Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

there's nothing inefficient about it  , the cows taste lovely   ..so job done

I had a mixed grill in Cyprus the other day and they included Halloumi  with it ... as cheese goes it's somewhat meh , give me a brie or cheddar any day

Any sort of cheese in a mixed grill is just plain wrong and Haloumi is way too clean tasting, a mixed grill needs to taste dirty

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Any sort of cheese in a mixed grill is just plain wrong and Haloumi

that's my view on mushrooms and tomato that some weirdos put with a mixed grill .. why waste plate space with a  poxy tomato when it's taking up valuable sausage and bacon space

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that's my view on mushrooms and tomato that some weirdos put with a mixed grill .. why waste plate space with a  poxy tomato when it's taking up valuable sausage and bacon space

Nah I'll accept a tomato grilled to the point of flacidity and mushrooms, I'll even accept onion rings all pass the dirty test in my book, I do draw the line at a chicken breast though, even though its meat, it doesn't pass the dirty test

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

there's nothing inefficient about it  , the cows taste lovely   ..so job done

I had a mixed grill in Cyprus the other day and they included Halloumi  with it ... as cheese goes it's somewhat meh , give me a brie or cheddar any day

Different uses though.

On a sandwich or a cracker. I'd choose brie or cheddar as well.

But battered and deep fried, or cooked in breadcrumbs, it's halloumi for the win.

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whoa, I missed that.. you know which country Brie comes from? You are slowly becoming a Francophile

British Brie only ?

Many people are genuinely surprised when they learn that Brie and Camembert are produced in the UK, believing that these cheeses can only be made in France

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

No escaping the fact it is made in the FRENCH-style

Rob likes a bit of Greek style but that doesn't make him Zorba the Greek :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

Do we really need a World Vegan day , when they tell us they are vegan every day anyway

anyway , my views on the day are expressed by the pic below which is what shall be entertaining my taste buds tonight  ... eat your mushrooms and web veggie boy :P

mmmmm.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 14:47, StefanAVFC said:

Halloumi is bang tidy

Here's a good halloumi recipe - quick, and tasty.  I suppose vegans could substitute some chick peas and cashews for the halloumi, maybe add some pumpkin seeds and flax seeds.

Break a cauliflower into florets, saute in extra virgin olive oil for a couple of minutes on fairly high heat (not so hot the oil smokes, it would spoil it), add some caraway seeds, chilli flakes, 2 cloves sliced garlic, salt and pepper.  Add a bit of water, cover the pan, cook for 3 or 4 minutes on a slightly lower heat (hot enough to be steaming the cauli).

Cut halloumi into slices, spread on plate and coat with extra virgin oil, 2 tsp za'atar and some chilli flakes, then cook briefly on a hot ridged griddle pan (or another frying pan would do).  While that is cooking, add 200-300 gm washed spinach to the cauliflower, replace lid, cook until wilted.  (If using precooked chick peas and nuts/seeds, add them to the pan to warm through as well, together with the za'atar).

Serve with thick yogurt and pitta bread.  And that's it.

Even better if you make your own pitta bread, though you would have to start that off some hours previously.  If you want to do that, then dissolve 10gm dried yeast in 240gm water (mix one third boiling and two thirds cold, to give a temp warm enough to encourage the yeast and not so hot as to kill it).  Add the water/yeast mix to 400gm strong bread flour, 10gm salt, 10gm extra virgin oil, mix well and knead briefly, then leave in a bowl for 3 or 4 hours, covered with oiled clingfilm (so the clingfilm doesn't stick to the dough).  Heat oven to 240c, cut dough into 6 or 8 pieces, roll out in pitta shapes, put on lined baking tray and bake for 6 minutes.  A thick baking tray, pre-heated, will give better results, but it also works on a thin one without pre-heating.  You want them very slightly browned in places - I have to turn mine round half way because the oven cooks very unevenly, but they don't need turning over.  If you have a see-through oven door, little kids like seeing the bread balloon up.  But bake the bread just before you cook the rest, or else there's a lot going on at the same time.

• Like 1

I can't see the clip, but how can someone not explode if they're only eating beef?

I assume he means he has beef with every meal, as opposed to he literally just eats beef and nothing else.

Â