John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He doesn’t suit possession based football, he’s alright if we are hoofing it so he can run around like a headless chicken, I’d have sold him in the summer, Luiz kamara and ramsey are my starting 3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

He doesn’t suit possession based football, he’s alright if we are hoofing it so he can run around like a headless chicken, I’d have sold him in the summer, Luiz kamara and ramsey are my starting 3

Totally agree, still got that Scottish based football in him. I afraid to say we are better without him, if someone wanted to offer 25 30 mill I think Gerrard should bite there hand off. I doubt he would want to sell him though. lets hope he is not a guaranteed starter like last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think he adds some robustness to our midfield which is needed.

I remember in the first half he out muscled 3 Utd players and dribbled past them.

He has quality just his possession retention is not the best.

But what did he do then, go on and score, lay it off to a striker, or pass it into oblivion?

Would it be fair to say that John has gotten worse for us each season?

I don’t like to be harsh on him and most of us retain some fondness for him despite our frustrations… it is, however, worth considering that his “decline” would coincide with having to sacrifice attacking play/responsibility/position for the more defensive side… he’s been quite selfless in that regard and it’s worth appreciating…

He can still be an asset but he’s best suited to being the most advanced of the midfielders. Not assisting the DM, the best player we have for that role right now is Luiz and he will help Kamara more than anyone while helping us be better in possession. I do think the solution is to bring in a more physical player to help BK though…

John’s major strength has always been bringing drive, energy and stealing the ball off the opposition in dangerous areas. He has had to change for the sake of the team and has not been the only player who has had to cover for deficiencies and take on a less familiar/suited role. But… he’s also not as good as the players who have that attacking responsibility either… he is not a technically proficient player… never a quality 10…

The emergence of JJ has also kind of diminished his worth but one thing I have to point out is that McGinn is very much involved in the “midfield scrap” and brings that much needed aggression or tenacity… would we be too lightweight and “lack fight” with him out of the side? More vulnerable? Have a “softer centre”? Quite possibly…

Despite what I’ve said, I’m not keen on him being a regular or guaranteed starter. In any case, JJ & John should be fighting it out for that singular spot (advanced CM), maybe Sanson too if he hangs around.

JJ is the main man though…

We need another addition who can enhance us as much as BK has… someone who can make us stronger and more resilient. No more us getting overpowered or outmuscled please… MF has been too lightweight/weak for far too long…

• Like 1

I think a lot of it is down to people’s tolerance of what players are not so good at, particularly with midfielders who ideally we want to do a bit of everything.

SJM provides absolutely loads of positives IMO, but it seems like some people have a lower tolerance for where he brings a weakness, which is a tendency to sometimes waste the ball. Personally I can live with that because of all the positives, but like Brian Little used to say, it’s about what they can’t do and can you live with that.

Its an odd one because he’s kind of a throwback player of the sort that every team needed back in the day. He’s not as good a player as Steven Gerrard was, but he’s kind of similar in a lot of ways. Totally committed, hard working, rocket shot, tackles, chases, good character, plays some blinding balls, wastes some others, inspires other players, humble, funny, positive, dedicated…

• Thanks 1

Anyone know if SJM is sightseeing in London. I am in Little Italy at Leicester Square and I am convinced he has just walked by in company of 2 females. I was boxed in so couldn’t run out after him to get a photo with him and my boy. 

He's hit a plateau. Fine player, good character. Has been a brilliant signing for us but he is handcuffing our progression, and the manager is not helping matters by according him special status. We should sell this summer while his value is high.

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think a lot of it is down to people’s tolerance of what players are not so good at, particularly with midfielders who ideally we want to do a bit of everything.

SJM provides absolutely loads of positives IMO, but it seems like some people have a lower tolerance for where he brings a weakness, which is a tendency to sometimes waste the ball. Personally I can live with that because of all the positives, but like Brian Little used to say, it’s about what they can’t do and can you live with that.

Its an odd one because he’s kind of a throwback player of the sort that every team needed back in the day. He’s not as good a player as Steven Gerrard was, but he’s kind of similar in a lot of ways. Totally committed, hard working, rocket shot, tackles, chases, good character, plays some blinding balls, wastes some others, inspires other players, humble, funny, positive, dedicated

I wouldn't agree with the bits in bold tbh. I think that some people want to see these things in McGinn more than they actually can see them - and I'm not saying that you're doing that - but he's a player that some are very protective over and I think it's because they find him relatable and likable. 

To address the points - I find his work rate to be highly inconsistent. Sometimes he's on it and harrying, other times the game passes him by. He has good numbers for tackling, but also high for getting dribbled past and low for pressures.

Of all the players who could benefit from having his position under threat, I think he's pretty much number one in the team who needs it. Otherwise we'll see him coast again with the occasional great performance. 

34 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Anyone know if SJM is sightseeing in London. I am in Little Italy at Leicester Square and I am convinced he has just walked by in company of 2 females. I was boxed in so couldn’t run out after him to get a photo with him and my boy. 

Sure he could be but given they’ve recently landed back from an 18 hour flight from oz I’d be surprised if his first thought would be to hit the West End. Footballers are an odd breed though so who knows.

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Sure he could be but given they’ve recently landed back from an 18 hour flight from oz I’d be surprised if his first thought would be to hit the West End. Footballers are an odd breed though so who knows.

My mate, who knows Tommy Jordan, Communication Director, just contacted him and confirmed that SJM left Australia on much earlier flight and would have been in London. I am gutted I never made every effort to extricate myself from busy Italian restaurant and get a wee photo. Incredibly, we were talking to a Tottenham fan and his wife 10 mins earlier and he asked my 10 year old son which English team he supported. He said Aston Villa because of SJM. Short time later, my daughter shouts “there’s Andy Robertson” excitedly and I am looking out for him. She points him out and I only got his side view but was 99% sure it was SJM. She just got her soccer legends mixed up. He was only walking about, with what appeared to be 2 females in his company. I may never get over this missed opportunity and to tell him of this startling coincidence. 

Its a big season for John Mcginn. Time to prove he a top 8 player by getting us in the top 8. 
Play it simple! Play it on the ground. No more hollywood passes, I wanna see a mature Mcginn, He might not be Xavi but hes got the abilty to play a simple game of football. We cant afford to be giving the ball away in the middle

Edited by messi11

Like his midfield partner Luiz, he shines a little further up the pitch. He's currently playing pretty deep in Gerrard's current system and that stymies him.

I think he'll do well with Kamara playing the deeper role, allowing a little more freedom to get forward. Still part of our best midfield 3, for mine.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Like his midfield partner Luiz, he shines a little further up the pitch. He's currently playing pretty deep in Gerrard's current system and that stymies him.

I think he'll do well with Kamara playing the deeper role, allowing a little more freedom to get forward. Still part of our best midfield 3, for mine.

The thing is, he won't do any better with Kamara there. His role will be exactly the same as it is now, and it will still be too deep to get the best out of him. Sure, we'll probably have more of the ball with a proper dedicated CDM, but he'll still need to play as deep as he does, and he'll still need to cover the wing back.

McGinn isn't great in our formation of choice.

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The thing is, he won't do any better with Kamara there. His role will be exactly the same as it is now, and it will still be too deep to get the best out of him. Sure, we'll probably have more of the ball with a proper dedicated CDM, but he'll still need to play as deep as he does, and he'll still need to cover the wing back.

McGinn isn't great in our formation of choice.

If he is playing the same role this season when kamara is in the team, then its a Gerrard failing, not a mcginn failing. Kamara should be taking over Luiz role as the primary dm, Luiz should be the two-way (to borrow a hockey term) mid, and mcginn should be the most attacking of the 3. Which is a role that should suit him better than last season with heavier defensive responsibilities 

Â