John McGinn

PompeyVillan

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Villa fans still holding on to his Championship days.

Fine squad man but absolutely cannot start if we wish to go to the next level

Must’ve missed him signing for Leeds

• Haha 2

Watched whole game i thought he played well next to Robertson and icing was him doing that Roulette skill.  He is a very unique midfielder -  When 1v1 he draws the player in and uses his upper body to protect the ball and launch an attack.

6 minutes ago, Denaldinho said:

Watched whole game i thought he played well next to Robertson and icing was him doing that Roulette skill.  He is a very unique midfielder -  When 1v1 he draws the player in and uses his upper body to protect the ball and launch an attack.

Thought it was a typical Villa performance.

He does some good stuff and then he loses the ball in situations he really shouldn't either because he is trying to be too clever or because he think he has more time than he really have.

• Like 1

I am obviously massive SJM fan but I thought he was poor today. Just seemed a bit deep and was often caught in possession. Wasn't our worst player by any stretch of the imagination but used to seeing him offer more for Scotland. 

Got to give credit to the posters on here. There seems a genuine desire for Scotland to do well which puts us to shame. Obviously having a Villa player in team makes a difference but it is great to see some English lads giving us a bit of support. I think, after today, Jack, Harry and co will be putting final nail in our coffin. Dared to dream. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wouldn’t completely write you off against England, we’re a team of lions lead by an Emu. 

Thanks pal I've just splurted my tea all over the carpet. The old ball n chain is gonna have a field day now.

• Haha 2

I felt McGinn played far better this season when given leave to play further forward, such as at Spurs in the penultimate game. This takes advantage of his terrier like chasing and closing down of defenders much more than when he played in a deeper role and seemed more restricted. How do people feel about potentially playing him between Grealish and Buendia next season if we play a 4-2-3-1 formation? He does a lot of running and has always played better for us in a more attacking role in my opinion. Either that or have Sanson and him both given the chance to make forward runs from midfield with Douglas Luiz or Nakamba sitting in a deeper holding role behind them? Obviously any new signings might change things but as it is at present I quite like seeing him play in one of the two formations below. I don't think we should be looking to replace such a talented player because his form dipped a bit when played out of position for most of the year.

......................Watkins

Grealish........McGinn.......Buendia

...........Douglas.....Nakamba

Targett....Mings......Konsa.....Cash

......................Martinez

Or my preferred formation with our current players

Grealish...........Watkins.............Buendia

.............Sanson............McGinn

......................Douglas Luiz

Targett......Mings.........Konsa......Cash

.........................Martinez

How do people feel about this slightly more advanced role for him, without simply saying drop him or buy someone else? First post on here so please be kind ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I felt McGinn played far better this season when given leave to play further forward, such as at Spurs in the penultimate game. This takes advantage of his terrier like chasing and closing down of defenders much more than when he played in a deeper role and seemed more restricted. How do people feel about potentially playing him between Grealish and Buendia next season if we play a 4-2-3-1 formation? He does a lot of running and has always played better for us in a more attacking role in my opinion. Either that or have Sanson and him both given the chance to make forward runs from midfield with Douglas Luiz or Nakamba sitting in a deeper holding role behind them? Obviously any new signings might change things but as it is at present I quite like seeing him play in one of the two formations below. I don't think we should be looking to replace such a talented player because his form dipped a bit when played out of position for most of the year.

How do people feel about this slightly more advanced role for him, without simply saying drop him or buy someone else? First post on here so please be kind ;)

That first team you picked. I have only 2 words. Champions League. 

1 hour ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I think SJM higher up the pitch is a good shout as it gives us more energy up there and would help Ollie with the press. I’d see him more box to box than a number 10 though.  

Add JWP to either of those formations and that gives us more bite and quality, as well as the obvious set piece upgrade. 

Welcome by the way. 

I felt MCtominay was a liability today. Definitely think Gilmour could have done a job. Fraser and Che Adams should have started.

The premier League players should be starting. I'm one of the first to criticise McGinn (gives the ball away too much for me)  but I thought he wasn't supported in the midfield properly. He was left exposed and I felt the formation didn't suit them. 

McGinn’s better as one of two 8s in a 4-3-3 than sitting deeper in a 4-2-3-1, imo. He has an uncanny ability to find Jack in dangerous areas when given license to get about the field more.

Not a game changing player, but definitely helps us to control one when he’s on it. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Most unsuccessful touches.

Dispossed more than anyone in the side.

4 shots. 0 on target.

1 tackle.

70% possession accuracy. Heavily inflated the last 20 minutes when Czech packed their own third.

Sure he runs about a bit wins some cheap free kicks and seems a great lad but it is time really.

Today's game was a microcosm with his season.

As much as I hate to agree with you. This is pretty much what I have observed the entirety of the last half of the season. I'd like to note he got dispossessed a couple of times where he took a dive looking for a cheap free kick which led to a shot on goal both times. He does this a lot for us. Normally he gets the free kick even when he shouldn't. 

I too thought he had a poor game.

He does a few nice things, then will gift the ball away in a dangerous position.

I love the guy, and I think he’s a great character to have around.  But I’m starting to believe like a few on here that we’ve outgrown him.

I desperately want him to grow with us, but he just gives the ball away too much.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly this Dave.

I think some fans need to think before slating him / writing him off.

We have a gem here in Super John McGinn.

Well that's one thing we're in full agreement on

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thug said:

I too thought he had a poor game.

He does a few nice things, then will gift the ball away in a dangerous position.

I love the guy, and I think he’s a great character to have around.  But I’m starting to believe like a few on here that we’ve outgrown him.

I desperately want him to grow with us, but he just gives the ball away too much.  

A fit and on form SJM is a great asset. I think he’ll play a few less games moving forward as the squad gains quality in depth and that will help him. In fact I believe we will be in a better position to rotate most of the players next year to the benefit of them all and the team as a whole. The increase in quality should also bring out the best in all the existing players. 

I recognise your criticisms/concerns for SJM but hope he’ll find his next level and continue his growth with the squad. At times his long range passing is brilliant, with better movement around him it should get more consistent. There not much quality around him in The Scotland team. 

Only watched part of the 2nd half and thought it was a classic McGinn performance when he isn't performing to his very best. 

He'll do some brilliant work to then lose possession by getting tackled or a poor pass. If we us (Villa) and Scotland want to do better he needs to be less wasteful.

In the 30 mins I watched he lost the ball 3/4 times when Scotland couldn't afford to lose possession. 

Â