18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Imagine that going up automatically that would be one of the greatest achievements ever. 

Sadly we left it too late. 4th would be brilliant

Agreed, 6th would be more than acceptable for me though.:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Shall we win our next 5 with Leeds and Sheff Utd win less than 3 and 4 points respectively. Then we go up with GD. 😂

Anyway we have a good chance to be 4th which would put a lot of pressure into West Brom. 

Still I think we shall take it game at a time. Yesterday most of us would have taken a draw after the red card.

That would be a monumental capitulation from both of them, nigh on impossible. Plus their GD is significantly better than ours anyway, so yeah that's not happening.

We should definitely be aiming for 4th though. 2nd leg at VP would be ideal.

• Like 1

If we could have converted just a few of those draws into wins we'd be in the automatics.

Annoying games like PNE where we should have had 3 points, Notts Forest and baggies bah.

Edited by AshVilla

Have to say when it looked like we'd slipped up yesterday I was consoling myself that if we missed play-offs then this season was lost some time ago and thought what a bloody good job DS has done to get us even in the hunt for 6th. Then we won, and I think I'm having trouble actually believing what we are seeing at the moment.

4 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Imagine if the hand of Rod had been disallowed and we beat Wet Bum. There'd be a three point swing in our favour, meaning a one point game instead of four...

I think four points is too much considering our remaining fixtures, but I'm glad we've got close. 

Wet Bum!!! 😂 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

If we could have converted just a few of those draws into wins we'd be in the automatics.

Annoying games like PNE where we should have had 3 points, Notts Forest and baggies bah.

Norwich 6 losses then its us and Sheffield United on 9

the games at start with Ipswich and Reading were also big dropped points

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is true but you also have to remember we have had the same problem throughout the season.  The only difference is in previous games we would normally concede during the spells where we are against it.

We do need to try and control games better against more physical teams. 

But to be fair, every game in this league is a battle.  Some of them we’ll have to win in a ugly way.  

VLV....I am not having a go by the way, just simply observations.....We should have converted that Penalty, Tammy looked like he had just seen a ghost, not the ideal candidate feeling in such a mood.....we could have been comprehensively behind like Albion against Bristol City, because we failed to physically compete as they failed to track runners....You have to work in this league, talent alone will not always come to our aid, albeit the second half, proved it did.

I didn't think we were particularly good coping with the muscle under Bruce either.....The flank men are the biggest problem in terms of dealing with muscle....and it leaves too much work for the others.  El Ghazi-Green & Albert do not fill me with joy, when it comes to a physical game...Taylor is easily dispossessed and Elmo despite his good moments is not a naturally wired defender.

If you watch Norwich carefully their wing men, mix it well and dovetail with the centre boys.....their full backs are also well rounded and get stuck in.

We need to come out of the traps quickly on Saturday and be ready to work....all of them not just McGinn.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is true but you also have to remember we have had the same problem throughout the season.  The only difference is in previous games we would normally concede during the spells where we are against it.

We do need to try and control games better against more physical teams. 

But to be fair, every game in this league is a battle.  Some of them we’ll have to win in a ugly way.  

I am not a fan who thinks champagne football is the only thing that satisfies me.....I accept ugly, just want us to do it now and again, when it's necessary.

First Half....That was the bit I was waiting to see, but they just surrendered the initiative to Rotherham.

Paul Warne blamed the Sending off for them losing the game, such was the change in Villa going down to 10 men.....surely losing Mings should not render us better....my suspicion is some players in the first half were in second gear.

That's not on, how close we are to the play offs and on the back of 6 wins.

I was appalled in the First half and proud of them in the second, after the set back.....but we can't keep having long periods of slacking off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not a fan who thinks champagne football is the only thing that satisfies me.....I accept ugly, just want us to do it now and again, when it's necessary.

First Half....That was the bit I was waiting to see, but they just surrendered the initiative to Rotherham.

Paul Warne blamed the Sending off for them losing the game, such was the change in Villa going down to 10 men.....surely losing Mings should not render us better....my suspicion is some players in the first half were in second gear.

That's not on, how close we are to the play offs and on the back of 6 wins.

I was appalled in the First half and proud of them in the second, after the set back.....but we can't keep having long periods of slacking off.

I agree and throughout the season it had happened too often. But we have to remember this is still Bruce’s teams Smith is working with. I still think there will be wholesale changes no matter where we end the season.  

• Like 1