John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

he just ran out of steam second half. MgInn and Luiz bot did well. The problem tonight was the lack of quality ahead of them.  Traore didn't have one of his good nights. Barkley did nothing except give the ball away and El Ghazi and Davis were just ordinary. 

Yeah, agreed with this. I thought McGinn had a bit of a shocker in the last 20 minutes or so when he ran out of steam but was otherwise back where you'd want him to be, particularly the first half.  The back 7 all did what you'd want from them today for the most part.

Can someone tell me what form we are waiting for him to get back to? Because I’m yet to see what he can do for us consistently in the prem.... Depending on who we get in... I don’t think he is a starter for us next season. 

• Like 1

Need an upgrade on him, he was alright first half but faded away again.

All this about how he doesn't like to do his fitness or keep it in check, wtf is he doing and playing at when he's playing for Villa? Smith should be thinking if he's not going to train or keep himself top shape then he can be a sub then and I question some of Smith's decisions like this when he favours an unfit player over someone who wouldn't struggle as much during 90mins.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Stop your 9 iron chips forward you useless donut and stop using your ass as a form of defence. It doesn’t work 

You mean jockying? Yeah it works on FIFA and he needs to stop playing it, he's learnt his football from there I think lol.

Been saying it for well over a year, John McGinn is not good enough.

Eze danced around him repeatedly today especially second-half.

McGinn tires at half-time every game, he isn't athletic enough to compete. And someone said last week he struggles with the simplest things i.e. passing to a teammate.

Invites pressure on us every match have because we cannot keep possession.

Always tries to play at 100mph, which is great at times, but not when you need to keep the ball

One instance really stood out 2nd half- ball dropping to him around the centre circle, has all the time in the world to take it down and we can move forward as a team

Instead tries a first time half volley 40 yards out to Jack on the wing, it goes 20 yards over his head and Palace have the ball back

Thought he was outstanding first half. The booking around the hour changed it and he was a passenger after.

At times him basically not being a subbed option in second half goes against us and today was one of those times. Perhaps if Sanson was on the bench he'd have been hooked but I have my doubts on that.

38 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

Can someone tell me what form we are waiting for him to get back to? Because I’m yet to see what he can do for us consistently in the prem.... Depending on who we get in... I don’t think he is a starter for us next season. 

Totally agree with this. He is a bottom 6 premier League/top half championship player. There's a myth that he is out of form but this is his level. He's too slow for the Premier League. He's not strong enough and gets bumped off the ball easily and his passing has been substandard ever since we've been promoted. 

Luiz once again was in the 90's for pass completion and McGinn was in the 70's. Maybe it's because I've grown up watching Spanish and Italian football I prefer touch technique above all else.

For a supposedly high energy player his stamina is not good. He was empty after 40 minutes or so. Love the guy but one is deluding themselves into thinking he's better than what I have described above.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Totally agree with this. He is a bottom 6 premier League/top half championship player. There's a myth that he is out of form but this is his level. He's too slow for the Premier League. He's not strong enough and gets bumped off the ball easily and his passing has been substandard ever since we've been promoted. 

Luiz once again was in the 90's for pass completion and McGinn was in the 70's. Maybe it's because I've grown up watching Spanish and Italian football I prefer touch technique above all else.

For a supposedly high energy player his stamina is not good. He was empty after 40 minutes or so. Love the guy but one is deluding themselves into thinking he's better than what I have described above.

The pass accuracy discrepancy is because Mcginn is always looking for progressive passes to break through the defence whilst Luiz's role is to keep things ticking over. That's how its always been with them although its particularly worse this time because Mcginn was playing in the Barkley position this game whereas Luiz and Ramsey sat deeper.

There's a reason why Mcginn has one of the highest assist rates in the league for a central midfielder despite his passing accuracy being so low.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The pass accuracy discrepancy is because Mcginn is always looking for progressive passes to break through the defence whilst Luiz's role is to keep things ticking over. That's how its always been with them although its particularly worse this time because Mcginn was playing in the Barkley position this game whereas Luiz and Ramsey sat deeper.

There's a reason why Mcginn has one of the highest assist rates in the league for a central midfielder despite his passing accuracy being so low.

Luiz also plays a lot of passes through the lines especially into Jack and Ollie. 

If there is any discrepancy in the stats regarding passes attempted perhaps McGinn should try keeping things a little easier instead of trying the spectacular.

He has Five assists and three goals are people suggesting those are good stats?

His all-round game and performance for the team is much more important and I say again he costs us through getting caught in possession and giving the ball away, he is the main culprit in why teams can pressure us into conceding. McGinn is nearing 27, he isn't getting any better is he?

Eberechi Eze has Six assists and four goals in one less game than McGinn.

If we could have swapped McGinn for Eze Villa would have beaten Palace 3-0.

• Like 1

Â