Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't see the clip, but how can someone not explode if they're only eating beef?

I assume he means he has beef with every meal, as opposed to he literally just eats beef and nothing else.

Just watched it, he claims... just beef. The interviewer asks if he even has any ketchup with it (Ketchup... really???) he replies, no just beef

She then asks him about the benefits, he claims to have lost 50ibs, stopped snoring and an auto-immune condition has gone away

He's also talking like someone on mogadon

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Just watched it, he claims... just beef. The interviewer asks if he even has any ketchup with it (Ketchup... really???) he replies, no just beef

She then asks him about the benefits, he claims to have lost 50ibs, stopped snoring and an auto-immune condition has gone away

He's also talking like someone on mogadon

I mean, putting the whole meat eating vs vegetarianism debate aside, that's surely not possible.

You probably would lose weight, you'd be eating zero carbohydrates. But you'd also be horrendously malnourished I would think.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, putting the whole meat eating vs vegetarianism debate aside, that's surely not possible.

You probably would lose weight, you'd be eating zero carbohydrates. But you'd also be horrendously malnourished I would think.

He's clearly not talking like a well man and I'm not sure malnourishment is not entirely to blame

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Are they actually 'amazing' or just amazing in terms of the food available to a vegan?  Genuine question.

They're actually amazing.

The perception that Vegans live on horrible food is quite amusing :) 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The perception that Vegans live on horrible food is quite amusing :) 

Yes but sometimes options are very limited. Last night I had - "Harissa baked aubergine, spiced chick pea, kale & onion stew with lemon & pomegranate dressing". It was one of only two non-meat options on the menu. 

It was not good.

41 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yes but sometimes options are very limited. Last night I had - "Harissa baked aubergine, spiced chick pea, kale & onion stew with lemon & pomegranate dressing". It was one of only two non-meat options on the menu. 

It was not good.

Oh I know, but it was the presumption that as a Vegan you would have to lower your standards of what "amazing" food was that I was commenting on.

You wouldn't have called that dish you had amazing.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I know, but it was the presumption that as a Vegan you would have to lower your standards of what "amazing" food was that I was commenting on.

You wouldn't have called that dish you had amazing.

No, I guess I was just expressing my frustration that as some who (like you, from what it seems) is trying to eat more consciously, many of the options are underwhelming to say the least. This was not in a backwater establishment either - rather a well liked gastro-pub in Richmond.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

No, I guess I was just expressing my frustration that as some who (like you, from what it seems) is trying to eat more consciously, many of the options are underwhelming to say the least. This was not in a backwater establishment either - rather a well liked gastro-pub in Richmond.

Yeah it's definitely an issue. I think it's better these days, but even for me who's only 4 months in to being a vegetarian, I've had an experience where there was one veggie option on the menu. And it was a very plain salad.

It definitely requires me to check ahead for where we're eating to make sure they have a good choice.

Luckily my family and friends (the few friends that i would go out for a meal with) have been really good in making sure I'm accommodated... so far!

Veganism must be a whole other kettle of fish though. I imagine you basically have to pick the restaurant, regardless of who is going!

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Veganism must be a whole other kettle of fish though. I imagine you basically have to pick the restaurant, regardless of who is going!

Or live in Brighton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-46111505

Staff at a farm shop offering a "pick your own Christmas turkey" service say they have received death threats.

The words "Murder" and "Go vegan" have been spray-painted on the door at Greendale Farm Shop in Woodbury Salterton, Devon.

And that's why veganism will never take off, too many nutters. Minority maybe, but permanently plays host to the PETA type maniacs. Shit like this always wants me to order non-stop steak for ever, even though I do want to cut down on meat, a bit.

Edited by Rodders

On 05/11/2018 at 13:25, choffer said:

Or live in Brighton.

Nottingham is amazing as well. everything from pub grub, to multiple indian, chinese, to a Michelin star restaurant. 

There's a couple of proper barbecue/steakhouse type places which are obviously a no go, but pretty much everywhere else has at least a few vegan options, if not a separate vegan menu. 

In the last couple of years, it seems to have caught on so much restaurants don't have much of a choice, it only takes one vegan in a group to essentially rule out your business if you can't provide anything.

One of the fortunate/unfortunate side effects, depending on who you ask, is it's put out of business a few small vegan/veggie restaurants that were really, really shit but had managed to stay in business for years by having a captive audience.

Edited by Davkaus

On 05/11/2018 at 12:22, choffer said:

It was not good.

Harissa baked aubergine - I'd eat that

spiced chick pea - chick peas not smashed to within an inch of their life in hummus are repulsive, just cannot stand the texture

kale & onion stew with lemon & pomegranate dressing - That's one weird taste combo, definitely a no, though Kale and onion stew on its own doesn't sound too bad, probably needs to be spiced with something arabic again

• Like 1

Â