John McGinn

PompeyVillan

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd like to buy one more midfielder but with Sanson coming back I'm not sure it'll happen.

I think we might see an attacking 10 as an alternative to Jack, but Luiz, Sanson, McGinn and Marv will scrap it out for those other two positions.

I think McGinn coming on with 30 mins left could be a really good spot for him going forward. Wouldn't rule out him regaining proper fitness and becoming undroppable though.

I don't really see him as not a starter next season. Last few months have shown Doug is more vulnerable if DS wants to freshen up the midfield for games. Perhaps next season at some point we'll see Nakamba-Sanson-McGinn combo although get the feeling SJM and Sanson are a bit too similar to work together but Liverpool tend to play a trio with similar quality and who can cover plenty of ground.

What like though DS to be confident we can see a game sometimes without McGinn on the pitch as his level does drop significantly from 70th minute so he stops pressing and so opposition can really pen us back, perhaps he'd have been subbed a few times for Sanson if he was fit but we've had other midfielders on the bench and he's still stayed on.

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't really see him as not a starter next season. Last few months have shown Doug is more vulnerable if DS wants to freshen up the midfield for games. Perhaps next season at some point we'll see Nakamba-Sanson-McGinn combo although get the feeling SJM and Sanson are a bit too similar to work together but Liverpool tend to play a trio with similar quality and who can cover plenty of ground.

What like though DS to be confident we can see a game sometimes without McGinn on the pitch as his level does drop significantly from 70th minute so he stops pressing and so opposition can really pen us back, perhaps he'd have been subbed a few times for Sanson if he was fit but we've had other midfielders on the bench and he's still stayed on.

I agree.

At some point, Luiz and Sanson will get a go as a pair. They have to grab that chance whenever it comes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When the fans are back we should do a version of sunshine on leith with some words changed as his song. It's **** spine tingling when the hibees sing it, would be a belter and he'd love it.

41 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

In all seriousness, if MU came in with 50m for him I'd accept.

If Newcastle came in with £30m it'd be interesting in here

I'd probably say take it depending on who else we are trying to buy in 

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Man Utd keeping tabs apparently, do they not understand it’s no longer 2009 and villa are no longer a selling club?

I'd accept 30 mil for him. He is so overrated on here. He is our worst player most games (not counting barkley because normally he is the opponents best player).

But he is also undroppable. If I was Purslow or Lange that would be my first move selling mcginn and replacing him with a good player who Smith will actually rotate. 

I'd also accept anything above 20. At a certain point it isn't worth it.

Edited by MotoMkali

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'd accept 30 mil for him. He is so overrated on here. He is our worst player most games (not counting barkley because normally he is the opponents best player).

But he is also undroppable. If I was Purslow or Lange that would be my first move selling mcginn and replacing him with a good player who Smith will actually rotate. 

You’re starting to become wrong more often than Villalad21, that’s an achievement!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, nick76 said:

You’re starting to become wrong more often than Villalad21, that’s an achievement!

I'm sorry he is so overrated and you're an example of that. 

He gives away so many goals by not tracking his man. 

He has taken 50 shots from outside the box and scored 1 of them. Wasting so many good positions.

He has a poor passing accuracy and is so impatient when we have the ball that he consistently gives the ball away and puts us under more pressure.

Regularly loses the ball in our half because he thinks he can beat his man. Often has to dive to bail himself out. Etc. 

He is a liability for large portion of games. He is the player I most want to replace in our starting 11. Followed by anwar. But at least anwar isn't in the middle of the park doing all this. Mcginn is why we fail to win the midfield battle most games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Madness,  he may lack a bit in technical ability at times , but you can’t coach what he has his unorthodox way o winning the ball and  starting counter attacks, he has something nobody else in the team has , can be at times infuriating but when he really is on it he lifts the whole team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Madness,  he may lack a bit in technical ability at times , but you can’t coach what he has his unorthodox way o winning the ball and  starting counter attacks, he has something nobody else in the team has , can be at times infuriating but when he really is on it he lifts the whole team.

His fall off in form for us last season was because we shifted from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 and he was asked to play much deeper than he did for us in the Championship and the first half of our first season back in the Premier League.  He is at his best when he's allowed to maraud up and down the pitch.  He plays much further up the pitch for Scotland and has performed much better for them recently.  McGinn is the biggest benefiter of both the Sanson and Buendia signings because they allow us to move back to a 4-3-3, when everyone is fit.  He'll be back to his best for us next season.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He is in the 41st percentile for pressures, 44th percentile for interceptions, 33rd percentile for tackles, 8th percentile for blocks and 15th percentile for clearances. 

He rarely lifts the whole team. And I think the number of actually good games he has had this season I can count on one hand. 

Edited by MotoMkali

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

He is in the 41st percentile for pressures, 44th percentile for interceptions, 33rd percentile for tackles, 8th percentile for blocks and 15th percentile for clearances. 

He rarely lifts the whole team. And I think the number of actually good games he has had this season I can count on one hand. 

If those stats are out of midfielders that's not too bad.  If it's for players of any position that's pretty poor.

But they are defensive stats,  and he is better played further forward.  He needs a proper CDM alongside him, like Nakamba, rather than a Douglas Luiz type...at least the Douglas Luiz that we have at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

If those stats are out of midfielders that's not too bad.  If it's for players of any position that's pretty poor.

But they are defensive stats,  and he is better played further forward.  He needs a proper CDM alongside him, like Nakamba, rather than a Douglas Luiz type...at least the Douglas Luiz that we have at the moment. 

Compared to midfielders in the top 5 leagues. 

For reference sanson is 99th percentile for pressures and Nakamba is the 95th percentile for pressures. 

Edited by MotoMkali

Â