John McGinn

PompeyVillan

164 league apps for McGinn. Hope he gets to 200 and if he maintains this form he should do. Doesn't that seem mad though? Like we've watched McGinn in a Villa shirt on 164 separate occasions? Maybe just me.

looks like a different player under Emery, credit where it's due.

Tell you what though, that blind back pass against Bournemouth was heart stopping, he wont do that again lol (i hope).

Good to see that Emery is persisting come hell or high water with his system though, to see who can or cant play it, its allowing players to make mistakes and learn, i dont hold the terrible pass against McGinn, at the end of the day, Kamara, Donk and Luiz have all made mistakes in similar situations, the main thing is that they learn from it.

Ironically, of the McGinn, kamara, Luiz and Donk errors on the edge of the 18 yard box, McGinns was the only one not punished with a goal for the opposition, we were very lucky there.

Think he just needed proper coaching. Looks to be enjoying himself more and really put a shift as the more holding mid against Bournemouth. Clattered into them but also progressed well when needed (thought not as good as Kamara).

Under Stevie, he just looked completely bereft of confidence and put on a few.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Great under Smith. 

Crap under Gerrard. 

Great under Emery. 

Join the dots. 

Nah not having that, this thread over the past two seasons justifies why. I went back over two years ago to pages 215, 216 and many are voicing criticism.

In our opening fixture first season back against Spurs yes McGinn was awesome but then struggled a little for form and got his bad injury.

Possibly rushed back too soon and his form was patchy and inconsistent.

Gerrard obviously hindered him even more.

However I'm happy he's playing well of late.

Although he was a little sloppy against Bournemouth and gave the ball away a little too much for my liking...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3

On 20/03/2023 at 23:54, Tom13 said:

164 league apps for McGinn. Hope he gets to 200 and if he maintains this form he should do. Doesn't that seem mad though? Like we've watched McGinn in a Villa shirt on 164 separate occasions? Maybe just me.

It does sound strange when you put it like that! 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 15:59, mjmooney said:

Great under Smith. 

Crap under Gerrard. 

Great under Emery. 

Join the dots. 

Fans had turned on him under Smith.  Everyone struggled under Gerrard but I think McGinn got extra stick with the whole captain thing. Did seem like he was trying too hard too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

16 goals for Scotland now. Their all time scoring leaders are Dalglish & Law on 30. According to the internet.

7th on their all time list now and if he looks after himself he can have a few years left at international level too. 30 will be an a big ask to get to though

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans had turned on him under Smith.  Everyone struggled under Gerrard but I think McGinn got extra stick with the whole captain thing. Did seem like he was trying too hard too.

He didn't look fit from when he got injured in our first year back until the last few months. Massive turnaround. 

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He didn't look fit from when he got injured in our first year back until the last few months. Massive turnaround. 

he mentioned giving up booze in an interview not long ago i believe. i think he was having too many nights out with grealish at one point

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

He's only two and three goals behind Kenny Miller and Ally McCoist now for the national team, so should overtake them eventually, he's probably got a very realistic chance of becoming Scotland's third top scorer of all time, just needs another eight goals for that, and if he has a long career could even threatend top spot, although that will be difficult as good chance he might play deeper for them as he gets older, still for him to get anywhere near will be a great achievement.

• Like 4

Â