John McGinn

PompeyVillan

His distribution is woeful, I have no idea what his brain is thinking when he tries some of his ridiculous over the top passes. He fails more than he connects. He needs to be a squad player next year and shouldn't be starting as many games. Let's hope we can find a replacement in the summer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe he is being played in the wrong end of midfield.

Play him where he used to play in midfield as a more attacking threat rather than a defensive type, I think we would see a big improvement imo.

... I thought that was where he played against Liverpool?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Maybe he is being played in the wrong end of midfield.

Play him where he used to play in midfield as a more attacking threat rather than a defensive type, I think we would see a big improvement imo.

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not?

• Like 1

John McGinn is exactly the type of player you want to change/protect a game coming off the bench. He would benefit having someone seriously putting his starting berth under threat because of the character he is. He’s a battleaxe and a fighter who would raise his levels in that scenario I feel. Hopefully we are in a position next season where this could happen. We all love him and want him to succeed, which he has to a large extent during his time at Villa, but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to push to get more from him. 1 deflected goal all season has been disappointing. 2 if that one at Arsenal counted. Ill always back him but Smith cant be afraid to replace him if he’s not playing well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

John McGinn is exactly the type of player you want to change/protect a game coming off the bench. He would benefit having someone seriously putting his starting berth under threat because of the character he is. He’s a battleaxe and a fighter who would raise his levels in that scenario I feel. Hopefully we are in a position next season where this could happen. We all love him and want him to succeed, which he has to a large extent during his time at Villa, but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to push to get more from him. 1 deflected goal all season has been disappointing. 2 if that one at Arsenal counted. Ill always back him but Smith cant be afraid to replace him if he’s not playing well.

McGinn isn't going to protect the game though, he'd just give the ball away and invite pressure.

He's a liability.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

I don't know what's happened to him. The ball used to stick to him like glue, he'd stick that arse out and no one could get near him.  Now he's robbed all the time.  Sussed out by better quality players than he's played against before?

The arse is dead. 

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't know what's happened to him. The ball used to stick to him like glue, he'd stick that arse out and no one could get near him.  Now he's robbed all the time.  Sussed out by better quality players than he's played against be for?

The arse is dead. 

The meatball turned into the doughball. He has all the agility of a brick.

He seemingly continues to waste good opportunities by trying that ball over the top (which feels like it always fails), instead of playing a couple of simple passes to open a defence up that way, and it's so frustrating to watch.

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I agree with your point.

I couldn't tell you how many games he's come off the bench for us, can't be many. I do remember at Blues in the Jack game though, he was brilliant coming on.

He's not playing well at all but I can't see us getting to a position by the start of next season where he's regularly on the bench. Makes himself an easier target than others by not hiding and trying to make things happen constantly.

I don't think he's ever got over that big ankle injury from December 2019. He's played like SJM can less than five times since he's come back.

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Very witty from John but he should be sleeping at this hour of the night, training in the morning I presume.

Been stated by Dean that players don't start training until 10am (I think, possibly even later).

Mentioned it was due to current lifestyles of the yoof of today, and that in fact training later aligns better with when you tend to play football matches anyway so hardly an issue. It's like their body clocks are shifted a couple of hours from 9-5 folks... and why shouldn't it be when they don't work 9-5? Still not a sure I'm a fan.

• Like 1

He is a big problem for us. He is one of Dean’s favourite players and I don’t see that changing but he is way from good enough on his current form. Awful without the ball much worse with it. He looks so out of condition too. 

• Like 3

Â