John McGinn

PompeyVillan

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2021 at 09:22, Delphinho123 said:

With a proper defensive midfielder behind him and Grealish in front of him, that’s a midfield 3 to compete with the very best in the league. 

As many others have said, the DM position is one we really need to get right in the summer. A player as good as Ndidi, Rice, Phillips etc should be the bare minimum. It will transform our ability to control matches more when we’re under pressure. 

Ditto.......

No 1 priority for me.

I also believe such a player, if we get the right quality, will enhance the perceptions of our other players.....it raises the bar.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• VT Supporter
1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Buendia and Lookman as the wide players, please. 

both good players.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ditto.......

No 1 priority for me.

I also believe such a player, if we get the right quality, will enhance the perceptions of our other players.....it raises the bar.

Don’t think you’ve mentioned that before TRO ;)

I really hope we get a new DM because I know how much you want one :)

• Haha 1

• VT Supporter
Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t think you’ve mentioned that before TRO ;)

I really hope we get a new DM because I know how much you want one :)

I am not one for labouring points😀.....but never been so sure about something.

They might buy one, just for me😜.....However, I liked Marvellous on Sunday, bar the error.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The vanishing midfielder.

Do not underestimate how good Chelsea are. Any CM would've struggled today.

• Like 2

I thought he was great first half once we actually started getting the ball. Couple of driving runs seemed to give us more confidence we could get into Chelsea a bit, not far off scoring aswell.

Issue is it's very very hard to keep doing what he does for 90 minutes week in week out particularly if we're playinf top teams every 3-4 days.

Seems DS has a lack of confidence we can hold onto wins without him on the pitch given he's never ever subbed but we've won a couple without Jack so dosen't seem that much of a stretch to give him breathers now and again so he can come back stronger in the next game.

Looking forward to how he gets on in the euros anyway so that's probably partly why he's got going again in last 6 weeks.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I thought he was great first half once we actually started getting the ball. Couple of driving runs seemed to give us more confidence we could get into Chelsea a bit, not far off scoring aswell.

Issue is it's very very hard to keep doing what he does for 90 minutes week in week out particularly if we're playinf top teams every 3-4 days.

I think the other issue with McGinn is that every time he gets the ball he either goes on one of those driving runs, or looks to play a killer pass. I think that is part of the problem we have with regard to ball retention 

I thought McGinn had a good game today, his ability to turn in tight spaces is being let down by his way ward passing at times which is then used to beat him down. 

He grafted hard, killed space and people not rating him for that Im not sure what to say. 

Kovacic does a very similar job for Chelsea, you need players like him and I dont think our progression (hopefully) up the table requires him to be replaced to get there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think the other issue with McGinn is that every time he gets the ball he either goes on one of those driving runs, or looks to play a killer pass. I think that is part of the problem we have with regard to ball retention 

Yes there was one sloppy pass he did first half when he just lazily passed it straight to a Chelsea player around the halfway line.

He's a sloppy passer but just one of those things you have to accept. Jorginho one of those 95% pass completion merchants if you stand 5 yards off him but I'd much rather be playing him today than Kante and he got found out when we actually pressed and won the ball off him, same for Kovacic.

Those are two regular midfielders for top 4 club and CL finalists and I wouldn't say they're miles above Luiz and SJM if you look beyond the clubs they've played for in their careers.

Edited by VillaChris

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Farlz said:

I actually think McGinn has ended the season fairly strong

Was poor int he palace game at times, even though saying that he was one of the better performers. Great against spurs and up against essentially world class opposition today. 

McGinn was superb first half but faded in the second half.

The bonus next season, if we play with a DM like yesterday, is that we can interchange McGinn with Sanson. 60-70 minutes into a game when McGinn tires, bringing on Sanson with his energy would really help us see out games.

• Like 1

I'd like to buy one more midfielder but with Sanson coming back I'm not sure it'll happen.

I think we might see an attacking 10 as an alternative to Jack, but Luiz, Sanson, McGinn and Marv will scrap it out for those other two positions.

I think McGinn coming on with 30 mins left could be a really good spot for him going forward. Wouldn't rule out him regaining proper fitness and becoming undroppable though.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â