John McGinn

PompeyVillan

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure where these figures are from, but McGinn currently at 79% which would be expected compared to those you've listed (bar Tielemans) as they sit deeper and play shorter passes to feet.  I imagine most attack-minded midfielders will be somewhere between 82% and 75% for passing accuracy and I'd also expect McGinn to be in the middle of this range as he isn't particularly known for passing ability.

I don't know if I'm surprised by the dislike of him or not.  He played badly against Newcastle (particularly with a free kick towards the end which he literally passed straight to one of their players :D) but he's the main midfielder for getting the ball moving.  Actually, that may be Ramsey now, but McGinn certainly looks for more of the "through ball"/"over the top"/"switch play" balls than anyone else in our side.  At the same time, he has the tenacity to win the ball back - better than any of our other midfielders (although, again, I think Ramsey is good at this).

Those two, for me, are vital to how we want to play.

Fbref has him at 74% for this season (unless i've completely misread the stats which is possible!)

I agree the players in my initial comparison are more likely to sit deeper and have better stats; i think the point i was trying to make is that your main 'first name on the team sheet' midfielder really needs to be able to help control games by keeping the ball well.

Assuming the 74% is correct, then there's not many regular 'standard' midfielders in the league who are worse than that. 

That figure might be ok for an attacking midfielder (more likely to try adventurous stuff, more likely to lose it etc), but the problem is with attacking full backs, a striker and 2 no 10's,  he's not playing that role. We need the midfield 3 to be more solid and anchor the game. Trying something 30 yards out and giving it away is fine, constantly giving it away when you are inside your own half is less so.

The thing is, when Gerrard first arrived, McGinn was playing much more disciplined both with and without the ball; he looked better for it (not knackering himself chasing around like a headless chicken), and we looked better as a team for it. He needs to get back to that, and make that his standard.

• Like 1

Just now, Zero7 said:

I've noticed how much he does give the ball away and doesn't hold it very often, treats it like a hot potatoe. 

His pass percentages are very low also...

McGinn is a key problem are for me, as you say he treats the ball like a hot potato and he constantly gets caught in possession.

We need more composure on the ball.

• Like 3

McGinn be better playing higher up the pitch away from his own goal. His passing is not jyst poor but its predictable. Runs on the right, cuts onto left foot, tries an ambitious 25 yard cross field pass and intercepted most of the time 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

His pass percentages are very low also...

McGinn is a key problem are for me, as you say he treats the ball like a hot potato and he constantly gets caught in possession.

We need more composure on the ball.

The problem with McGinn is consistency, when he's good, he's really good and can really influence the game. conversely, when he's poor he is totally anonymous and makes very little if no impact to the game, a passenger if you will. 

2 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

The problem with McGinn is consistency, when he's good, he's really good and can really influence the game. conversely, when he's poor he is totally anonymous and makes very little if no impact to the game, a passenger if you will. 

Absolutely, I've been saying this for well over eighteen months.

That inconsistency is why we will struggle to get past midtable, Gerrard alluded to this yesterday in the press conference. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

McGinn be better playing higher up the pitch away from his own goal. His passing is not jyst poor but its predictable. Runs on the right, cuts onto left foot, tries an ambitious 25 yard cross field pass and intercepted most of the time 

Every midfielder we have - aside from Nakamba - is better further up the field. It's clearly a problem

13 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That inconsistency is why we will struggle to get past midtable, Gerrard alluded to this yesterday in the press conference. 

Agree 100%. We need more players who are reliable in that they turn up every game and have a consistency of performance. McGinn isn't one of them, he is too inconsistent and has now been that way under both Smith and Gerrard. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Exactly this

there was a period of time earlier in the season where some on here were talking about him as if he was top 4 quality after a couple of good games. But then he has games like Newcastle where he genuinely looks championship level. The inconsistency is infuriating 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

We have at least 5 midfielders better than him in the advanced position.

He's been shite and if he starts another game I'll be gutted. Needs to earn his place. Less 8 year old pranks, more focus.

Edited by Mazrim

2 hours ago, Zero7 said:

For em this happens within the same match though. 

Moments of class and then 15 minutes of being nowhere 

26 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We have at least 5 midfielders better than him in the advanced position.

He's been shite and if he starts another game I'll be gutted. Needs to earn his place. Less 8 year old pranks, more focus.

Dont look at the team sheet 😉

• Sad 1

Â