John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be honest I don't mind who wins it as it's going to be a fantastic game for so many reasons.

Plus, I get a lump in my throat and more goose bumps hearing flower of Scotland than I do hearing the dull GSTQ national anthem.

My brother was in The Navy and one leave he brought one of his mates with him back home.  He was an engine room stoker, stoker's are known to be nutters apparently. 

When introduced to us and we were told he was Scottish he stood bolt up upright, saluted and belted out at the top of his voice every verse of Flower of Scotland. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My brother was in The Navy and one leave he brought one of his mates with him back home.  He was an engine room stoker, stoker's are known to be nutters apparently. 

When introduced to us and we were told he was Scottish he stood bolt up upright, saluted and belted out at the top of his voice every verse of Flower of Scotland. 

The problem is first the Union Flag and now the Cross of St George have been hijacked by the far right. This has been jumped on by the liberal left media who have made our national flag a symbol of racism. 

This is not the case in almost any other country in the world. The self loathing of the liberal elite in this country is as damaging as it is strange. 

The use of the Saltire by the SNP mirrors those of organisations like the BNP. I live in The Highlands and my Wife is a patriotic Scot but no fan of the SNP.  She strongly dislikes this hijacking of Scottish patriotism by a political party. 

I agree that Flower of Scotland is more stiring than God Save the Queen. My granddad apparently favoured Land of Hope and Glory which I wouldn’t be against. Although I think I’d prefer Jerusalem. 

I love living in The Highlands but that doesn’t in anyway diminish my love of England. One of the many things I love about my wife is her patriotism. I think there is something quite strange about people who don’t love their own country. A man much wiser than me once said, England is a country flawed enough to deserve some criticism but strong enough to take it.  

I hope SJM has a great game next Friday but we stuff ‘em anyway. Come on England!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The problem is first the Union Flag and now the Cross of St George have been hijacked by the far right. This has been jumped on by the liberal left media who have made our national flag a symbol of racism.

In my experience, the connotations with racism and either flag is as obvious as it is depressing in day-to-day life, with regular reminders, which is why people are naturally wary of anyone overtly displaying the thing. But of course you are right that far right groups use the flag as a kind of uniform, and of course the media report on this with a kind of glee, but that doesn't mean they are engineering the situation and creating the negative connotation. It's there for everyone to see. Naturally, it doesn't follow that everyone who wishes to display pride in their country is racist or xenophobic, but I always find it an odd stance to blame the media or whatever. People are understandably suspicious in this regard.

Anyway, thrilled to see how McGinn plays in this tournament.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Can't wait for this to happen, it's going to be so funny.

Jack knows it. John knows it. We all know it.

Grealish is going to skip round him and SJM is going to revel in dishing out what he probably wants to in training every week.

Mings will have to jump in to stop it 😂

56 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I think I’ve seen that video of your brother and his engine stoking mates:

spacer.png

I really really wouldn't have levelled that at my brother as he scares the shit out of me most of the time (one for the families thread) and he was the significantly less volatile of the 2 of them. 

Edited by sidcow

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

This is not the case in almost any other country in the world. The self loathing of the liberal elite in this country is as damaging as it is strange. 

The use of the Saltire by the SNP mirrors those of organisations like the BNP. I live in The Highlands and my Wife is a patriotic Scot but no fan of the SNP.  She strongly dislikes this hijacking of Scottish patriotism by a political party. 

I agree that Flower of Scotland is more stiring than God Save the Queen. My granddad apparently favoured Land of Hope and Glory which I wouldn’t be against. Although I think I’d prefer Jerusalem. 

I love living in The Highlands but that doesn’t in anyway diminish my love of England. One of the many things I love about my wife is her patriotism. I think there is something quite strange about people who don’t love their own country. A man much wiser than me once said, England is a country flawed enough to deserve some criticism but strong enough to take it.  

I hope SJM has a great game next Friday but we stuff ‘em anyway. Come on England!!! 

Do not what ever you do go over to off topic and declare the love for England, unless you take a very large tin hat with you. Agree 100% with you by the way 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Your first paragraph is interesting.

You say the national flags have been hijacked by the far right, so doesn't it logically follow that it is they who have turned those flags into a symbol of racism?

What role are the liberal left media playing? 

Also, could you explain which outlets you are referring to when you talk about the liberal left media because again, it's not clear who you have in mind.

I could be wrong, but the way you used that phrase implies that you think most media is liberal. If that is what you think, which outlets do you have in mind?

The second paragraph is interesting too. You refer to the self loathing of the liberal elite as being strange, so again, I'm interested as to who you think these elite people are.

If you hadn't already noticed, we currently have one of the most divisive right wing populist Governments that this country has ever seen.

Aren't the people in power the elite?

Finally, regarding that self loathing, if you are correct about the far right hijacking flags and using that to stir a culture war, isn't it inevitable that some of us are going to feel repulsed by the version of nationalism we are being told to accept? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

In my experience, the connotations with racism and either flag is as obvious as it is depressing in day-to-day life, with regular reminders, which is why people are naturally wary of anyone overtly displaying the thing. But of course you are right that far right groups use the flag as a kind of uniform, and of course the media report on this with a kind of glee, but that doesn't mean they are engineering the situation and creating the negative connotation. It's there for everyone to see. Naturally, it doesn't follow that everyone who wishes to display pride in their country is racist or xenophobic, but I always find it an odd stance to blame the media or whatever. People are understandably suspicious in this regard.

Anyway, thrilled to see how McGinn plays in this tournament.

To be fair I agree that it’s probably not correct to shoot the messenger. It just saddens me that you can’t be patriotic with out being viewed as a racist. The real blame always lies with the idiots who try to claim patriotism when really they’re racists. I’m sure it happens in other countries too but it naturally doesn’t get reported here. 

41 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

You say the national flags have been hijacked by the far right, so doesn't it logically follow that it is they who have turned those flags into a symbol of racism?

Also, could you explain which outlets you are referring to when you talk about the liberal left media because again, it's not clear who you have in mind.

I could be wrong, but the way you used that phrase implies that you think most media is liberal. If that is what you think, which outlets do you have in mind?

The second paragraph is interesting too. You refer to the self loathing of the liberal elite as being strange, so again, I'm interested as to who you think these elite people are.

If you hadn't already noticed, we currently have one of the most divisive right wing populist Governments that this country has ever seen.

Finally, regarding that self loathing, if you are correct about the far right hijacking flags and using that to stir a culture war, isn't it inevitable that some of us are going to feel repulsed by the version of nationalism we are being told to accept? 

Also Liberal media? The media is impartial on the television, if here is any bias that's because the real world is biased towards that particular belief. 

In fact on a whole in this country you can say that media is actual quite far right with papers being the main source for it what with the daily Heil and the s*n. 

McGinn’s journey from the academy pitches of Paisley to Euro 2021 has been an unconventional one, defined by a hunger to make the most of his ability.

It was during his time in Scotland where the ‘Meatball” nickname first emerged, due to the short hair and, in his own words, his round head, although when he was a child, he used to pretend he was Zinedine Zidane, practising overhead kicks on the trampoline at his Clydebank home.

Gary Teale, a former St Mirren teammate and caretaker manager, told Telegraph Sport: “He wasn’t the biggest or strongest at first, but as he developed physically the improvement was there for everyone to see.

“He had the vision to find these passes other players wouldn’t notice. He would use that big backside of his to protect the ball and turn the opposition players!

“The big moment for me was when we played Celtic in the Scottish League Cup semi-final [in 2013]. John was up against the likes of Scott Brown and Victor Wanyama, but he more than held his own that day. That was a real coming-of-age moment."

A versatile, tireless roadrunner and a high-pressing machine, he has been described as an “absolute snip” due to the meagre transfer fee.

He is particularly close with Jack Grealish, and recently spoke about their relationship in typically self-deprecating style.

“We’re close friends on and off the park, we’ve got the same interests and everything, with the exception that he’s going to be a model when he finishes playing and I’m not!”

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, AvonVillain said:

... Would love to read that article, but it's behind a paywall. Not sure it's worth posting up things we can't actually read without hassle or money changing hands.

I could read the whole article from the link on the tweet…

I don’t have a subscription.

Added a few quotes anyway.

3 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

... Would love to read that article, but it's behind a paywall. Not sure it's worth posting up things we can't actually read without hassle or money changing hands.

Just X or close the pop up that appears and you should be able to view the whole article, worked for me.

Yeah, I wouldn’t post anything that required a sign up or fee. I don’t have any paid subscriptions. Sorry if it’s not working for you.

Edited by Jas10

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Just X or close the pop up that appears and you should be able to view the whole article, worked for me.

No, that doesn't work for me for whatever reason. Thanks for adding quotes above.

Just now, AvonVillain said:

No, that doesn't work for me for whatever reason. Thanks for adding quotes above.

That’s strange… did you press on the image in the tweet? Then if a banner shows up, £1 for 3 months or something, just close it? I can still see the whole thing and am not signed up.

32 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I probably constructed this carelessly. I 100% blame the right wing racist groups such as the BNP for hijacking the national flag. And hate them for it  

I accept that there is a broad range from left to right across the newspaper outlets. They all have owners and editors who will of course peddle their interests. I probably have more of a gripe with the national broadcaster which shouldn’t have any interests to peddle.

After the last General Election a former Director General of the BBC called his former employers out. Saying that basing their entire coverage at Universities totally missed the fact that the real story was taking place in Midlands and the North and demonstrated how out of touch with the British public they were. Closer to the subject I think most people can see that their coverage of football is anything but balanced or in touch with the average supporter that goes to matches. 

I’m not too sure exactly who the liberal elite are to be honest. I’m probably thinking of those people who seem to be offended by just about everything and hold strong moral opinions on just about every subject until it doesn’t suit them. 

You should be repulsed by far right racists, I am. We must also be careful of calling everyone a racist who loves his or her country or has expressed views, told jokes etc, no longer regarded as acceptable. Not so many years ago Prince Harry was photographed wearing a nazi uniform and heard to refer to one of his army colleagues by a phrase that many, him included I’d assume, would now call racist. Is he a racist? 

Hope SJM has a good tournament and Jack and Tyrone an even better one. Please don’t get injured doing it though!

Â