John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Could see him going for 20-25 million if we wanted to sell him. He's a proven PL player and can do a job for a midtable PL team. Those are the kinds of figures you'd be looking at for a player like him nowadays. Of course I'd rather not sell him obviously unless the money is really worth it.

I remember the days when he was being rumoured for a 50m move to Manchested United

Don't think we should sell him not just yet.

Although I do think for the time we bought him we were a championship side looking for championship players. Last season he looked great early on but since that injury who's to know if his form would of carried on.

I think he would be a fantastic option for now if Mcginn was a super sub, but we do need to buy way way better.

Realistically in another season or two we may be at the point we could sell Mcginn but that's only if we're going after regular 40 mill and up players anyhow.

We just have to remove the ceiling on our signings now and reach the new height

• Like 1

I'm not sure McGinn would be happy as a bench player due o his Scotland aspirations.

It's inevitable that he will need to be sold.

One of the two major 'Star' signings we need is to replace McGinn; someone who has an eye for goal and importantly one who can retain possession. Villa are so bad at keeping the ball, McGinn chief culprit for sure but he Traore and El Ghazi (when he plays) put us under pressure so often.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm not sure McGinn would be happy as a bench player due o his Scotland aspirations.

It's inevitable that he will need to be sold.

We need a squad. McGinn is exactly the type of player you would want as a squad player. He would still play 15-20 games a season and feature off the bench regularly. Also it's not like he's going to lose his place in the Scotland team, they don't have any players to replace him. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

We need a squad. McGinn is exactly the type of player you would want as a squad player. He would still play 15-20 games a season and feature off the bench regularly. Also it's not like he's going to lose his place in the Scotland team, they don't have any players to replace him. 

McGinn is the opposite of a player you want coming off the bench. You want young players who will get better or old heads who can't do the full 90 any more but will keep possession and steady the ship. Mcginn is a player who admitted he doesn't like training. He can't stay fit when he isn't playing because of this.

On top of all that when he does play all he does are Hollywood passes and presses never playing simple balls which prevents him from being a useful attacking sub. Nor does he press when he should. He doesn't track his runner which is a necessity and he doesn't offer an aerial presence to offer us more solidity against set pieces or more threat on offensive ones. 

We should move him on at the first opportunity. 25 million would be a great price point which we could use to finance either a few smaller moves to build depth like Olise, another Lb, another CB and another striker. Or we could use it to finance one larger move like a Denis Zakaria. 

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Sadly a mindset which a certain subset of Villa fan seems to find a lot of comfort in 

I'm generally overwhelmingly positive towards our players. I was pretty much the only person defending el ghazi last season and defending guilbert after cash moved here.

But the fact is mcginn has been poor ever since his first 10 games in the prem. He has put on a load of muscle mass and lost his speed and stamina like gabby. He plays lazy passes and doesn't put in the effort to defend properly as evidenced by him costing us a game against Newcastle in the 94th minute when he didn't close down the crosser. He sells himself for stupid presses where he has a 1/100 chance of getting the ball and then doesn't get back in position and is buggered for the next 10 minutes. He is poor as an attacking midfielder because of his positioning and as a defensive midfielder his ill-discipline and lazy tackles put us in trouble as it easily allows teams to bypass him and waltz through our midfield. 

He is good enough for a bottom 1/3 team. He isn't good enough for a top half team with aspirations of more. Certainly not worth having on the bench as a player with his international aspirations and inability to stay fit without consistent game time is just asking for trouble. Furthermore he is one of the few players we can sell who will generate substantial revenue. I wouldn't sell him if we were also losing Luiz as that would be too much midfield turnover but right now he is a weakness not a strength. 

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm generally overwhelmingly positive towards our players. I was pretty much the only person defending el ghazi last season and defending guilbert after cash moved here.

But the fact is mcginn has been poor ever since his first 10 games in the prem. He has put on a load of muscle mass and lost his speed and stamina like gabby. He plays lazy passes and doesn't put in the effort to defend properly as evidenced by him costing us a game against Newcastle in the 94th minute when he didn't close down the crosser. He sells himself for stupid presses where he has a 1/100 chance of getting the ball and then doesn't get back in position and is buggered for the next 10 minutes. He is poor as an attacking midfielder because of his positioning and as a defensive midfielder his ill-discipline and lazy tackles put us in trouble as it easily allows teams to bypass him and waltz through our midfield. 

He is good enough for a bottom 1/3 team. He isn't good enough for a top half team with aspirations of more. Certainly not worth having on the bench as a player with his international aspirations and inability to stay fit without consistent game time is just asking for trouble. Furthermore he is one of the few players we can sell who will generate substantial revenue. I wouldn't sell him if we were also losing Luiz as that would be too much midfield turnover but right now he is a weakness not a strength. 

He is a player that is trying to take on every single bit of defensive and attacking duty because of the dross around him. His form has been poorer recently but lazyness is the complete opposite. He needs a prorer rest and competition to bring the best back out of him. Playing further forward in the last 2 have brought a goal and assist do positionally cannot be as bad as you make out.

In football there are playrrs you just dont fancy no matter what you do, he is yours. That's fine. I just feel you are being overly harsh on him. It's massively hypocritical the way you lavish praise on el ghazi.

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Short memories. Our best midfielder by a country mile. Anybody thinking sell him has totally lost the plot

Way it is on here, player plays poor get rid of him. His form has been pretty bad but people are so fickle they will happily sell instead of allowing a player to play way back into form

Not just McGinn either, other players get this as well

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Way it is on here, player plays poor get rid of him. His form has been pretty bad but people are so fickle they will happily sell instead of allowing a player to play way back into form

Not just McGinn either, other players get this as well

Lucky Deano is in charge then!

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

The lads in claret and blue John. Pass it to them. Good lad.

Overated that. Either spank it 90 yards to nobody 0.2 seconds after receiving it or take 3 days to make a 5 yard pass to the opposition.

Nothing in between. None of that first time pass to a teammate that's right in front of you stuff.

25 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

5 times in 26 minutes McGinn gives the ball away in the first half against WBA.

FIVE times, incredible!

Yep.... But he's still chasing, tackling and contributing.

Also quite a few very good attacking passes too.

Six times in 45 minutes he gives the ball away. Terrible and unforgiveable regardless of his attributes.

Yes I know he chases around but for me he looks poor positionally in the midfield, always looks uncomfortable. 

Â