John McGinn

PompeyVillan

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Absolutely and if we get one or two additions in during the summer to compliment him, then the few doubters he has will hopefully realise why Alex Ferguson wanted Man Utd to sign him a few seasons ago.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we have yet to see the best of Super John McGinn in the premier league.

This is the thing we need. I know people will disagree but I just don't rate Luiz. I think he's too happy sitting in the middle doing the pretty little 5 yard passes whilst McGinn covers every blade of grass. McGinn has to do three times the work because Luiz just doesn't impact the game enough for me. He doesn't have the physical presence we need in there. If we get a quality Declan Rice type player it will make McGinn even better. He's just a brilliant, brilliant player and one of the best work rates and attitudes I've ever seen. I want him in our midfield for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

Good game yesterday but don’t think he’s the right player to take us to the next level. 

If we are going to stick with developing Luiz we cannot afford to carry both McGinn and Luiz

i still don’t think we know his best position. It isn’t no6 or no10 and I would say he’s a top half no8

1 minute ago, villa_shere said:

Good game yesterday but don’t think he’s the right player to take us to the next level. 

If we are going to stick with developing Luiz we cannot afford to carry both McGinn and Luiz

i still don’t think we know his best position. It isn’t no6 or no10 and I would say he’s a top half no8

McGinn carries Luiz though. Put a better player next to him and he'd be even better. Luiz needs to do way more.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He's been great for more parts of this season than not he and remains one of our key players.

Great to see him named in the Scotland squad for the Euro's.

I disagree with this he's had about 6/7 good games. Yesterday he was good after about 20 minutes. Nakamba was at fault for the goal yesterday but McGinn also bounced off Bergweijn when he tried to tackle him. 

Against Chelsea I'd like to see Nakamba and Luiz to see the difference so we can compare. At times this season it would have been nice to see Luiz Nakamba McGinn too as I think Nakamba just makes us more solid and how can you say no to that smile.

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

McGinn carries Luiz though. Put a better player next to him and he'd be even better. Luiz needs to do way more.

No he doesn't. Luiz this season has had to deal with McGinn's lack of tracking and his huffing and puffing because he hasn't been able to pace himself through a game. 

Palace's first goal McGinn poor control then brain freeze and they score. Second half he made lots of poor passes gave the ball away cheaply numerous times. 

McGinn needs too much time and space yesterday he got that so looked effective. On evidence his performance yesterday when compared to his other performances this season was an outlier. 7 good games in 30 odd is not a good return.

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I disagree with this he's had about 6/7 good games. Yesterday he was good after about 20 minutes. Nakamba was at fault for the goal yesterday but McGinn also bounced off Bergweijn when he tried to tackle him. 

Against Chelsea I'd like to see Nakamba and Luiz to see the difference so we can compare. At times this season it would have been nice to see Luiz Nakamba McGinn too as I think Nakamba just makes us more solid and how can you say no to that smile.

I'd say 6/7 great games and the rest good. There's a reason he plays every minute when available; because we can't do without him. We'd realise how good he is more if we were without him. The same can be said for Mings, Martinez, Watkins and Grealish. That's the spine of our team.

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

This would be a good move against Chelsea, as  a solid 3 and let Jack and bertie interchange behind Ollie, bamboozleTuetel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

No he doesn't. Luiz this season has had to deal with McGinn's lack of tracking and his huffing and puffing because he hasn't been able to pace himself through a game. 

Palace's first goal McGinn poor control then brain freeze and they score. Second half he made lots of poor passes gave the ball away cheaply numerous times. 

McGinn needs too much time and space yesterday he got that so looked effective. On evidence his performance yesterday when compared to his other performances this season was an outlier. 7 good games in 30 odd is not a good return.

Sorry, but Luiz just sits there and looks pretty. I'm not surprised McGinn huffs and puffs with the extra workload he has to put in. Did you notice last night he lasted the full game? That was because he was next to Nakamba who is willing to get stuck in and try and impact the game, unlike Luiz.

There seems to be this argument developing over who is better, McGinn or Luiz. 

Personally, I think McGinn is a much better player. I think Luiz will continue to develop and become a solid PL player but for now, McGinn brings much more to the team. 

Luiz just seems to do a lot of things quite well but doesn’t really affect games enough. He doesn’t have any outstanding attributes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There seems to be this argument developing over who is better, McGinn or Luiz. 

Personally, I think McGinn is a much better player. I think Luiz will continue to develop and become a solid PL player but for now, McGinn brings much more to the team. 

Luiz just seems to do a lot of things quite well but doesn’t really affect games enough. He doesn’t have any outstanding attributes. 

Completely agree. Luiz absolutely does not affect games enough. He's a bit of a luxury player. McGinn is the heartbeat of the team. No brainer, for me.

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We have to keep in mind that most of last season he was injured and returning from injury though mate.

We know the PL is much more demanding and he is almost up to full speed imo.

I echo @Okonokos where I too McGinn plays better when Nakamba is also in midfield with him.

I agree, Nakamba was at fault and it was a silly mistake, however, he had a solid game for the remainder and I can only put his mistake down to being a wee bit rusty from not playing much.

I think Luiz needs to up his game next season too, We have no room for passengers anymore as Barkley has discovered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

They are equally not good enough to progress our team but of the two Luiz still has the potential. I don’t think there’s much left to see from McGinn in terms of development. 

he runs about a lot but he hasn't been a great link between attack and defence. Not good enough to take the ball and turn and gives the ball away quite a bit. I’d rather see Luiz given a chance at no8 than another season of SJM. 

That said we should retain him as a squad player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa_shere said:

They are equally not good enough to progress our team but of the two Luiz still has the potential. I don’t think there’s much left to see from McGinn in terms of development. 

he runs about a lot but he hasn't been a great link between attack and defence. Not good enough to take the ball and turn and gives the ball away quite a bit. I’d rather see Luiz given a chance at no8 than another season of SJM. 

That said we should retain him as a squad player

I couldn't disagree more. One thing to always remember with McGinn is to never write him off.

• Like 2

He was good last night, but I'm not sure if him and Nakamba playing well is an indication of Luiz being benched or Jack being back.

I suspect it's the latter. Our midfield looked shite again the second Jack went off. Unfortunately it's the same time Luiz came on so it's hard to make a case.

Either way, I still maintain we need a new top class DM and move Luiz into rotation with McGinn and Sanson further up the pitch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

With a proper defensive midfielder behind him and Grealish in front of him, that’s a midfield 3 to compete with the very best in the league. 

As many others have said, the DM position is one we really need to get right in the summer. A player as good as Ndidi, Rice, Phillips etc should be the bare minimum. It will transform our ability to control matches more when we’re under pressure. 

Exactly. If we’d got Phillips instead of Luiz the summer we came up our midfield would’ve been really well balanced. Luiz looked much better as an 8 yesterday 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

21 / 05 / 16..........Remember that day forever. Never be beaten as a football supporter , for me.  ( even better than that night in Rotterdam)

John no doubt will be watching his brother Paul to see if he can emulate him.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

Â