John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, JB said:

That was by far the worst I’ve ever seen him play for us. I am (was?) a big fan but he seems to be getting worse by the week. 

personally, i think you could insert any of the names of our midfield 3 before saying 'seems to be getting worse by the week.'

none of them have demonstrated PL quality in weeks. a decent CM is an absolute must in the summer. hopefully sanson comes good.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He is a big problem for us. He is one of Dean’s favourite players and I don’t see that changing but he is way from good enough on his current form. Awful without the ball much worse with it. He looks so out of condition too. 

Agree. I love him, but he's been shit fr ages and never ever ever gets dropped. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, commander said:

Agree. I love him, but he's been shit fr ages and never ever ever gets dropped. 

That's what frustrates me, every other midfielder's place in the starting 11 is up for grabs. His isn't, and by how he's performed in 2021 it certainly isn't on merit. 

Good for him to finally score though 

• Like 2

There was a moment in the second half that McGinn actually managed to get goal side, ahead of their midfield, with space to run into ahead of their defence. He turned back towards our goal and let city reset. He should have been bursting forward from the centre circle but his first thought was turn back towards my own goal! He then gave the ball away!

This sums up his performances and our whole midfield performances for months. Poor decision making, lack of awareness, lack of energy, no urgency, sloppy execution. 

• Like 1

Great to see him score but to be fair it would have been more difficult to miss from there.

All-round play again non-existent and he gave the ball away four times which is an improvement (at least) on the six against Liverplop.

Against City two of his errors I thought was going to cost us a goal, one especially was really dangerous and reckless play on his part.

Still think he's a liabiility and needs to be benched next season.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just not a fan anymore. Needs to be a squad player next season. 2 years in the prem and if I'm being honest I don't think he's better than Westwood.

Agreed, I like him honestly I do.

As @MaVilla said, he does look overweight and immobile. He costs us every game recklessly giving the ball away.

I’ve defended him for a while but he just ain’t cutting it lately. Gives the ball away too much and never really looks in control of the ball. I think recent weeks have shown how much improvement we still need. It’s becomes really obvious when Jack isn’t on the pitch. 

Love him, but a big part of the reason we turn the ball over so much.

When he grabs his pitching wedge and chips a ball blindly into the middle of the pitch, often to an opposition player, I am sad. He does this far too often.

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just not a fan anymore. Needs to be a squad player next season. 2 years in the prem and if I'm being honest I don't think he's better than Westwood.

He's had good spells in the prem. When we came up he continued what he was doing from the championship with 3 goals in 7 games and some really good performances, was probably more influential for us than Grealish in our first two months back up before Jack moved to the left and got to grips with things.

Since then with the injury he was good start of the season but declined last three months like majority of them.

With his style I think we'd all hoped he'd become as influential as Milner was when he left us but he's a way below that and can't ever see him reaching the heights of go to player for team firmly esrablished in top 6, top 10 just about.

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i tink he looks overweight, he looks immobile.

He doesnt look the lean and mobile player from last year/previous times.

he doesnt look that overweight but his posture looks terrible at times, not sure if its natural but he looks a lot smaller than his actual height because he seems to slouch a lot which makes him look bigger.

In fairness he has been accused of offering nothing in attack recently but a goal and assist in his last 2 games 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he doesnt look that overweight but his posture looks terrible at times, not sure if its natural but he looks a lot smaller than his actual height because he seems to slouch a lot which makes him look bigger.

In fairness he has been accused of offering nothing in attack recently but a goal and assist in his last 2 games 

He would be a great player for Celtic or Rangers. 

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He'd love a move to Celtic, offer him to them + £10million for Edouard. 

I'd be leaning towards asking for money than paying them, but I do rate Édouard. Let's not go crazy.

He also won't be ready to go back north until his five year 60k a week deal has run down a bit.

I'm not writing him off yet as bad as he's been. He's not fit and not over that ankle injury - whether he ever will I'm not sure, signs aren't great.

A very hard and unpleasant pre-season will do him well.

• Like 1

Zero point in selling him to the old firm, neither would bid more than 5m for him given their lack of finances. Celtic were trying to sign him for lower amount than we did in 2018 after all.

McGinn reputation from last 3 years will still put him in 15-20m bracket although he's coming up to 27 now so other clubs won't see him as long term investment anymore but would still be prem interest if we decided to move him on.

Just keep him anyway but it's o.k to take him out for a spell of games if he's not hitting the heights. That will be a test for our summer dealings.

Edited by VillaChris

Â