John McGinn

PompeyVillan

My worry isn't that we may need to replace him, as in he needs to have competition and the actual chance to be on the bench.

My worry is that he seems to be one of the undroppables......

Needs too much time and space to pass the ball effectively forwards. Sometimes lacks spatial awareness. Works hard but gets bumped and levered off the ball.

Better defensively at least yesterday.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

My worry isn't that we may need to replace him, as in he needs to have competition and the actual chance to be on the bench.

My worry is that he seems to be one of the undroppables......

He is because we don’t have anyone better. I like McGinn. I actually want to see him in the side next year with a better defensive midfielder behind him and either Grealish or a new 10 in front. 

He’s been poor at times this year, no question, and yes, he does need competition, but I still think his energy, drive and all round attitude is going to be key for this team and squad moving forward. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, absolutely. He’s still our best centre mid and I won’t hear otherwise.

Luiz is better. McGinn is just a hard worker who likes giving the ball away. Douglas ran that game yesterday.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

See, I just don’t agree. In time, Luiz may become the better player but I think right now, McGinn is more effective for us. 

Unpopular opinion, I think Luiz has had a poor season. 

Id say Luiz has been poor since the covid breakout. Since project restart up until covid stuff he'd been excellent. 7-8/10 every game. Yesterday he was excellent. 

Edit I totally agree with you about a dominant CDM type.

Edited by Sulberto21

27 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Sanson is his direct competition but needs a pre-season to get up to speed. 

Edit: and agree McGinn was excellent last night 

Edited by Awol

I don't see where he fits in next season if we sign the DM we've been in desperate need of. Luiz/Sanson are much better passers of the ball and so would be the partner for new signing. McGinn has to be pushed further forward and given the role he's best suited for. He needs to improve and if he gets the goals he'll be doing the job right. 

I still feel we need a Jack style player at 10 and not a McGinn style player. 

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Unfortunately Johns passing is a liability at the moment.

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Very committed played some wonderful passes. 

Interesting.

• Haha 1

I think there would be a lot of clubs in for him if we decide to sell him. With regard to his passing he doesnt go for the simple short pass he tries a an aggressive passes that makes a difference 

Â