John McGinn

PompeyVillan

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That pass completion stat has been the most ridiculously obvious stat affecting the whole team for too long ffs. The rest also speaks for itself.

It's that, but the hiding that riles me the most. I think he lacks confidence at this level, on the ball, so doesn't show himself as an option for the player in possession half as much as he should, for a central midfielder fgs!

Edited by Tom13

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think all the criticism of him is a bit unfair, as I see it he is the same player as before and gives 100% for the team. The problem is that he is asked to play in a position that for most of us is clear that he is not suited to on PL level. He can not be a midfielder asked to receive the ball in our own half, pass and distribute. It's simple, his first touch and passing is not good enough, he will either make mistakes or go for the Hollywood pass or burst forward by himself. For that position you need to be a slick and safe passer, not take two or three touches, look up and then decide what to do. He is also not good enough defensively to play that position. 

In the role I think he plays for Scotland, in front of the holding midfielders, he comes to his best imo. There he can make his bursting runs, harrass and press. For me I'd rather have Buendia or Coutinho in that position though. Nevertheless, I think we shouldn't give him a hard time for being asked to play in a position he is not suited for. He is still a great character and gives 100%, we can't demand more from our players imo.  

I dont get it. We ask him to play CM in the PL and that's supposedly his position. And he's not up to it. Therefore the criticism is fair, no?

I dont think he's deliberately playing shit. He can't help it.

• Like 1

I think it's a mixture of having to cover Cash bombing on and being Captain.

I mean the responsibility may have taken away him being the joker in the dressing room and he is missing being that guy.

If you are asked to be captain you can hardly say no but I really think its effecting his personality.

Could be bollocks but looks like he is playing with the world on his shoulders at the moment.

It's not the Captaincy weighing him down he's just not good and hasn't been good since our first season back in the PL.

McGinn's 2019-20 form quickly nose-dived and then he got his injury.

His inconsistency therefore has shown us one decent game in about ten over the last two seasons.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That pass completion stat has been the most ridiculously obvious stat affecting the whole team for too long ffs. The rest also speaks for itself.

I think I had more beers during the game than McGinn made passes 😂😥😥

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I dont get it. We ask him to play CM in the PL and that's supposedly his position. And he's not up to it. Therefore the criticism is fair, no?

I think his natural position is as a roaming, pressing CAM who makes late runs into the box, shoots from distance, etc. Kind of the Lampard / Gerrard role. His technical deficiencies are less of an issue when he's attempting key passes and long shots in the final third. And he does have good vision in attack.

What he's been asked to play in the last year or so is a deeper CM, more involved in the build up play, and with more defensive responsibilities. It's when he receives the ball under pressure in our half that his technical flaws get exposed repeatedly - which is why players like Luiz and Kamara should be in that position.

On top of that, his fitness and confidence seem to have dropped, and he probably needs a spell on the bench to find form.

I don't think he's a shit player, but it's hard to justify him getting regular starts at the moment. He deserves a chance because of what he's done for Villa, and he's still only 27. Just needs to sort his head out.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think his natural position is as a roaming, pressing CAM who makes late runs into the box, shoots from distance, etc. Kind of the Lampard / Gerrard role. His technical deficiencies are less of an issue when he's attempting key passes and long shots in the final third. And he does have good vision in attack.

What he's been asked to play in the last year or so is a deeper CM, more involved in the build up play, and with more defensive responsibilities. It's when he receives the ball under pressure in our half that his technical flaws get exposed repeatedly - which is why players like Luiz and Kamara should be in that position.

On top of that, his fitness and confidence seem to have dropped, and he probably needs a spell on the bench to find form.

I don't think he's a shit player, but it's hard to justify him getting regular starts at the moment. He deserves a chance because of what he's done for Villa, and he's still only 27. Just needs to sort his head out.

I suggested him and Ramsey should probably be competing for that CAM spot on the left.

Especially as he's left footed.

You're right though, the way he's being played doesn't suit him at all at this level especially.

He's being shoehorned into an uncomfortable position just to be on the pitch IMO. Which is counterproductive to both the team, and player.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Doesn't he play more as a CAM for Scotland? 

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Doesn't he play more as a CAM for Scotland? 

city are a little bit better than the Faroe islands though. yes he plays well for scotland but the caliber of opposition is somewhat different

45 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

city are a little bit better than the Faroe islands though. yes he plays well for scotland but the caliber of opposition is somewhat different

This is true, however, if we had a double pivot of Kamara and Luiz in a game and you needed a player to disrupt an opposition further up the field in the 10 area then McGinn would be good for that, it's how he is utilised for Scotland. Not saying he should start there but it is certainly a better way to use him than he currently being used.

• Like 1

He's a bloody midfielder, and it's unfair that he's being asked to play in midfield? I've never read such nonsense. He's just not very good, and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, let alone being made captain. 

Â