Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Fair do’s to the media team at Greggs regarding their vegan sausage rolls. They’re giving as good as their getting.

Not on twitter so can’t post the tweets, but they’ve taken on Piers Morgan and other idiots who are crying over the inclusion of their new product. Worth a look for those interested.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

I just popped in to Gregg's to get a couple of them. 

They're delicious, and also slightly greasy and shameful. Exactly how I remember Greggs being. That hit the spot.

The extra tastiness from Piers Moron's tears didn't hurt.

• Like 3

I've thought about this a lot.

I'm going to become 'Flexiterian'. Eat no meat in the week. I don't think I'm ready to go fully veggie, but I definitely want to reduce my intake.

• Like 1

I’ve gone through this thread, it’s been fairly interesting.

I’m going to try and cut back on meat, not stop completely because I like it and life’s too short. But if I’m doing, I don’t know, a sausage casserole or something, I’ll use the quorn variety or similar. Maybe have meat in 3-5 meals a week. I think that’s a reasonable proportion.

More down to a more rounded diet, rather than environmental reasons.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve gone through this thread, it’s been fairly interesting.

I’m going to try and cut back on meat, not stop completely because I like it and life’s too short. But if I’m doing, I don’t know, a sausage casserole or something, I’ll use the quorn variety or similar. Maybe have meat in 3-5 meals a week. I think that’s a reasonable proportion.

More down to a more rounded diet, rather than environmental reasons.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a new vegetarian... but I honestly think (some) veggie sausages are nicer than pork sausages anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just popped in to Gregg's to get a couple of them. 

They're delicious, and also slightly greasy and shameful. Exactly how I remember Greggs being. That hit the spot.

The extra tastiness from Piers Moron's tears didn't hurt.

Yeah I popped up the road to get one at lunch earlier. It tasted... like a sausage roll. Lovely :)

And Piers Morgan continues to be a massive word removed. He's kicked off about the veggie happy meals too. The word removed.

Being angry about people not wanting to eat animals is an incredibly strange reaction.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not just saying this because I'm a new vegetarian... but I honestly think (some) veggie sausages are nicer than pork sausages anyway. 

Pork sausages can be incredible or disgusting depending on what you go for.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've thought about this a lot.

I'm going to become 'Flexiterian'. Eat no meat in the week. I don't think I'm ready to go fully veggie, but I definitely want to reduce my intake.

I've toyed with the idea of going meat free for a week, not with a view to becoming vegetarian but just to see how easy I find it. 

I'm also aiming to cut out all processed meats etc.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Pork sausages can be incredible or disgusting depending on what you go for.

Absolutely. Same with veggie ones to be honest.

But I've had some veggie sausages recently, mushroom based ones flavoured with caramelised onion and cheese and they were incredible. I can't remember having a nicer pork sausage, and if I have there's not much in it. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely. Same with veggie ones to be honest.

But I've had some veggie sausages recently, mushroom based ones flavoured with caramelised onion and cheese and they were incredible. I can't remember having a nicer pork sausage, and if I have there's not much in it. 

You lost me at mushroom based🤮

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Ha I thought I would :) They didn't taste like mushroom to be honest, tasted like a normal sausage.

I guess the point I was making was around one I made earlier in the thread regarding necessity.

Sausages are one thing that I've found are almost no different whether they have meat in them or not. Arguably they're better. 

If you really want a steak, then you don't really have any other option than a piece of cow.
Whereas you could easily have a sausage sandwich without the dead animal and it's just as good.

If people are looking to cut down on meat rather than give it up, that's a good one to tick off the list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why would anyone have a strop about vegan lines being introduced, it's not likely to replace any of the meat options at McDonald's or wherever.  It's just companies finding a new market to target, a no-brainer really.

Because they're words removed.

And they're going to get more and more angry as it's a quickly growing market. I think any big supermarket or chain restaurant would be mad not to start introducing more veggie and vegan products.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've always liked the smell of mushrooms cooking, it's just when I put one in my mouth that I feel the need to spit it out, I hate that texture.  If it had the consistency of a normal sausage it would probably be alright, but then I'm never going to give up eating meat.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why would anyone have a strop about vegan lines being introduced, it's not likely to replace any of the meat options at McDonald's or wherever.  It's just companies finding a new market to target, a no-brainer really.

Something, something, aggressive vegan lobby.

Next time someone posts on here about the aggressive vegans shoving their life choices in people's face, I'll remind them of the number of rage-filled imbeciles that are furious about a vegan sausage roll.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Way back in the 80s, Wimpy bars (remember them?) used to do a spicy beanburger which was really nice, easily the best burger they did. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I’ve no doubt. We had some Quorn Sausages over Christmas (like sausage on sticks, sort of thing). They were nice enough. I won’t pretend they were the best I’ve ever tasted but they’d be absolutely fine in a meal with onions, vegetable stock etc.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Way back in the 80s, Wimpy bars (remember them?) used to do a spicy beanburger which was really nice, easily the best burger they did. 

I was only thinking about this yesterday!

I used to go to the one in Town (Brum town), by the old Toys R us with me mum. 

The Spicy Beanburger was amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Never had a subway, the smell makes me feel sick.

100% this.

A long while back our company used to have contracts with all the major international fast food chains, to take their staff home at the end of the night. They all tended to smell of the food they'd been around but Subway staff were consistently the worst foul smelling beasts. I've picked up tramps that smelled better. Never ever eaten in Subway because of that

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't remember the 80s but we've still got a Wimpy here but no McDonald's or Burger King.

Â