John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinn is one of the most likeable players in the squad and was instrumental in our rise from the championship, so whilst I honestly believe he is a big problem in our midfield it upsets me that a little that the fans are turning because of Gerrards insistence that he plays. 

I would be happy to sell the kid tomorrow and keep those happy memories intact. He isn’t good enough but I’d not be comfortable with the fans hating him. 

I feel for him as he is undroppable as captain. No matter how bad he plays, he'll be picked, even if his confidence is shot. 

He could do with an 'injury' for a few weeks, to get him out of the firing line. 

McGinn would be useful and dangerous as one of the two tens. He can then play purely with attacking intent and pressure the back line similar to the role he played against Arsenal during project restart when Trezeguet at the back post.

He wasn’t too bad today when Luiz was on as he kept it simple and was selective with his Hollywood balls.

However as soon as Luiz came off he fell apart. He can’t do the tracking of runners and he reacts too slow to those situations. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

McGinn would be useful and dangerous as one of the two tens. He can then play purely with attacking intent and pressure the back line similar to the role he played against Arsenal during project restart when Trezeguet at the back post.

He can't pass in the final third - waste of time. 

• Like 1

I'm sick of him using his bum shield so totally unnecessarily. He starting to use it to dwell on the ball too long. 

This afternoon he was in our final third and did that long lingering on the ball, he had easy chances to release the ball but just kept stooping over it pushing back into the attacker who eventually disposessed him and they really should have scored from the resultant move. 

It's another sympton of this team who seem to want to take their time over everything. Where is the quick pass and move, why continue to faff about shielding the ball when there is a guy next to you in space?  Just get the ball shifted and on the move towards their goal again. 

Similar things happen all over the pitch but McGinn and his shielding has it's place but it's being massively over used and I think defenders are now developing ways to get round it anyway. 

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I feel for him as he is undroppable as captain. No matter how bad he plays, he'll be picked, even if his confidence is shot. 

He could do with an 'injury' for a few weeks, to get him out of the firing line. 

Tbf, in Gerrard's mind, he was undroppable and unsubbable long before he was made captain.

56 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He wasn’t too bad today when Luiz was on as he kept it simple and was selective with his Hollywood balls.

However as soon as Luiz came off he fell apart. He can’t do the tracking of runners and he reacts too slow to those situations. 

No he couldn't. Because we'd just be better playing with Buendia or Coutinho or Bailey instead. 

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I actually think he'll have enough about him to go to next manager and say he dosen't really want to be captain and will ask to be relieved of it. Safe bet is then to give it to Martinez.

Nope can’t see him doing that at all. When has anyone gone that?

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Nope can’t see him doing that at all. When has anyone gone that?

He seems an honest guy and don't think he's enjoyed all the fuss around Mings it's created. Also impacted with crowd as haven't heard the McGinn chant this season.

Â