John McGinn

PompeyVillan

A lot of clown comics were calling him a teachers pet, just because Gerrard kept picking him.

Wasn't his fault he was getting picked, wasn't as if he was going to refuse to play.

• Like 4

Just now, useless said:

A lot of clown comics were calling him a teachers pet, just because Gerrard kept picking him.

Wasn't his fault he was getting picked, wasn't as if he was going to refuse to play.

Showing why he was made captain. Many of us knew his ability. Some just love to make a scapegoat when things aren’t going well. Pretty sad really. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody that said this man is not good enough for us, and there was a lot of you, need to just give your head a wobble, eat some humble pie, apologise and then tell us you’ll never be so blasphemous again.   

Trololol, He's been terrible for 2 years. 

Now he's finally found some good form the Mcginn loyalists trying to 'told you so' the thread. 

Hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Trololol, He's been terrible for 2 years. 

Now he's finally found some good form the Mcginn loyalists trying to 'told you so' the thread. 

Hilarious. 

He really hasn’t. When we’ve been shit, he’s been shit. If he wasn’t good enough for us then nobody was.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Not really the time to start the retribution over SJM being picked or not in the past - he was definitely out of form for a while and we don't really know why but I imagine it was the management - could have been something else though. While we are applying hindsight I'd just like to add I wanted him as captain yonks ago. Yay me. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

His confidence on the ball now is fantastic. Yeah he misplaced a pass badly but on the whole he carries it well and gets himself out of tight situations and drives forward.

Happily have this version of McGinn as a starter next to Luiz and Kamara in midfield next season too.

He doesnt do the stupid cut inside floaty pass to opposition full back anymore

Definitely a Gerrard trait and his moment of magic crap

• Like 2

I criticised him, at the time he clearly wasn't playing well enough. Still don't see him as captain material, still think we need a better players than him as a regular in the first team, however i always felt he was important to have in the squad.

I also never said wasn't good enough. Although he certainly wasn't playing well enough at the time. I did say he was a sellable asset that we could improve on and I still think he is. That's contentious at the minute I know. But 31% possession isn't really good enough going forward. We need to play the ball out better, and be better when our opposition are behind the ball. Is McGinn part of the solution to this? I'm not convinced, but when he plays like he did today, he certainly isn't a cause of the problem.

He's is playing well, and hopefully he will continue to for a long time. 

Deserved man of the match, and played very well.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not really the time to start the retribution over SJM being picked or not in the past - he was definitely out of form for a while and we don't really know why but I imagine it was the management - could have been something else though. While we are applying hindsight I'd just like to add I wanted him as captain yonks ago. Yay me. 

Why not? I’m sick of our fans turning on players rather than supporting them. Happen here and happens at the ground. Get behind players instead of attacking them and they might surprise you.

• Like 4

McGinn was overall pretty shit for a long while. He admitted it in the interview post game . Emery said post match that he is able to understand tactics perfectly and is now playing so so well. 

This is what happens when you get instructions from a manager that are clear and effective. For 3 years before it felt like his job was to get stuck in and just try and spring an attack at every opportunity. Not any more. Like Watkins he is picking and choosing his runs forward. 

I havent looked but i am going to guess his pass completion has gone up at least 10 percent. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why not? I’m sick of our fans turning on players rather than supporting them. Happen here and happens at the ground. Get behind players instead of attacking them and they might surprise you.

It was grim though, it was a sad time all around and given we bought him for £2 mill it made sense to call for his sale given FFP. I've always liked his character but at times that wasn't enough - I'm as glad as anyone else that he's putting in these performances and appears to be in the form of his life. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

100% agree

• Like 1

I hold up my hands and admit I was wrong about SJM. I really thought we'd have to move him on, but, based on his performances for Scotland, I could see it was more a problem with the system than with him per se.

At the time, though, I didn't think we'd get someone like Emery, so I'm delighted everything's aligned and we've finally got a manager who's smart enough to play to McGinn's strengths.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He really hasn’t. When we’ve been shit, he’s been shit. If he wasn’t good enough for us then nobody was.

He was, though.

I'm so glad it's all coming together for him now, but he was shocking for us under Gerrard and towards the latter part of Smith's tenure. There's no point in denying that.

What I don't think was ever the case was that it was a lack of application on his part. Something just went wrong. A mix of being given slightly the wrong responsibilities, maybe carrying a little too much weight, maybe something psychological, maybe an injury, maybe even Long Covid or something like that. So hard to say, but we weren't all imagining it.

He admitted it himself in his post-match interview.

Delighted for him to turn it around like this.

I had Martinez as my MOTM today, but McGinn was definitely a worthy winner too.

Edited by KentVillan

Â