18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Doesn't matter, we are a Championship club playing other Championship clubs. Our players are of same quality as those that we are playing.

That's all fine and good just stop compare our stats to past seasons from the premier league or whatever itwas called before the name change.

Compare it to past championship seasons and i don't have any problems with it.

The only slight concern I have is that over the last couple of games we haven't put a good 90 minutes together and for large spells of those games have been on the back foot. 

On Saturday we played against a side who needed a result as much as we did and we struggled to match them for much of the game. The next two games we are again up against sides who need a result as much as we do and whilst on paper we have better quality we need to match these sides in terms of intensity and make sure we are fully focused.

Tonight is a really key game for me. Win and we will go into the Bristol game flying. Fail to and we go into that game under a lot of pressure. I also tonight want to see us getting back to playing on the front foot and with a high intensity for 90 minutes. 

If our attitude is right and we match teams in terms of effort then our superior quality will see us promoted.

Agree with this 100%. We were brilliant against Blackburn for 55-60 mins but then let them back in it, against Wednesday we were poor but ground out the win. Hopefully tonight we play like we did against Boro and Derby and don't give them a sniff, giving us an opportunity to conserve some energy for Saturday in the last 30 mins or so. We need Jack back to his best tonight, he's played within himself last couple of games. When that happens we don't play as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we need to freshen up a bit tonight, would like to see 2-3 players rotated......just not sure who!

Axel for Hause, Hourihane for Whelan, Albert for Green and possibly Kodj for El G.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Axel for Hause, Hourihane for Whelan, Albert for Green and possibly Kodj for El G.  

Wouldn't mind seeing Lansbury get some game time if he's fit and healthy

Keinan Davis too

I'd swap El Ghazi for Adomah, Abraham for Davis and Jack/McGinn for Lansbury personally......

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Grealish on the bench tonight.

I know how much we need him, but we need him 100% for this run in. For me he looked tired against Wednesday in the second half.

Literally the one player I wouldn't rest.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Kodjia is too lazy to start against a team who you would imagine will come flying out of the blocks and work pretty hard. Think it's a game where our talent only dictates things after our work rate matches theirs.

29 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Kodjia is too lazy to start against a team who you would imagine will come flying out of the blocks and work pretty hard. Think it's a game where our talent only dictates things after our work rate matches theirs.

Agree. Wouldn’t start with Kodija for that exact reason. 

Tammy, Jack and McGinn are three players I would absolutely not drop, along with Mings. They are so key for us that no one can come in and replicate them. Even if Jack has an off day, he's still capable of one moment of magic.

Players like Whelan, Green etc have done well in recent weeks for us, but we have players on the bench who can come in for them without unsettling the team. The four players mentioned above, there is literally no one else in our squad who can do what they do. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Tammy, Jack and McGinn are three players I would absolutely not drop, along with Mings. They are so key for us that no one can come in and replicate them. Even if Jack has an off day, he's still capable of one moment of magic.

Players like Whelan, Green etc have done well in recent weeks for us, but we have players on the bench who can come in for them without unsettling the team. The four players mentioned above, there is literally no one else in our squad who can do what they do. 

I actually think lansbury could do a job instead of Grealish tonight. Jack looked tired on Saturday, needs to be on it for Bristol city. A fit lansbury is a very capable replacement tonight.

If he doesn't fall apart after 5 minutes he's still no substitute for Grealish. Lansbury is a good player but to come straight in against a team fighting for their life...

It would concern me.

I hear you about Jack needing a rest but I'm not sure we can afford to. Or take Rotherham lightly.

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I actually think lansbury could do a job instead of Grealish tonight. Jack looked tired on Saturday, needs to be on it for Bristol city. A fit lansbury is a very capable replacement tonight.

And what would one of those be ?

• Like 1

Dropping / resting Jack is like losing 2 men, with the doubling up he attracts.

Has to play.

Everyone else other than Mings is restable ... but I wouldn’t change the defence...

its midfield really, with three games in the week..

CH can cover either the 2 Mcginns or Zinewelan....the two wingers could be interchanged with their 2 replacements. Agree though that JK is a little suspect to start.

So I reckon it’ll be Albert for Green and CH for Whelan, with a hope to rest McGinn and Jack after an hour if we are lucky enough to be able to.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

I agree Jack's looked leggy recently, but can't say I agree on Lansbury. Lansbury has looked alright in cameos but seems to pick up injuries every time he steps on to a pitch and has barely played in the two years he's been with us. 

I would like to see Grealish get some rest time and I certainly don't want him picking up any more injuries, but if he's available for selection I just don't think that's possible given how crucial he is. We risk dropping points at a time when we really can't be doing so. I'd take him off after about 60 mins though so he can get some recovery for Saturday. Hopefully the game will be won by then. 

26 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Mind you.

I know the square root of naff all so why I bothered airing that little lot I’ve no idea.

I think you were spot on, actually.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Dropping / resting Jack is like losing 2 men, with the doubling up he attracts.

Has to play.

Everyone else other than Mings is restable ... but I wouldn’t change the defence...

its midfield really, with three games in the week..

CH can cover either the 2 Mcginns or Zinewelan....the two wingers could be interchanged with their 2 replacements. Agree though that JK is a little suspect to start.

So I reckon it’ll be Albert for Green and CH for Whelan, with a hope to rest McGinn and Jack after an hour if we are lucky enough to be able to.

d0bb85d28935a9a74031c0eb660e6f85.jpg

• Like 1