18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

35 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Look at us still hanging around like a that "Funny odour" you just can't put yer finger on 😀

When Bruce took over in Feb i backed you to get top 6 at 33/1 and promoted at 200/1 so keep going (on the first one at least) ;)

1 minute ago, ASOWL said:

No doubt mate...I'll take your word for it....but you have to take into account expectation....

Villa have only recently dropped out of he top flight and the pressure for an immediate return while the parachute payments last is immense..

Wednesday a few months ago looked like leaving the league in the opposite direction, so everything is more or less gravy in the run in this year.

No doubt Villa fans feel a sort of "right of passage"..So you should when you take the size of your club and fanbase into account...I felt much the same about Wednesday when we dipped down...

It no longer works like that..

If Villa make the play offs, which I reckon you will...given your support and players like Grealish and McGinn..I would back you against anyone...

but its not those games you have to be wary of in the championship...Its games like tomorrow night at Rotherham, They are an awful side to play, its a tight ground ..its almost like a legoland thingy...It feels strange..even when you are stood in it, you sorta don't expect football players to trot out...any road up...you will see tomorrow...

All we have to do is beat Leeds away next..bloody doddle down here eh ?😀

For me personally I thought Bruce did alright last season. We had injuries to key players and had Grealish played all season we would probably have finished 2nd.  It’s the way he constantly made excuses about money even though our wage bill would probably have rivaled most teams in the top flight that wound me up. Then there’s how he would have a dig at fans. You just don’t do that no matter how bad things get.

As for Rotherham we all know it will be tough. But we seem to have a real steel and determination about us at the moment as shown in our last theee games. You and Blues threw everything as us and Forest tried the direct approach too. We came through all three (mainly because of Mings)

We will win tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

When Bruce took over in Feb i backed you to get top 6 at 33/1 and promoted at 200/1 so keep going (on the first one at least) ;)

Would have to be the first one wouldn't it mate 😀..or sweet revenge for Saturday

( I apologise for not marking posts up...I don't seem to have the capability yet)

13 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

No doubt mate...I'll take your word for it....but you have to take into account expectation....

Villa have only recently dropped out of he top flight and the pressure for an immediate return while the parachute payments last is immense..

Wednesday a few months ago looked like leaving the league in the opposite direction, so everything is more or less gravy in the run in this year.

No doubt Villa fans feel a sort of "right of passage"..So you should when you take the size of your club and fanbase into account...I felt much the same about Wednesday when we dipped down...

It no longer works like that..

If Villa make the play offs, which I reckon you will...given your support and players like Grealish and McGinn..I would back you against anyone...

but its not those games you have to be wary of in the championship...Its games like tomorrow night at Rotherham, They are an awful side to play, its a tight ground ..its almost like a legoland thingy...It feels strange..even when you are stood in it, you sorta don't expect football players to trot out...any road up...you will see tomorrow...

All we have to do is beat Leeds away next..bloody doddle down here eh ?😀

Sheff Weds have a good team at this level, fully expect you to be in shake up for top 6 next season like you used to be under Carvahal. You're not far off this year despite having a dismal three months of form.

Still not sure how hard FFP will hit you but you have two capable strikers upfront in Hooper and Fletcher (on about 50k a week between them), Forresteri was one of the best number 10s in this division before Grealish popped down, Bannan good sitting playermaker and SB will obviously get you organised at the back  especially with Westwood restored back in goal.

I know you didn't like the dutch manager very much but seemed to me you had incredible injuries problems under him as most of those hardly played this season until he got sacked and they all magically got fit again.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For me personally I thought Bruce did alright last season. We had injuries to key players and had Grealish played all season we would probably have finished 2nd.  It’s the way he constantly made excuses about money even though our wage bill would probably have rivaled most teams in the top flight that wound me up. Then there’s how he would have a dig at fans. You just don’t do that no matter how bad things get.

As for Rotherham we all know it will be tough. But we seem to have a real steel and determination about us at the moment as shown in our last theee games. You and Blues threw everything as us and Forest tried the direct approach too. We came through all three (mainly because of Mings)

We will win tomorrow.

Great player Mings...I sorta watched him a lot last Saturday cos of his remarkable resemblance to our Michael Hector...They had a spat in front of the Kop first half and it was like watching siamese twins wrestling .

Thought Grealish had a good game, but we gave him too much space....McGinns equaliser was exceptional, the only place he could put it, was where he put it.

Managers having a dig at fans, is always stupid..We have a Chairman who tends to be totally surprised that Sheffield isn't the same as Kensington...and why yer average ex steelworker is now not the head of BMW and can't actually afford the POTG prices.

Yep..Villa are certainly resilient...Well you called it resilient at Hillsborough...😀

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Sheff Weds have a good team at this level, fully expect you to be in shake up for top 6 next season like you used to be under Carvahal. You're not far off this year despite having a dismal three months of form.

Still not sure how hard FFP will hit you but you have two capable strikers upfront in Hooper and Fletcher (on about 50k a week between them), Forresteri was one of the best number 10s in this division before Grealish popped down, Bannan good sitting playermaker and SB will obviously get you organised at the back  especially with Westwood restored back in goal.

I know you didn't like the dutch manager very much but seemed to me you had incredible injuries problems under him as most of those hardly played this season until he got sacked and they all magically got fit again.

Westwood and Hutchinson surprisingly got fit as soon as that idiots train left midland station mate...............

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

What I will say is our fanbase is still growing, we would easily sell out our allocation at Wembley, and would have been able to for years, but just a handful of years ago 13k was what we'd be expecting for a home game, maybe down to 10k on an evening midweek.

When we reached the playoff final 11 years ago, our average crowd was a shade over 16k. Our lowest league attendance is over 2k more than that. And I realise compared to Villa those are still pretty low numbers, but we haven't achieved half the things Villa have. Our best ever finish is 2nd in the First division over 110 years ago and a FA Cup runners up about 110 years ago.

Holloway is a gas-head

I reckon that's all you'll need to say here :D

Since the appointment of Dean Smith with Grealish fit the new projected points total would be 77 points after 46 games. That includes our 63 points now and projecting the current 2.33 PPG (P15 W11 D2 L2 Pts 35) from Smith with Grealish fit to gain 14 more points over the remaining 6 games.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

4th place is very much there for the taking. Never thought i would say that a month ago

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It would give us a home second leg in the play offs as well and Albion are losing games for fun at the moment. We just need to keep on winning though and our target needs to remain sixth until that position is secured.

The only slight concern I have is that over the last couple of games we haven't put a good 90 minutes together and for large spells of those games have been on the back foot. 

On Saturday we played against a side who needed a result as much as we did and we struggled to match them for much of the game. The next two games we are again up against sides who need a result as much as we do and whilst on paper we have better quality we need to match these sides in terms of intensity and make sure we are fully focused.

Tonight is a really key game for me. Win and we will go into the Bristol game flying. Fail to and we go into that game under a lot of pressure. I also tonight want to see us getting back to playing on the front foot and with a high intensity for 90 minutes. 

If our attitude is right and we match teams in terms of effort then our superior quality will see us promoted.