18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree and throughout the season it had happened too often. But we have to remember this is still Bruce’s teams Smith is working with. I still think there will be wholesale changes no matter where we end the season.  

I agree.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not a fan who thinks champagne football is the only thing that satisfies me.....I accept ugly, just want us to do it now and again, when it's necessary.

First Half....That was the bit I was waiting to see, but they just surrendered the initiative to Rotherham.

Paul Warne blamed the Sending off for them losing the game, such was the change in Villa going down to 10 men.....surely losing Mings should not render us better....my suspicion is some players in the first half were in second gear.

That's not on, how close we are to the play offs and on the back of 6 wins.

I was appalled in the First half and proud of them in the second, after the set back.....but we can't keep having long periods of slacking off.

I agree a few players were in Second gear first half.

Happens to a lot of teams though, especially after late Wins a few days earlier. And it has certainly happened to every team in this League, frequently.

What I don’t share is your view that the first half was appalling. Each to their own ,but I’ve witnessed us being appalling away from home way too much for my liking in recent years and this was nothing like it. 

In my view, It was more us being a shade under par, and Rotherham being fired up for a fight. With Smiths passing style I think it’s quite easy to look unconvincing when it’s not clicking. Also I wouldn’t underestimate the unsettling effect of Axel first half. He was clearly ( and understandably) less sure of the movements and runs of players than Hause has been and, whilst not a huge thing in itself, it meant we were stuttering from the back which allowed Rotherham to chase and close down more effectively - something that didn’t happen Second Half.

Id add that at no time in that first half did any player look disinterested, uncommitted, or lazy. Again, unlike many other times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree and throughout the season it had happened too often. But we have to remember this is still Bruce’s teams Smith is working with. I still think there will be wholesale changes no matter where we end the season.  

I hope not.

Given that “ no matter where we finish” could include Promotion, I wouldn’t like wholesale changes in that circumstance.

Id  hope that the team, the way they’ve adapted to his ideas, and the associated spirit Smith has built would be valued higher......I’ve seen so many sides go up and buy the next Level up player, often making little difference. 

I think we could do with a bit less wholesale change. Peripheral players can go, and we would need three or four “ proper” additions, but out of the side that started last night I’d be keeping seven or eight, and out of the rest of the usual squad I’d be keeping another four or five. Anyway, that’s a huge debate which hopefully we can all get struck into at the end  Of May !

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I agree a few players were in Second gear first half.

Happens to a lot of teams though, especially after late Wins a few days earlier. And it has certainly happened to every team in this League, frequently.

What I don’t share is your view that the first half was appalling. Each to their own ,but I’ve witnessed us being appalling away from home way too much for my liking in recent years and this was nothing like it. 

In my view, It was more us being a shade under par, and Rotherham being fired up for a fight. With Smiths passing style I think it’s quite easy to look unconvincing when it’s not clicking. Also I wouldn’t underestimate the unsettling effect of Axel first half. He was clearly ( and understandably) less sure of the movements and runs of players than Hause has been and, whilst not a huge thing in itself, it meant we were stuttering from the back which allowed Rotherham to chase and close down more effectively - something that didn’t happen Second Half.

Id add that at no time in that first half did any player look disinterested, uncommitted, or lazy. Again, unlike many other times.

I have to disagree Terry.....We are talking different things I think.....I'm talking about too many players not up for the fight in the first half, nothing to do with Passing or a passing style or passing game.

Norwich play a passing style too....but get their foot in as a team and win challenges....not rely on one or two players like we did.....The very least I expect is FIGHT.

You only had to see the animation from Dean Smith, who was raging at times to know, players were not challenging....it was nothing to do with Axel, it was to do with not physically competing for the ball and yielding the initiative to a team in the bottom 3....there was many occasions we were being too easily relieved of the ball...I seem to remember Taylor loosing it to his namesake and having to scurry back to try and save the day.....we could have conceded.

We can all choose words to describe what we see.....I was not happy and still not with that half.....The second half for me proved the first was unnecessary.....It shouldn't take the managers bollocking to squeeze some initiative out of them at this stage of the season, they should be fired up for this like they was in the second half....We got a player sent off mainly because too many left it to, too few to do the ugly work.

Edited by TRO

I didn't see the game so don't mind me, but I saw the 10 minute highlights, and as a pro athlete myself, I can't identify a lack of effort or fight from us in the first half.

Earned ourselves a penalty, created chances. If it wasn't for Mings' handball, I don't know where Rotherham's lead would've come from. Does a blip of 3 seconds define 45mins?

I am completely ignorant to what Mings' first yellow was about. But I do know what ensued from Villa players. Fight and effort from thereon in. Absolutely chuffed I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I didn't see the game so don't mind me, but I saw the 10 minute highlights, and as a pro athlete myself, I can't identify a lack of effort or fight from us in the first half.

Earned ourselves a penalty, created chances. If it wasn't for Mings' handball, I don't know where Rotherham's lead would've come from. Does a blip of 3 seconds define 45mins?

I am completely ignorant to what Mings' first yellow was about. But I do know what ensued from Villa players. Fight and effort from thereon in. Absolutely chuffed I am.

Completely agree. 

There was no lack of effort, and no lack of fight. The other team were a bit sharper and that enabled them to cause us problems....but we caused them problems aswell.

Its also the case that we played 15 minutes of that half with 10 men....we didn’t only start resisting after the break.

The comments above echo a few I heard in that first half hour...every time a Villa player wasn’t first to a ball, every time they lost out in a tackle, one or two would be on their backs.

Mercifully, most recognised the oppositions right to do well.

I hope the VP crowd are as patient on Saturday. Particularly after the Herculean effort Second Half the other night our players may well be at less than maximum....regardless of how “ fired up” we think they “ should” be. If only it was as easy as that !

We don’t have a divine right to be the better side in every game, as long as the effort and commitment is there, however, we possess the style and quality to hurt teams even if below our best.

All we need to do now is beat Leeds away and bristol City at home...all we had to do last week was beat you lot, then Forest, the fact we did "half a job" leaves us in a bit of a quandary...

Those Owls fans who have "given up the ghost" aren't too bothered if Leeds beat us...cos of  The Blades...I'm for going for it until its an impossibility, no matter how improbable.

An ideal situation would be us to beat Leeds, Blades lose...you beat City then we beat City on Easter Monday...any other scenario really puts us out of it.

Its going to be a pretty exciting last few games anyhow, thats the championship all over,.

I reckon Wednesday have the most difficult run in, and its Wednesday who need the most points...Got Leeds, Bristol city, preston and Norwich to play..probably beat them then lose 0-5 at home to QPR and dip out...Its the Wednesday way

2 hours ago, ASOWL said:

All we need to do now is beat Leeds away and bristol City at home...all we had to do last week was beat you lot, then Forest, the fact we did "half a job" leaves us in a bit of a quandary...

Those Owls fans who have "given up the ghost" aren't too bothered if Leeds beat us...cos of  The Blades...I'm for going for it until its an impossibility, no matter how improbable.

An ideal situation would be us to beat Leeds, Blades lose...you beat City then we beat City on Easter Monday...any other scenario really puts us out of it.

Its going to be a pretty exciting last few games anyhow, thats the championship all over,.

I reckon Wednesday have the most difficult run in, and its Wednesday who need the most points...Got Leeds, Bristol city, preston and Norwich to play..probably beat them then lose 0-5 at home to QPR and dip out...Its the Wednesday way

Sounds a lot like the Villa way.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2019 at 19:56, Vive_La_Villa said:

They were but had we won them Bruce might have been in charge for longer.  

We messed up a half decent chance of automatic promotion with that dreadful run from December-end of February.

1-1 at Preston when they had about 8 first teamers out, 3-0 at Wigan which was probably our worst performance since being down here, 2-2 at home to QPR, 0-0 at Reading etc.

10 more points and we'd have a very good chance of getting second I think now but alas not to be.

I hate Bruce, Bruce out. 

The problem with 'winning all the time' is that there's no debate afterwards. There was a study where it was recognised that losing is more important than winning in the mind of fans - which is so true. I wouldn't change that, but VT must be losing advertising revenue at a rate. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I hate Bruce, Bruce out. 

The problem with 'winning all the time' is that there's no debate afterwards. There was a study where it was recognised that losing is more important than winning in the mind of fans - which is so true. I wouldn't change that, but VT must be losing advertising revenue at a rate. 

Not with the amount of times I’ve accidentally clicked that cursed banner at the bottom.

• Haha 1