Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Don't remember the 80s but we've still got a Wimpy here but no McDonald's or Burger King.

Where are you? I know there are a few left, mostly in small or seaside towns. 

32 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Oh I’ve no doubt. We had some Quorn Sausages over Christmas (like sausage on sticks, sort of thing). They were nice enough. I won’t pretend they were the best I’ve ever tasted but they’d be absolutely fine in a meal with onions, vegetable stock etc.

Quorn ones are ok but not great.

Cauldron are probably the best for being like normal pork sausages. You'd struggle to notice the difference.

The ones I had were sainsbury's "shroomdogs". They were delicious.

• Thanks 1

I like subway  , nice and easy .. bit of bread , slap on some meat , add some fake cheese , 30 secs in the oven , skip the section with the green & red  stuff  , bit of ketchup or BBQ ... job done and without the need for having to wash up had I made it at home

problem in my work town is Subway is  next door to KFC so when I walk down thinking I fancy a subway , i get way laid by the smell of chicken and end up in KFC instead ( though the fit Polish girl has left so minus 1 point for KFC)

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Way back in the 80s, Wimpy bars (remember them?) used to do a spicy beanburger which was really nice, easily the best burger they did. 

There's a Wimpey just down the road from me, they still do them, and they are still delicious. Wimpey do great fries too.

hahhahaahahahahah banter!!!!

I will never understand why people are so offended over companies expanding their offering to make their products more available for everyone...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

hahhahaahahahahah banter!!!!

I will never understand why people are so offended over companies expanding their offering to make their products more available for everyone...

snowflakes. there's less meat in a normal sausage roll at Greggs, anyway.

On 03/01/2019 at 13:38, wazzap24 said:

I was only thinking about this yesterday!

I used to go to the one in Town (Brum town), by the old Toys R us with me mum. 

The Spicy Beanburger was amazing. 

Same. My Dad would take me to Toys R Us (to buy a Zoid or Gobot or a pack of Top Trumps) then to Wimpy.

Dale End resembles Mogadishu now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/01/2019 at 14:02, bickster said:

The one in Liverpool only closed last year, there's still one in Birkenhead

The last Wimpy I saw was at Sandbach services (or Knutsford, can't be sure). Its a Maccies or Burger King now. 

Edited by Xela

On 03/01/2019 at 15:44, tonyh29 said:

problem in my work town is Subway is  next door to KFC so when I walk down thinking I fancy a subway , i get way laid by the smell of chicken and end up in KFC instead ( though the fit Polish girl has left so minus 1 point for KFC)

Bloody Brexit! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep all this The Vegan Sausage Rolls from Greggs taste as nice as the meat ones avoid one crucial bit of info

The meat ones taste gash anyway

They're cheap, greasy shite. But sometimes cheap greasy shite just hits the spot.

• Like 2

This almost certainly came up before, but inspired by the vaccination discussion earlier, where do vegans sit with vaccines? Many vaccines use animals/animal products.

Edited by Chindie

I rarely shit with vaccines at all, but if I do, I insist on it being in the bathroom.

In all seriousness though, anti-vaxxers are idiots. 

I've not cleared this with the vegan council, and I've not given it much thought as I've not required a vaccination in years, but my view on it is that if it were a decision that only affected me, depending on what the vaccination is for I'd potentially risk it. However,  failing to vaccinate doesn't just endanger yourself, it endangers the lives of others. For me, veganism is about minimising harm as much as reasonably possible. Risking communal infection and death doesn't seem like a sane choice for me.

I'd certainly like to see much greater efforts to minimise animal derived ingredients in vaccines and medication in general though. In some cases it may not be possible, but in lots it is, where the ingredients are non-active. Lots of medication includes gelatin for example, which is easily avoidable.

Edited by Davkaus

Â