John McGinn

PompeyVillan

46 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Things are good we are winning and all are playing well. 

However he really should be scoring some goals now. Douglas putting him to shame in that department and he plays even deeper. 

If the team are scoring it doesn’t matter. Especially as he’s not missing chances. It’ll come, but if he’s impacting the match without scoring it’s all good. 

54 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

However he really should be scoring some goals now. Douglas putting him to shame in that department and he plays even deeper. 

I know Luiz drops deep but his average position is quite high up the pitch higher than Mcginn in both of the previous matches.

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

😂😂

• Like 1

McGinn was very good again today, looks to be back to his best. Seems to have trimmed down a bit, and his fitness seems to have improved.

Doing everything he used to do for us, turning on the ball, battling with opposition players. He's done really well filling in for Kamara.

• Like 1

What is McGinn's best, most natural position? 

I've noticed he's played wide quite a lot of times in the middle line of a 4-3-3. But when we play a 4-2-3-1 with Kamara back, assuming it's Ramsay on the left of the 3, who's best for the right side of the 3: Buendía or McGinn?

32 minutes ago, robby b said:

What is McGinn's best, most natural position? 

I've noticed he's played wide quite a lot of times in the middle line of a 4-3-3. But when we play a 4-2-3-1 with Kamara back, assuming it's Ramsay on the left of the 3, who's best for the right side of the 3: Buendía or McGinn?

I'd play both and drop Bailey

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Powehi said:

I'd play both and drop Bailey

But in a 4-2-3-1 with McGinn and Buendía but without Bailey, what I'm wondering is if McGinn should be on the right side of the 3 and Buendía in the middle of it... or the other way round. 🤔

• Like 1

He's a lot better as the deepest man in attack. Whenever he played even slightly further ahead of Luiz he basically decided to stand on our strikers toes and cramp the attack. Playing deeper let's him do some turns and use his vision to pick passes. Glad emery has reduced the number of really long passes so he's focused on shorter quicker passes. 

On 18/03/2023 at 18:11, KAZZAM said:

Since when is a CM (especially when playing deeper) judged on their goalscoring?

21 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He's a lot better as the deepest man in attack. Whenever he played even slightly further ahead of Luiz he basically decided to stand on our strikers toes and cramp the attack. Playing deeper let's him do some turns and use his vision to pick passes. Glad emery has reduced the number of really long passes so he's focused on shorter quicker passes. 

His passing accuracy in the last 4 games is above 80% for each of those games; he hasn't hit that too often under us, usually averages around mid 70%, which is poor for a central midfielder. Unsurprisingly its helping him and the team play better.

Compare that to the constant Hollywood balls he was doing under the previous manager, which 9 times out of 10 just gave the ball back to the opposition.

I've been impressed with his receptiveness to Emery's methods. I knew there wouldn't be an issue in terms of the manager change, he's too good a pro for that, but i wasn't sure he had it in him to basically go against everything he's shown in his time here so far and play a more considered game.

• Like 4

On 18/03/2023 at 18:11, KAZZAM said:

Luiz rightfully has more licence to get forward than mcginn in emerys system. 

Â