John McGinn

PompeyVillan

If we are to progress he really has to either step his game up remarkably or become a rotational squad player. Not sure if anyone has any stats at hand, but the amount of times he passed it straight at the opposition was really, really poor. 

On current form the same applies for Luiz, make no mistake. However I do believe Luiz has a higher ceiling and from project restart until the covid break in January has performed to a higher and more consistent standard than McGinn ever has in the prem. 

Their combined lack of height is also a concern, we inevitably lose every areal duel in midfield and that clearly results us in not retaining or losing possession, which we already struggle with to begin with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Like Trez, it's hard to dislike someone who works so hard for the team, but his lack of quality on the ball is painful to watch at times.

Agreed, but I felt he was unusually sloppy lasy night, especially in the 1st half. 

He's now the number 3 worst player in our team due to the constant lack of ball retention.

Luckily Berkley isn't ours but then there's no effort and no final product traore then mgginn for his constant loosing the ball by either terrible passing or holding on too long and being moved off the ball.

I would have mgginn in the 10 role while Jack is out so when he loses it, it's not 25 yards out from our goal.

He would also help with the press as we don't have anyone other than ollie doing it.

Frustrating bit of form lately in particular, his passing yesterday was shocking and gave away simple passes time and time again, however was involved and despite his passing overall being poor there were some good moments of play here and there.

For us to improve next season, Mcginn needs to be a squad player, not a guaranteed starter.

A mixed performance yesterday, a good opening 10-15 minute spell and he meandered until the last 20 minutes or so, I’m not sure if the change to Ramsey helped, but he found a lot more zip. Certainly, in the last 10 minutes, he stepped up and was driving the forward pay more. If he can work on these inconsistencies in his game, and with a more settled Sanson next year and the potential of more competition, he will know not to be as complacent. 

7 hours ago, WooJung said:

Not sure if anyone has any stats at hand, but the amount of times he passed it straight at the opposition was really, really poor. 

It's something i've noticed since last season...

Having watched him much closely over the last dozen matches he averages SIX times passing to the opposition.*

*But he gets an assist and a goal once every twenty games or so, so he gets a break.

If he is playing regularly next season Villa will find it difficult to get into the top half due to his sloppy passes and poor positional sense in the middle. It constantly invites pressure and (some) teams will hurt us as a result.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He's now the number 3 worst player in our team due to the constant lack of ball retention.

Luckily Berkley isn't ours but then there's no effort and no final product traore then mgginn for his constant loosing the ball by either terrible passing or holding on too long and being moved off the ball.

I would have mgginn in the 10 role while Jack is out so when he loses it, it's not 25 yards out from our goal.

He would also help with the press as we don't have anyone other than ollie doing it.

Are you genuinely misspelling Barkley's surname, or is that an abomination of an attempt to be funny?

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's something i've noticed since last season...

Having watched him much closely over the last dozen matches he averages SIX times passing to the opposition.*

*But he gets an assist and a goal once every twenty games or so, so he gets a break.

If he is playing regularly next season Villa will find it difficult to get into the top half due to his sloppy passes and poor positional sense in the middle. It constantly invites pressure and (some) teams will hurt us as a result.

It's unfortunately so. He gifts the opposition way too much and he has to work on this. It's a shame because I can't fault his workrate too much and he does have the occassional killer pass in him. However this gifting away possession due to poor first touches and passing is currently making him a bit of a liability at times. 

9 hours ago, WooJung said:

If we are to progress he really has to either step his game up remarkably or become a rotational squad player. Not sure if anyone has any stats at hand, but the amount of times he passed it straight at the opposition was really, really poor. 

On current form the same applies for Luiz, make no mistake. However I do believe Luiz has a higher ceiling and from project restart until the covid break in January has performed to a higher and more consistent standard than McGinn ever has in the prem. 

Their combined lack of height is also a concern, we inevitably lose every areal duel in midfield and that clearly results us in not retaining or losing possession, which we already struggle with to begin with. 

56 complete from 71 attempted passes, 78.9%. 3rd poorest of the team (not including davis)

the problem is that the midfield is in a fortunate position. none of them are looking for a big move; luiz knows city aren't buying him back. but they also know that midfield probably isn't going to be a priority in the summer. so they're guaranteed plenty of games by default. they're on the beach.

Midfield absolutely will be a priority in the summer. It's glaringly obviously so, so I would hope the club see it too. I'm sure they do. We have good players there that aren't playing good. The balance is wrong and McGinn is a big part of that. He's been awful for half the season at least.

• Like 1

It’s such a strange one. It almost feels like he’s done as a footballer as ridiculous as that sounds. He’s regressed massively. So sad as I think we all love his personality but he’s number 1 to be replaced for me. 

I love him but he doesn't fit into a Smith type scenario, I just don't know how we are supposed to use him.

He and DL are just awful together, replacing one or the other would improve whoever is left and DL has possibly a higher ceiling.

Squad player next year unless we can move on for decent money, in the current market he has to be worth at least 20m.

Edited by Phil Silvers

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

It’s such a strange one. It almost feels like he’s done as a footballer as ridiculous as that sounds. He’s regressed massively. So sad as I think we all love his personality but he’s number 1 to be replaced for me. 

The thing is, it is a regression which means the old McGinn is still in there somewhere.  I'm hoping this terrible form is just that - form, and next season he's back to his best.  Certainly some proper competition will help with that and also act as an insurance policy if he continues to struggle. 

The exact same comments can be made at Luiz, who last summer we were worried Citeh would be buying back. 

Â