Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 09:53, Stevo985 said:

Very much considering doing "Veganuary" next month...

Was bought this for my birthday so I'll give it a read beforehand :)

isbn9781473680975.jpg

Definitely happening. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I am in the weird position where I dislike these happy go lucky veggie rocket polishers, but I eat very little meat and the older I get I tend to cut more and more meat from my diet. I've even started using some kinda soy based thing for my tacos. Honestly think I eat meat maybe twice a month, if that. I eat fish though, dunno if that's acceptable for you lot. 

Hypocrit I am :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am in the weird position where I dislike these happy go lucky veggie rocket polishers, but I eat very little meat and the older I get I tend to cut more and more meat from my diet. I've even started using some kinda soy based thing for my tacos. Honestly think I eat meat maybe twice a month, if that. I eat fish though, dunno if that's acceptable for you lot. 

Hypocrit I am :D

What's a "happy go lucky veggie rocket polisher"?

Eating fish being acceptable depends who you talk to. I personally don't eat fish anymore because I don't want to eat any animal that has had to die. There are plenty of pescatarians who don't eat meat but do eat fish (my OH being one, for the most part). That seems weird to me but each to their own.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I reckon it’s people who make a decision about their own life but then feel the need to ram it down everyone else’s throat (pun intended :lol: ).

c1d.jpg

Happy go lucky is a weird phrase to use to describe someone like that. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What's a "happy go lucky veggie rocket polisher"?

Ridiculous phrase :lol: 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Eating fish being acceptable depends who you talk to. I personally don't eat fish anymore because I don't want to eat any animal that has had to die. There are plenty of pescatarians who don't eat meat but do eat fish (my OH being one, for the most part). That seems weird to me but each to their own.

Yeah I've never understood why some "vegetarians" make a decision that eating fish is okay.  Absolutely no logic in that imo. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I reckon it’s people who make a decision about their own life but then feel the need to ram it down everyone else’s throat (pun intended :lol: ).

c1d.jpg

I've told you enough times, stop taking photos of me at the urinal.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Ridiculous phrase :lol: 

Yeah I've never understood why some "vegetarians" make a decision that eating fish is okay.  Absolutely no logic in that imo. 

I would imagine it's because...

a) they taste nice

b) they don't look cute

• Like 1

I think it’s more that it’s viewed as more humane and less cruel. 

Which might be true but isn’t really the issue for me. 

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I would imagine it's because...

a) they taste nice

b) they don't look cute

And therein lies the crux of the problem. Some people hate what they see as compromise, half measures. 'Black and white' absolutism is appealing. You see it in politics with the whole 'hard left'/'hard right' thing. 

But in practice, we all draw a line somewhere. Most meat eaters close their eyes to factory farming cruelty, but draw distinctions like 'eating cows is OK, but eating horses isn't'. Or dogs and cats. It's very often based around whether we see a particular species as cute and cuddly. 

Yet vegetarians, and even vegans, draw a similar line, they just choose to draw it further down the chain. OK to kill fish? Maybe yes, maybe no. Insects? Erm... 

Ultimately, you could end up with the reductio ad absurdam of some eastern religions, where acolytes wear gauze masks in case they inadvertently breathe in tiny insects, and walk around gingerly to avoid stepping on a fly. Kill no living thing? Threats to human health? Mosquitos? Bacteria? It's a problem, eh? 

It's all compromise. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

c1d.jpg

This has pretty much been illustrated in this thread. Someone posted they have a Veganism book a while back then, a couple of weeks later, quote their own post to tell people how they’re going vegan for a month when absolutely nobody asked or gives a **** 😂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's unfair. It was totally relevant to this thread (clue: the thread title). 

What's worse, vegetarians telling people they're vegetarians, or carnivores' constant need to take the piss out of them with the same old 'jokes'? 

And I speak as a carnivore. 

Omnivore surely?  I know you don't like veg but not quite that much ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Omnivore surely?  I know you don't like veg but not quite that much ;)

Well, yes. I'm using 'carnivore' to mean 'someone who eats meat (among other things)', but you're right. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That's been recently disproved now though hasn't it, along with the 3 second memory thing

Kurt Cobain didn't know that though :(

Edited by Chindie
  • Haha 1

On 17/12/2018 at 09:53, Stevo985 said:

Very much considering doing "Veganuary" next month...

Was bought this for my birthday so I'll give it a read beforehand :)

isbn9781473680975.jpg

Yes! Here if you need advice. I'm finishing up a new magazine atm, once done (and before Feb issue starts) I will try and get some recipes written up :) 

• Thanks 1

Â