Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

hahhahaahahahahah banter!!!!

I will never understand why people are so offended over companies expanding their offering to make their products more available for everyone...

What a mong.

On 03/01/2019 at 13:28, Stevo985 said:

I think any big supermarket or chain restaurant would be mad not to start introducing more veggie and vegan products.

On this note, this seems to have been a huge month for this sort of thing. 

TGI Friday, McDonalds and Pizza Hut piled in on Piers Morgan after his Greggs meltdown to show off their new veggie/vegan ranges.

Gf says Aldi have got loads of vegan stuff in this month in their special buys for Veganuary.

And I popped into M&S today to get some lunch and their new Plant Kitchen range they've just brought out is really good! I had cashew mac and "cheese" and some sushi but they had loads of different stuff. Full on meals or loads of little wraps and pots you could have as work lunches.

It's growing.

Sainsbury's have released loads of new stuff as well. 

It's an amazing change since I first started looking for vegan stuff about 3 years ago. It was rare for this to even be labelled as vegan if they were. I can't believe how quickly its changed toalmost every shop both labelling vegan items and stocking vegan product ranges. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2019 at 13:44, bickster said:

100% this.

A long while back our company used to have contracts with all the major international fast food chains, to take their staff home at the end of the night. They all tended to smell of the food they'd been around but Subway staff were consistently the worst foul smelling beasts. I've picked up tramps that smelled better. Never ever eaten in Subway because of that

I used to work in Subway. This is a massive overreaction. Ridiculous.

Anyway, back on topic, will be ‘going vegan’ (if you can call it that when you know it isn’t permanent) for a couple of weeks from Monday. Have done it for a week at a time a few times in the past year - I enjoy the challenge, find that we cook more adventurously instead of having the same few meals again and again.

I actually find the lack of dairy harder than the lack of meat - not something I expected before taking it on. Oat milk has been the best for hot drinks but not enjoyed any of them over cereal, we have batch made porridge for breakfast instead (there’s a great recipe in the Jamie Oliver superfood book) with coconut water. 

2 minutes ago, chappy said:

I used to work in Subway. This is a massive overreaction. Ridiculous.

Anyway, back on topic, will be ‘going vegan’ (if you can call it that when you know it isn’t permanent) for a couple of weeks from Monday. Have done it for a week at a time a few times in the past year - I enjoy the challenge, find that we cook more adventurously instead of having the same few meals again and again.

I actually find the lack of dairy harder than the lack of meat - not something I expected before taking it on. Oat milk has been the best for hot drinks but not enjoyed any of them over cereal, we have batch made porridge for breakfast instead (there’s a great recipe in the Jamie Oliver superfood book) with coconut water. 

You didn't have to smell you

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's an amazing change since I first started looking for vegan stuff about 3 years ago. It was rare for this to even be labelled as vegan if they were. I can't believe how quickly its changed toalmost every shop both labelling vegan items and stocking vegan product ranges. 

Yeah they have, I was in there last week as well doing my first vegan shop. They're labelling is very good, even if it's not a deliberately vegan product, it tells you clearly if it is vegan.

Other supermarkets and products aren't as good at that. Vegetarian products are clearly marked but it's rarer for Vegan to be marked.

Anyway, all these products suddenly being released are a massive bonus :) 

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

hahhahaahahahahah banter!!!!

I will never understand why people are so offended over companies expanding their offering to make their products more available for everyone...

It's hardly original either.

Image result for ron swanson vegan bacon gif

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Out of interest are they selling  these vegan products at  outrageous prices the same way they exploited all these people that suddenly decided they were gluten intolerant ?

I mean great for you guys if Sainsbury and co are offering you more choice but it will only be for their benefit not yours ( or the animals )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Out of interest are they selling  these vegan products at  outrageous prices the same way they exploited all these people that suddenly decided they were gluten intolerant ?

This is what would put me off going down the veggie/vegan route. Then again, it's been a while since I've really looked around. I suppose that "back in the day" when there wasn't much choice, whatever was available cost a fair amount (3 or 4 quid for 6 linda mac sausages).

I admit to being a bit lazy in prepping vegan stuff myself, so I guess I have to pay through the nose for ready made.

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I mean great for you guys if Sainsbury and co are offering you more choice but it will only be for their benefit not yours ( or the animals )

not really any different to other processed food costing more than the raw ingredients though, buying vegetables isn’t particularly difficult!

For the convenience/junk food, it varies from the reasonable to the ridiculous. @mottaloo mentioned LM sausages being 3 or 4 quid. It's £2 for 6 these days, often discounted down to bogof, which is a bargain. Some of the newer imported stuff is extortionate. Those "bleeding" Beyond Burgers are £5.50 for 2, which is a firm pass from me.

They're just as bad for you as a lot of processed shite though, so it's fairly rare I bother with any of it. I have thew advantage of actually enjoying cooking, though. A basket of veg and some pulses and a massive batch of chili/curry can be knocked up for a couple of quid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I don't understand how you can be offended by Gregg's serving a vegan sausage roll. 

I know it's a joke, but it is a bit small minded. 

My take is that people like Morgan rely on publicity , he’s been made to look like a cock but he’s a cock that everyone is talking about and it gets his agent a chance to add another zero to his salary , unless he goes full Hopkins and gets fired / sued ... but this is the man who has survived insider trading , fake photos and probably phone hacking with a shield of Teflon, so he seems a shrewd cookie

the buy a Greggs and bin it man is just a cockwomble , for sure we like to give vegans a bit of a hard time in this thread but his “comedy” stunt is just embarrassing , id rather he’d given the money to charity ... I would say give the vegan sausage roll to a homeless person but nobody would want to eat that shit starving or not :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Of course it's for their benefit. It's a business. Every decision any business has ever made ever, bar some extraordinary exceptions, is for their benefit. 

They're exploiting a growing market. But it's still great news for people giving that lifestyle a go.

And yes a lot of the stuff is more expensive than the non-vegan alternative. But whilst I'm sure there's an extra bit of margin put in there, a lot of the extra expense will be because of the lack of volume. The more popular this stuff gets, the cheaper it will become. Like pretty much every product.

19 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Anyone remember this Mr. Wimpy?

MV5BNjZiYmYzNWYtZjRiMi00NjczLWJmZDctYzgz

I think he got stabbed to death by the 'Hamburglar' in a robbery gone wrong. 

• Haha 1

I watched that Jamie Oliver programme with Romesh Ranganathan last night.

Food looked amazing tbf. 

Question for people who know about this kind of stuff. 

With regard to the environmental impact of meat eating, how do the other meats compare to Beef? 

I see a lot about the impact of industrial cow farming, but how do chickens/pigs/sheep etc compare?

If we all gave up Beef, but continued with the rest, would that have a significantly positive impact on the environment?

I don't think I could give up meat entirely, but I could probably knock red meat on the head without too much effort. 

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I don't think I could give up meat entirely, but I could probably knock red meat on the head without too much effort. 

That's where I am. 

I eat far too much chicken but other meats I could give up no problem. 

• Like 1

Â