Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

'Tofurky' :crylaugh:

I don't know why, but it just sounds so hilariously awful, Like some reclaimed meat made from furry toes. 

It also reminds me of a mate of mine from way back.

He had a beautiful Indian girlfriend called 'Neelam' and his younger brother always called her 'Toepork' to wind him up. Creased me every time. 

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

'Tofurky' :crylaugh:

I don't know why, but it just sounds so hilariously awful, Like some reclaimed meat made from furry toes. 

It also reminds me of a mate of mine from way back.

He had a beautiful Indian girlfriend called 'Neelam' and his younger brother always called her 'Toepork' to wind him up. Creased me every time. 

Yeah weird name, great food! :D 

• Like 1

Was away with some mates on the weekend.

When they were having their full english or bacon sandwiches yesterday I had pan fried halloumi on toast with field mushrooms and 2 poached eggs for breakfast.

It was lovely. But I'm mainly posting it here in the hope that it triggers Bicks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When they were having their full english or bacon sandwiches yesterday I had pan fried halloumi on toast with field mushrooms and 2 poached eggs for breakfast.

It was lovely. But I'm mainly posting it here in the hope that it triggers Bicks.

I had a chimichanga with halloumi and it was absolutely awesome.  Better than pulled pork/chilli etc.

I love halloumi cheese, I dig that rubbery texture and bitter taste. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I had a chimichanga with halloumi and it was absolutely awesome.  Better than pulled pork/chilli etc.

I love halloumi cheese, I dig that rubbery texture and bitter taste. 

It's amazing.

I'd have it more but I find you have to cut the slices quite thick to get it perfect and that means you can get through a block of it in no time. So for the sake of my heart I leave it as a treat.

Battered halloumi and chips is a great alternative to fish and chips.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's amazing.

I'd have it more but I find you have to cut the slices quite thick to get it perfect and that means you can get through a block of it in no time. So for the sake of my heart I leave it as a treat.

Battered halloumi and chips is a great alternative to fish and chips.

Agreed!

I dare not buy it, because of that.  I only eat it when it's on a meal out. 

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Agreed!

I dare not buy it, because of that.  I only eat it when it's on a meal out. 

I've started using "Gousto". One of those services that delivers a box to you and it has a load of meals in there. Gives you the exact ingredients and the recipes to make it. Stupidly easy.

It's way too expensive to use normally really, but we had some discount codes so it's costing peanuts at the moment. We mainly wanted the recipes so we could use them ourselves with normal shopping.

Aaaaaaaanyway, one of the meals last week was homemade hummus (houmous, humus, hoummus... how the **** do you spell that?) with halloumi and salad in pittas.
They were **** incredible.
But yeah we got through a whole block of halloumi and it only made 4 pittas.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd actually eat that, not for breakfast, more of a lunch in my book, might skip the toast at lunchtime though

Another thumbs up for halloumi! 

My mom used to do be toasted halloumi sandwiches as a kid. No wonder i was a fat child 

Edited by Xela

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's what you need to have for breakfast.

Toasted muffin

Layer of cream cheese

Layer of Halloumi

Poached egg

Salt & Pepper

It's incredible. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

aaaaaaanyway, one of the meals last week was homemade hummus (houmous, humus, hoummus... how the **** do you spell that?) with halloumi and salad in pittas.
They were **** incredible.
But yeah we got through a whole block of halloumi and it only made 4 pittas.

We have this at home once a week. It's awesome. We get through a lot of Hallouimi though :lol: 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We have this at home once a week. It's awesome. We get through a lot of Hallouimi though :lol: 

Took less than 10 minutes to make as well. It will become a regular for sure.

I went to Itihaas in Birmingham for a curry on Friday.

Had a Soya Tikka Massala. It was incredible!

I had to ask the waiter if he'd given me chicken as it looked so much like chicken. Definitely tasted different, but still incredibly good. I'll be going back for sure.

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I went to Itihaas in Birmingham for a curry on Friday.

Had a Soya Tikka Massala. It was incredible!

I had to ask the waiter if he'd given me chicken as it looked so much like chicken. Definitely tasted different, but still incredibly good. I'll be going back for sure.

I would be willing to try that just for the difference. You don't realise sometimes how much the meat flavours the curry, I tend to order chicken by default a lot of the time but when I remember and mix it up with lamb sometimes it really changes the dish.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm meh about soya/tofu.

I'd rather just have high quality veg if I'm going veggie for dinner.

I’m normally the same. But this was excellent. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Deforestation Tikka Masala ? (I know, I know 90% of soya is used to inefficiently make cows taste lovely)

there's nothing inefficient about it  , the cows taste lovely   ..so job done

I had a mixed grill in Cyprus the other day and they included Halloumi  with it ... as cheese goes it's somewhat meh , give me a brie or cheddar any day

• Like 1

Â