John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

3 goals and 5 assists is a good return for a CM. I think people underestimate how little the average CM actually contributes in terms of goals and assists as that's usually not their primary job.

As someone pointed out Barkley prancing around not even bothering to get near the opposition probably made McGinn and Luiz look worse and can't see either not having a better season with Buendia instead of Barkley

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

3 goals and 5 assists is a good return for a CM. I think people underestimate how little the average CM actually contributes in terms of goals and assists as that's usually not their primary job.

Yeah. Shame he doesn't really contribute elsewhere though outside of his scoring and his dribbling. His pressing stats are subpar despite how much everyone loves to bang on about his pressing as are all his other defensive stats not even taking into account how many times he let's his man just run past off ball which results in a goal. 

3 goals and 5 assists is pretty average when compared to soucek (10 goals), lingard (9 goals), Harrison (8 goals and 8 assists), prowse (8 goals and 7 assists), gross (8 assists).

there’s a lot to like about McGinn and he played a key role for us in getting promoted. I’m more than happy to have him in the squad but just saying that he needs to show a lot of development in the next 12 months or will be overtaken by others quite quickly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

3 goals and 5 assists is pretty average when compared to soucek (10 goals), lingard (9 goals), Harrison (8 goals and 8 assists), prowse (8 goals and 7 assists), gross (8 assists).

there’s a lot to like about McGinn and he played a key role for us in getting promoted. I’m more than happy to have him in the squad but just saying that he needs to show a lot of development in the next 12 months or will be overtaken by others quite quickly.

Everyone you just listed doesn’t play DCM except Soucek.

McGinn isn’t a DCM judge him on playing 8 or 10

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

First of all, Lingard and Harrison aren't even CMs.

Secondly, you're right, his output is pretty average compared to these guys. But these guys are some of the top performing CMs in the league in terms of goals and assists. Mcginn doesn't have to produce that level of output to be useful to us.

• Like 4

Everyone saying they'd happily take 30/40m for mcginn, I literally wouldn't.

I know he's had a few questionable performances, but I think he is a key player, not saying at times he didn't deserve to be dropped as some points of the season he did

But right now you can tell we under smith have cultivated a great team spirit and unity amongst the lads, and I always get the feeling mcginn is the lin pin in it .

I can imagine him to be the perfect person to integrate people, he's seemingly happy to be the butt of all jokes and I firmly believe he is pivotal to having a team who play for each other the way the lads do atm, and think his behind the scene influence is something smith holds him in high regards for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I think if Smith read a lot of forum posts he'd piss himself laughing at the comments made about our current squad

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think if Smith read a lot of forum posts he'd piss himself laughing at the comments made about our current squad

I'd hazard a guess that people on this forum are here to just have a chat about all things Villa and discuss a range of topics--not to impress Dean Smith with their player analysis and knowledge.

It's all good fun!

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5

7 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I know he's had a few questionable performances, but I think he is a key player, not saying at times he didn't deserve to be dropped as some points of the season he did

But right now you can tell we under smith have cultivated a great team spirit and unity amongst the lads, and I always get the feeling mcginn is the lin pin in it .

I can imagine him to be the perfect person to integrate people, he's seemingly happy to be the butt of all jokes and I firmly believe he is pivotal to having a team who play for each other the way the lads do atm, and think his behind the scene influence is something smith holds him in high regards for.

Agreed on the value point. He's now a proven competent PL player, with his prime ahead of him,  and home nation international (arguably the best in his country). He's worth so much more than 30m in today's market.

On whether to keep him or not, I'm pretty confident that we could replace him, but don't think we need to. And certainly not in any rush to, given the fact we've had too much turnover in recent years, and stability wherever possible before the next evolution is no bad thing. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd hazard a guess that people on this forum are here to just have a chat about all things Villa and discuss a range of topics--not to impress Dean Smith with their player analysis and knowledge.

It's all good fun!

I'll be happy when McGinn and Luiz line up in double pivot first game but some would have both dropped for players we haven't even signed

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I'll be happy when McGinn and Luiz line up in double pivot first game but some would have both dropped for players we haven't even signed

I hear you--but that's what it's supposed to be about. Differing opinions, formations, player picks etc. 

I've learned down the years that not everyone can always be correct, like me. 

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I hear you--but that's what it's supposed to be about. Differing opinions, formations, player picks etc. 

I've learned down the years that not everyone can always be correct, like me. 

I just like our current players more than some appear to. Probably lucky social media didn't exist when Paul McGrath was playing

• Like 1

McGinn should and will stay, he’ll be a key member of our first team this season. I think with some better squad players pushing him and a full season with no injuries he can improve his consistency and find better form. And if someone else earns a place ahead of him? Then he’ll be one hell of an impact sub!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

McGinn should and will stay, he’ll be a key member of our first team this season. I think with some better squad players pushing him and a full season with no injuries he can improve his consistency and find better form. And if someone else earns a place ahead of him? Then he’ll be one hell of an impact sub!

Buendia made more tackles per game last season than every other player in our squad except Matty Cash. Every midfielder will look better with Buendia playing instead of that lazy lush Barkley 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah. Shame he doesn't really contribute elsewhere though outside of his scoring and his dribbling. His pressing stats are subpar despite how much everyone loves to bang on about his pressing as are all his other defensive stats not even taking into account how many times he let's his man just run past off ball which results in a goal. 

What a crock of s***.

Same game time he has the same number of tackles and a lower % of successful pressures but basically the same overall because he attempts so many as Tielemans.

CDD95B78-2C2D-4790-9B70-FEC0F263B44B.jpeg

37A15D19-2217-417E-A5C1-C0E665863F71.jpeg

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Lingard and Harrison player different positions, but sure.

Â