenfold in the few matches he’s played for us.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Value in the transfer market isn’t based on fans’ assessment of a player’s ability. It’s about reputation and the scouting community’s view of potential future development and increase in value. 

He had all his talent when he joined us but we got him for £3m or whatever because he didn’t have those other aspects. I doubt he has increased his value tenfold in the few matches he’s played for us.

It all really depends on how much the other team need him.

Krzysztof Piatek was purchased for 3 million and is being linked with January moves for 30 million cause of his goal scoring record for Genoa.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 09:44, Merson08 said:

It all really depends on how much the other team need him.

Krzysztof Piatek was purchased for 3 million and is being linked with January moves for 30 million cause of his goal scoring record for Genoa.

Yes, that’s true. It’s a reminder that a player’s value is really determined by how much someone is prepared to pay. If someone wants to pay £30m for McGinn, that’s  what he’s worth. Not that I have noticed anyone offering that.

Piatek also shows that a player can rapidly improve their market value if they perform extraordinarily well. He’s scored what, about a goal a game so far, which is incredible for Italian football.

Again, I’m not so sure McGinn has had quite the same impact, even though we love him.

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, that’s true. It’s a reminder that a player’s value is really determined by how much someone is prepared to pay. If someone wants to pay £30m for McGinn, that’s  what he’s worth. Not that I have noticed anyone offering that.

Piatek also shows that a player can rapidly improve their market value if they perform extraordinarily well. He’s scored what, about a goal a game so far, which is incredible for Italian football.

Again, I’m not so sure McGinn has had quite the same impact, even though we love him.

I reckon Premier League clubs would be prepared to spend 10-15 million for him. I’d be surprised if there weren’t suitors if we don’t get promoted. 

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon Premier League clubs would be prepared to spend 10-15 million for him. I’d be surprised if there weren’t suitors if we don’t get promoted. 

Agreed, but i can't see a top 6 club wanting him yet.

That said, if we can keep hold of Grealish from Spurs then we can keep hold of Mcginn.

With our apparent awful FFP situation they immediately rejected 25million for Jack. Our owners are loaded, so the money offered won't even be a factor. 

1 hour ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Let's hope his sources are wrong (6:30):

Dan Bardell is well connected at the club and probably as good a source you can get re: Media, so that's not good at all.

Typical, performance of our season, performances of the season from key players, then a stupid international break and they get injured.

Always us!

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dan Bardell is well connected at the club and probably as good a source you can get re: Media, so that's not good at all.

Typical, performance of our season, performances of the season from key players, then a stupid international break and they get injured.

Always us!

I can't watch, what does he say?

1 minute ago, Dick said:

It's as you would imagine from the comment, he's got no chance of playing. 

Tbh I'd take that if Chester can get back; we do have decent options in the centre, and a break may not be the worst thing for a player like him.

3 minutes ago, Dick said:

Not too much just that McGinn is unlikely to make Sunday.

All we need now is for Jack to slip on some gel in his bathroom.

They said Chester will probably make it though.

• Like 1

Not like we're short of midfielders is it. Sure he'll be missed but if anything he should have been a bigger miss for Scotland than us but they have been better without him in the team in the 2 games this week than in the past few games he has played so hopefully we will manage the same.

7 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not like we're short of midfielders is it. Sure he'll be missed but if anything he should have been a bigger miss for Scotland than us but they have been better without him in the team in the 2 games this week than in the past few games he has played so hopefully we will manage the same.

While this is true, we don't have ANY midfielder who works as hard as McGinn or is as dynamic, which will be needed ever so much on Sunday.

He is certainly a big miss.

Chance for someone else to step up and make a bold claim.

Â