John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinn has an important 12 months ahead of him but he needs to knuckle down to avoid being benched and being overtaken by the kids. 

At the moment I can only see him sticking around (from the club’s perspective) for the long term because he’s jack’s best mate. 

• Like 2

When he’s on form he’s an all action midfielder,  bumping players off the ball, making driving runs from deep, playing raking crosses. He’s a joy to watch at times. He’s also fantastic to have around the dressing room apparently. 

The only thing we need to do is make sure we have competition for his place so he can rest when he’s not in top form. 

Edited by LondonLax

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

McGinn has an important 12 months ahead of him but he needs to knuckle down to avoid being benched and being overtaken by the kids. 

At the moment I can only see him sticking around (from the club’s perspective) for the long term because he’s jack’s best mate. 

When he's at his best there's not many better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

When he’s on form he’s an all action midfielder,  bumping players off the ball, making driving runs from deep, playing raking crosses. He’s a joy to watch at times. He’s also fantastic to have around the dressing room apparently. 

The only think we need to do is make sure we have competition for his place so he can rest when he’s not in top form. 

Except he is so rarely on form he is a liability in 2/3 of the games he plays. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Think this is really unfair and not accurate. I think most clubs outside the top four would love to have him in their squads, definitely outside top 8.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Think this is really unfair and not accurate. I think most clubs outside the top four would love to have him in their squads, definitely outside top 8.

Thing is he can't be a squad player. He can't stay fit without game time which makes him worthless as the 2nd man up. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

As I said he got 3 goals and 5 assists last season which is very poor considering he’s playing with jack and Ollie and basically played every game.

I doubt he’ll be starting for us come the start of the season.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

As I said he got 3 goals and 5 assists last season which is very poor considering he’s playing with jack and Ollie and basically played every game.

I doubt he’ll be starting for us come the start of the season.

Weren’t we playing him a lot deeper than normal? I’d agree he needs to improve his goal involvements, as does the whole midfield.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Tielmans 38 appearances 6 goals 4 assists 

Geirginio Wijnaldum 38 appearances 2 goals 0 assist 

Mason Mount 36 appearances 6 goals 6 assists 

Granit Xhaka 31 appearances 1 goal 2 assists 

I would say McGinn has done ok

Tidy up his passing, a few better decisions in the final 3rd, reduce ass moves 22%.

The whole idea of bringing in say a JWP in addition to what we have is good squad depth, if SJM improves and keeps all comers out its a win win.

I'd keep him, improve him and get JWP or whoever in addition.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Tidy up his passing, a few better decisions in the final 3rd, reduce ass moves 22%.

The whole idea of bringing in say a JWP in addition to what we have is good squad depth, if SJM improves and keeps all comers out its a win win.

I'd keep him, improve him and get JWP or whoever in addition.

It often seems to be the relatively simple passes he messes up, so I'm optimistic he can do it. 

• Like 1

When we were in a poor run of form there were consistent games where McGinn was constantly giving the ball away on average six times EVERY match.

He was consistently getting caught in possession too. All of this put the defence and Martinez under pressure which would have been prevented if he wasn't so sloppy with the ball and often too slow to make up his mind.

But he had two better games at the end of the season so he's Super John McGinn, FFS!

Villa need competition for places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyjsg said:

The last two games when he was in with Nakamba, I thought he was excellent.

I thought the last 5 games we were really seeing the Super John McGinn of old. It was a joy to see.

3 goals and 5 assists is a good return for a CM. I think people underestimate how little the average CM actually contributes in terms of goals and assists as that's usually not their primary job.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

But surely our aim is to be a Top 8 team?  In which case, he needs a big season to prove that he should be more than a squad player.  I think he'd be great coming off the bench for the last 30 minutes when his energy and pressing against tiring opposition could be invaluable.  But he's not good enough defensively to play the role he was asked to this season and his distribution is so-so - far too many floated passes that are either easy to intercept or give the defender plenty of time to position themselves to tackle / challenge the recipient.  He showed glimpses of what he can do in the last few games (mainly in the opposition half) but also ran out of steam in all of them, wafted a leg in the vague direction of the attacker in the Spurs game which led to their opener (when any good defensive midfielder would have brought the guy down and taken the yellow card).  He has been brilliant for us in the past and I genuinely think that he could be a superb sub and a great character to keep around the place.  But I don't see him walking into the starting XI of any of our supposed rivals next season.

Â