Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I watched that Jamie Oliver programme with Romesh Ranganathan last night.

Food looked amazing tbf. 

Question for people who know about this kind of stuff. 

With regard to the environmental impact of meat eating, how do the other meats compare to Beef? 

I see a lot about the impact of industrial cow farming, but how do chickens/pigs/sheep etc compare?

If we all gave up Beef, but continued with the rest, would that have a significantly positive impact on the environment?

I don't think I could give up meat entirely, but I could probably knock red meat on the head without too much effort. 

It would even if you replaced it with other meat, cattle is by far the most inefficient of your standard meats, in terms of land, water and waste per kg produced.

Obviously if you replaced it with substitutes or just more veg that would be even better.

• Thanks 1

For @wazzap24 and @mjmooney - talk of the (Wimpy) devil on the BBC site today

Wimpy: A history
Wimpy opened in the UK in 1954 at Lyon's Corner House in London
During the 1970s, it had more than 1,000 branches across 23 countries
It became the first major fast food chain to offer a meat or fish-free burger in 1985
There are 67 branches still open in England
Essex has the most locations with 18

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-46760299

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2019 at 00:10, Dick said:

I didn't trust shop made foods and snacks. I cook fresh every day, soups, salads, hot and cold foods

This is just good sense, whether you eat meat fish, dairy, or none of the above.

• Like 1

This  may be interesting for vegans.

Trees have friends, feel loneliness, scream with pain and communicate underground via the “woodwide web”

If trees, and plants, have feelings, sensations, some kind of memory, what is the rationale for eating them and not animals?  Presumably the level of intelligence as perceived by us.  A similar kind of problem as eating tiny beings living and growing on salad leaves, only bigger.

• Like 2

Stupid question, but where do vegans stand with eggs? If you had a pet chicken, would you eat the eggs? Because the chicken would be laying the eggs anyway, so it's not really exploiting the chicken, the eggs would be eaten by the chickens (sometimes), but what about the ones that don't, do they just go to waste? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Stupid question, but where do vegans stand with eggs? If you had a pet chicken, would you eat the eggs? Because the chicken would be laying the eggs anyway, so it's not really exploiting the chicken, the eggs would be eaten by the chickens (sometimes), but what about the ones that don't, do they just go to waste? 

They fart enough eating all those beans that the human body can't break down efficiently, chucking eggs into the mix is just a recipe for yet more greenhouse gases, we're better off with cows :mrgreen:

But more seriously, vegans and pets, lots of vegans seem to have them

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peterms said:

If trees, and plants, have feelings, sensations, some kind of memory, what is the rationale for eating them and not animals?  Presumably the level of intelligence as perceived by us.  A similar kind of problem as eating tiny beings living and growing on salad leaves, only bigger.

Plants definately have responses to being hurt. Thought they were hormonal based or something, but they would need to be able to react to toxins, fungus and outer "trauma". But I thought for feelings to be produced it required neurons. And I also thought plants didn't have neurons. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Apparently they don't call them pets. They're 'animal companions'.  

• Haha 1

I'm going to go veggie for breakfast and lunches from tomorrow. See how I get on. Not quite ready to go cold (veggie) turkey yet! 

Was a veggie for 2 years or so about 15 years ago but I was living at home then and my Mom loved cooking so it was easy for me! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm going to go veggie for breakfast and lunches from tomorrow. See how I get on. Not quite ready to go cold (veggie) turkey yet! 

Was a veggie for 2 years or so about 15 years ago but I was living at home then and my Mom loved cooking so it was easy for me! 

This is not a veggie book (though most recipes are veggie), but there's a lot of good ideas in it for anyone wanting to broaden their range of veggie dishes.

image.png.edbea5af082b150e144add14447fa774.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

What's your problem with that?

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Do we? I wish someone had told me before, I must have been making a right fool out of myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

:)

For some reason despite being on their eat-in menu for months, vegan cheese is still not available for delivery. :( 

Pizza delivery is an option if I'm going to be really lazy, but if I'm going to eat out then I'm not going to a **** Pizza Hut.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's the editorial policy of a single site. It might surprise a few people on here but there's not some sort of vegan committee, with rules and policies for us all to follow. We're just a loosely defined group of people that all have our own opinions. Some which broadly align, and some that don't.

I'm surprised at this post based on reading some other topics this afternoon, to be honest. One moment you're posting in a bolitics thread pointing out that there's actually a broad range of opinion in your demographic with many supporting Remain, despite statistical evidence showing over 60s are broadly in favour of Brexit. The next you're happy to look at another demographic you're not part of, and take some specific examples and apply it to the whole group.

It's very easy to see the many shades of grey in the groups that we identify with, while assuming things are very black and white when looking at groups that don't involve ourselves.

17 hours ago, peterms said:

I was wondering this the other day, people who don’t eat meat because they don’t want to be complicit in the death of a living creature, how they deal with all the trees that we use for furniture, paper, whatever.

Not trying to catch anyone out, genuinely curious what the thought process/rationale is. Does it come down to a lack of consciousness on the trees part that justifies it, or is it something that you just accept is quite difficult to change? Or a bit of both, which I think if I was of that persuasion, it might be.

If plants turned out to be some kind of intelligent being with a true sense of consciousness and perception of pain...And my goal is to minimise harm, and it turns out that plants are on the same level as animals....I guess the logical conclusion is to start eating the most harmful invasive species on the planet.

Watch out lads, I'm going people hunting. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Cats can't survive on a vegan diet, so I've often wondered how vegans reconcile that with their beliefs, whether they choose not to have cats or just feed them meat anyway.

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Cats can't survive on a vegan diet

They can actually. Not a natural vegan diet, they're obligate carnivores, but if you're feeding a cat processed food from the pet animal companion aisle, the essential ingredient (taurine) is supplemented anyway. There are a few brands that add exactly the same supplements to have a nutritionally balanced vegan cat food.

I was curious and tried to see whether my cats would eat it; one seemed to notice no difference (to be fair, he frequently grooms the carpet, so I wasn't surprised, he'll eat anything), but the other one seemed to object and went out hunting instead.

Edited by Davkaus

Â