John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Six times in 45 minutes he gives the ball away. Terrible and unforgiveable regardless of his attributes.

Yes I know he chases around but for me he looks poor positionally in the midfield, always looks uncomfortable. 

was probbaly more than that, he gave it away twice in 10 seconds at one stage

Another poor performance, sloppy passes, slows down attack as he has to bring the ball onto his left foot, but again never gets dropped or subbed, starting to wear thin watching him play 

Some really horrible passing tonight. At least hit a nice floating ball to Targett near the end but he's one of those for me who's played big part in our revival last two years but can't ever see him being a regular in top 6 side in this league, his level is slightly below that.

• Like 1

Thirty really good minutes out of ninety tonight.

He's got it in him, there's no doubt about that - he looks heavy and has done since his ankle injury, which took away some of his energy and bounce, but the player is still there.

He looks like he could do with a summer off, and you'd think we be safe for that with him being Scottish, but sadly not.

58 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe i was watching a different game but i thought he played well. 

If you think that giving the ball away constantly and shooting really badly is playing well then I agree he had a quite stunning game. 

• Like 1

Needs to seriously work on his awareness. Especially trying to play blind passes all the time. It's he biggest problem imo. He sees the pass, before the ball arrives, then plays it not realising the pass isn't there anymore. Other than that he was decent at the start and the end. 

Frustrating really. A number of bad touches and times he gave away possession, but when he was pinging long balls they were hitting their targets more often than not. Even when he's off it, he shows enough to show why the management keep faith in him, but consistency is key and he's not consistent even within one game.

Him and Luiz in a 2 worked earlier in the season, it should work on paper, but it just doesn't seem to click often enough at this point.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 08:38, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not sure McGinn would be happy as a bench player due o his Scotland aspirations.

It's inevitable that he will need to be sold.

One of the two major 'Star' signings we need is to replace McGinn; someone who has an eye for goal and importantly one who can retain possession. Villa are so bad at keeping the ball, McGinn chief culprit for sure but he Traore and El Ghazi (when he plays) put us under pressure so often.

Stuart Armstrong regularly gets called up by Scotland and he's in and out of the Southampton team.

McGinn played a big part over last two years but he's never going to be a Milner type for us imo so I think in time he reverts to being a squad player for us although that will probably happen under a different manager as Dean plays him every single minute of every game if he can walk.

Â