John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I thought he was sloppy and for all his running was inneffective again. But saying that everyone was tonight. I am worried he wont regain his form and may get replaced in the summer, relegated to squad player rather than first 11.

I'd be amazed if that happens at any point in next 12 months, he's still one of Smith's disciples after all.

However subbing him off on the odd occasion around 70th min mark shouldn't be deemed some unacceptable act. Once Sanson is fit and on the bench again it is an obvious option to do so we'll see if DS starts to do it more next season to give us a bit more energy in there at key point of the game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd be amazed if that happens at any point in next 12 months, he's still one of Smith's disciples after all.

However subbing him off on the odd occasion around 70th min mark shouldn't be deemed some unacceptable act. Once Sanson is fit and on the bench again it is an obvious option to do so we'll see if DS starts to do it more next season to give us a bit more energy in there at key point of the game.

I think everyone barring Jack are in danger of losing their starting place this summer. If they spend big it could be 4 new midfield/wingers/forwards purchased for starting positions. Something has got to give....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think everyone barring Jack are in danger of losing their starting place this summer. If they spend big it could be 4 new midfield/wingers/forwards purchased for starting positions. Something has got to give....

Don't see it. We'll kick off next season imo with same back 5 as tonight (but hopefully some Konsa type backups to hopefully grown into starters over next few years) and I really think it will be Luiz and McGinn as the midfielders (although Doug may be at the Olympics). However it's the two positions either side of Jack and Ollie where we must go big and ambitious on as that's how you get another 5-10 points out of this squad as we can't do that much more from defensive side given this was 15th clean sheet.

And another striker in some form.

I'd like to say McGinn was better but that would only be true for the first-half.

Second-half he tired and was outdone a few times, a bit sloppy again and still gave the ball away far too much for my liking.

Thought Luiz looked better to be honest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He was amazing in the first half but unfortunately dropped off quite a lot in the second 45. 

Absolutely, good first-half and the disappeared after about fifty minutes.

We should have subbed him at sixty minutes.

First half he played well , out of his skin almost. But he still allowed Allan of all players to get behind him and he couldn't even catch Allan! Second half reverted to type giving the ball away. Letting people run off him as per usual. 

Too many people love John McGinn the person but forget John McGinn the footballer isn't actually that good.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

First half he played well , out of his skin almost. But he still allowed Allan of all players to get behind him and he couldn't even catch Allan! Second half reverted to type giving the ball away. Letting people run off him as per usual. 

Too many people love John McGinn the person but forget John McGinn the footballer isn't actually that good.

To say he isn’t actually that good is a vast overstatement, best player on the pitch first half. You could argue that we can replace him with someone even better, but not that he’s not very good. 

Just now, 7392craig said:

To say he isn’t actually that good is a vast overstatement, best player on the pitch first half. You could argue that we can replace him with someone even better, but not that he’s not very good

One can say what they like without breaking the rules. 😉

Also a game last 90 minutes not 45. To achieve that first half he had to play out of his skin. Which is why he was poor in the second. 

Had he not played out of his skin he would have been his usual self a 6/10

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

One can say what they like without breaking the rules. 😉

Also a game last 90 minutes not 45. To achieve that first half he had to play out of his skin. Which is why he was poor in the second. 

Had he not played out of his skin he would have been his usual self a 6/10

You can, it can still make no sense. I’m not actually saying you CAN’T say it.

Also, that may all be true of tonight’s game. It adds nothing to suggest that McGinn is not that good a footballer.

Edit: Sorry, I didn’t see the part in bold. I had no idea you were on the wind up.

Edited by 7392craig

Just now, 7392craig said:

You can, it can still make no sense. I’m not actually saying you CAN’T say it.

Also, that may all be true of tonight’s game. It adds nothing to suggest that McGinn is not that good a footballer.

Ok thanks for letting me know. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Don't see it. We'll kick off next season imo with same back 5 as tonight (but hopefully some Konsa type backups to hopefully grown into starters over next few years) and I really think it will be Luiz and McGinn as the midfielders (although Doug may be at the Olympics). However it's the two positions either side of Jack and Ollie where we must go big and ambitious on as that's how you get another 5-10 points out of this squad as we can't do that much more from defensive side given this was 15th clean sheet.

And another striker in some form.

I am sure it will kick off as the end of this season, Smith is never in a rush to blood new players, but come the seasons end I am sure it will be quite different.

he just ran out of steam second half. MgInn and Luiz bot did well. The problem tonight was the lack of quality ahead of them.  Traore didn't have one of his good nights. Barkley did nothing except give the ball away and El Ghazi and Davis were just ordinary. 

• Like 2

He’d be an incredible super sub option.  Needs to be rotated, he may have the endurance to go a full 90 but he isn’t in good enough shape to do it at this level, he loses the extra gear around the 65 minute mark.  Hat tip to him he keeps huffing and puffing around and that’s enough in the championship, but against top half sides he drops off the pace.  Would be good for him to get with whoever is training Targett. Maybe lay off the cheps.

• Thanks 1

Â