John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Feel a bit sorry for him. He has been a very important player for us and seems like a good guy, but I feel his time here may be over.

He would have to raise his levels to new heights to find his name in the starting XI,  which he may well be capable of, but it does look as though minutes at the end of the odd game will be how it is now until he leaves. It is a shame, but I guess that's football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a-k said:

I noticed how genuinely happy and excited he was when Ramsey scored. May be well out of form but at least he's seemingly not a bad egg about it

Great lad. Just doesn't cut it at this level.

No shame in that.

• Like 1

Thought he was poor when he came on, slowed it down far to much when we are attacking by taking to many touches to get it onto his left foot, Sanson looked better in his cameo than the time McGinn was on the pitch 

• Like 1

Hope he can come on and score one more screamer to win a game before he’s moved on in the summer. Don’t like the idea that people will remember his Gerrard days as opposed to his efforts in the championship.

Think SJM has a role to play further up the pitch like he does for Scotland.  I could see him being a super sub but not a starter at the moment.

Thought he would come on and play in the Buendia role but replaced Bailey.

• Like 1

Considering how he was picked regardless in recent times, i think with all these Spanish coaches etc coming in (who have a liking generally for technical players), in training they must have been watching players like kamara, Luiz, Sanson, Bailey etc and going 😍, then looking over at McGinn and going 😬.

I dont dislike McGinn himself, he seems a top bloke and he has done a lot for the club, but technically he is very poor, and in any team, especially an Emery team who likes to keep possession where necessary and be generally quite technical, i just dont see how McGinn fits that mould.

I dont wish McGinn ill, but i also have no real desire to see him as a nailed on starter for us, at all, seeing players like Kamara, Luiz, Sanson etc who are technically capable is a joy to watch, even players like Dendoncker, who although not flashy, does the basics well and recycles the ball without me wanting to put my hands over my eyes, or look from behind a sofa.

i dont want this to sounds nasty at all, i just dont think McGinn is technically good enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He tried hard, as usual, but looked out of place today.

Feel a bit sorry for him. He has been a very important player for us and seems like a good guy, but I feel his time here may be over.

I fear you lay be right.  And while he has been the weak link recently l, he's  given us a lot. 

I'd  like to think that it's just low confidence and he'll get better, but looks more likely he has hit his ceiling 

There were almost unlimited positives from the game but honestly, I thought the quality of our play dropped noticeably when he came on. I just don't think he's good enough, as fine a servant as he's been over these last few years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mantis said:

There were almost unlimited positives from the game but honestly, I thought the quality of our play dropped noticeably when he came on. I just don't think he's good enough, as fine a servant as he's been over these last few years.

He was rotten.

Gave it away numerous times and dived trying to win fouls every time he touched it.

I don't think this is him though. He's so so low on confidence. I think he could prove to be a handy player off the bench.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He was rotten.

Gave it away numerous times and dived trying to win fouls every time he touched it.

I don't think this is him though. He's so so low on confidence. I think he could prove to be a handy player off the bench.

He should be given a chance like everybody else. I’m sure Emery can improve him as a player, then time will tell if that improvement is enough to keep him around.

I think it depends on sansom getting time whether sjm is sold come summer time.

Midfield has

Donk, doug, Tim, boub, Ramsey emi b

Sansom and big phil, all of whom play or can play cm as well as sjm.

We won't be selling Tim, Ramsey, doug ( unless it was agreed when he signed his new contract) donk or emi b.

We will need to either loan out 2 midfielders or sell them come summer time if emery wants anyone new.

At the moment big phill and sjm are the most at risk of leaving.

Â