John McGinn

PompeyVillan

28 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Only way to beat his man is by falling over and hoping for a whistle. I want to say he is poor but the whole midfield looks like 💩

What is all that about by the way.

Gain possession, turn around, try and win a foul. He didnt used to that. It's a horrible tactic.

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Gain possession, turn around, try and win a foul. He didnt used to that. It's a horrible tactic.

I have no idea. Leggy after chasing Leeds a couple days ago? I get buying a foul against an elite pressing team like City or Chelsea but Newcastle, give me a break. John if you can't beat your marker against a Newcastle midfield you may not be a PL midfielder. Really needs to up his game or let Sanson have another try. 

10 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

I have no idea. Leggy after chasing Leeds a couple days ago? I get buying a foul against an elite pressing team like City or Chelsea but Newcastle, give me a break. John if you can't beat your marker against a Newcastle midfield you may not be a PL midfielder. Really needs to up his game or let Sanson have another try. 

I think it is because he is too slow on the ball.

Always thought McGinn didn't have the physicality in the sense of speed and agility.

The game always looks a struggle for him, like he's on the edge.

Had my doubts since we got promoted and yeah still commands a spot, needs replaced for me.

Squad player at best.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

He literally did it constantly ever since he got back from injury that first PL season. He bulked up and got slower so that when he turns he can't get away from anyone so he just dives. 

I think we need to realise that his level isn't good enough for where we want to get to. His passing is atrocious, and for an attack minded player he neither scores nor creates nearly enough. Thanks for everything John, but a bid above £20m in the summer and it's a goodbye from me.

• Like 1

Since we got promoted McGinn's been the most inconsistent player for us of the current squad...

We so need that DCM in the summer and then I think he'll get pushed out of the side by either Luiz or Sanson, both technically are far superior to McGinn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andym said:

Yep, for comparison, the average passing accuracy over the season so far for comparable 'main midfielders' at some of the better teams:

• Rodri - 94%
  • Rice - 93%
  • Bissouma - 89%
  • Jorginho - 89%
  • Hoijberg - 88%
  • McTominay - 85%
  • Moutinho - 85%
  • Romeu - 83%
  • Tielemans - 81%

McGinn ?  74%. Shockingly bad in comparison.

It was only 78% last season as well. Luiz and Ramsey at least break 80%.

He only has 3 goals and 2 assists attacking wise, and he's not exactly great defensively. 

If Gerrard thinks we are ever going to consistently control games building a side around McGinn, he needs to think again.

I like McGinn and believe he’s still had more good than bad games this season.

But I agree on the last part. McGinn is often very useful when Villa are under attack, and he can fight for every ball like a stubborn honey badger. If we are serious about wanting to control games through possession though, he can soon become a liability. He lacks calm and composure, his vision is often good but his ball control isn’t.

5 hours ago, andym said:

Yep, for comparison, the average passing accuracy over the season so far for comparable 'main midfielders' at some of the better teams:

• Rodri - 94%
  • Rice - 93%
  • Bissouma - 89%
  • Jorginho - 89%
  • Hoijberg - 88%
  • McTominay - 85%
  • Moutinho - 85%
  • Romeu - 83%
  • Tielemans - 81%

McGinn ?  74%. Shockingly bad in comparison.

It was only 78% last season as well. Luiz and Ramsey at least break 80%.

He only has 3 goals and 2 assists attacking wise, and he's not exactly great defensively. 

If Gerrard thinks we are ever going to consistently control games building a side around McGinn, he needs to think again.

His passing accuracy is bad yes, but you're comparing him to midfielders playing different roles. Hell, a good portion of those play DM.

I just think the luiz mcginn jj partnership isnt working. Its weak and easy to run through.

Why sanson is not getting a look in is beyond me. Its clear we need to sign some more aggressive players in cm in the summer.

If utd do want mcginn if they pid 40m plus i would consider selling

His time is up now. He has proven he can't be relied upon. His inconsistency cannot be accepted in such a key position especially for a "senior" player. 

Senior players are required to be consistent and reliable. It's why they command the top wages

• Like 1

He played some sublime passes that threaded the needle and played us in against Newcastle but that will be firmly overshadowed by his blunders and losing possession in costly territory. 

I am also concerned about him harassing the referee when he overplayed and clearly lost possession to a fair tackle. In my opinion that's what got him booked.

Referees are people and they generally don't appreciate other people acting like an ass towards them. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

His time is up now. He has proven he can't be relied upon. His inconsistency cannot be accepted in such a key position especially for a "senior" player. 

Senior players are required to be consistent and reliable. It's why they command the top wages

He's a key player, when he's good we are great , when he isn't we fall apart. He needs that consistency as you say, he's like a 4.5 to a 8.5 at any given time, if he could find a regular 7+/10 we gel. So frustrating at times.

Â