18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

That was so stressful, nothing is ever easy with Aston Villa. Saturday is going to be extremely difficult and I do see the winning streak ending, especially without Mings, but if we win that then I don't see us dropping out of the top 6.

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It angers me that every one of these ‘Ifs and Buts’ posts has unnecessary apostrophes in the title...

Dont mess up his chi. I have no idea what he's on about half the time, but it seems to be working :D

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Dont mess up his chi. I have no idea what he's on about half the time, but it seems to be working :D

Me either :D

Okay, leave it as is.

Should we make note of the pants we’re all wearing tonight? Tonight’s win has got to go down as one of the best of the season, all things considered. 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The game on Saturday is still big, but we are in a very good position now thanks to Blackburn. If we win on Saturday, then it'll be pretty hard to imagine us failing, given the two following fixtures. 

Yes, a large part of my thinking has been that Bristol is a “must win”, but because of other results, along with ours, it’s not quite as necessary to win that now. I’ve fallen into a mindset where I’m looking at how we secure 5th spot rather than 6th. 

Hypothetically speaking, two legs against potentially Sheff Utd/Leeds is harder than Baggies, but I’d fancy our chances against most at the moment.

However it’s still a big game, one we can’t lose, another win on Saturday would be huge and I think it would leave us with one foot firmly in the play off door.

I reckon there will be a few supporters of Derby, Boro, Hull etc who will be hoping we win too.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Should we make note of the pants we’re all wearing tonight?

I do have lucky claret and blue boxers and socks combo!  but these midweek games mean they are not washed in time so had to wear another combo.  Was cursing myself at HT but it all came up millhouse in the end!

5 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

I do have lucky claret and blue boxers and socks combo!  but these midweek games mean they are not washed in time so had to wear another combo.  Was cursing myself at HT but it all came up millhouse in the end!

No wonder your boxers are dirty ;)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd like to think that tonight's win will give us an enormous psychological boost. I know we've already shown a lot of resilience this season but that was something else.

Must have been physically draining though. Draw on Saturday might not be in the worst result in the world. Key thing is do not lose!!

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Must have been physically draining though. Draw on Saturday might not be in the worst result in the world. Key thing is do not lose!!

Huge game on Saturday.

Win would be huge for either club, defeat probably hurts you guys more because of ourselves and Derby having a game in hand.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Farlz said:

That was so stressful, nothing is ever easy with Aston Villa. Saturday is going to be extremely difficult and I do see the winning streak ending, especially without Mings, but if we win that then I don't see us dropping out of the top 6.

We put 5 past them last year at VP. Let them worry. Good team yeah but i wouldn't be having sleepless nights thinking about them.

• Like 1

Mad what a few weeks can do. From barely having a sniff of playoffs to now looking at nabbing 4th. Nice to see the club with some backbone after countless years of feableness. Long may it continue. Really looking forward to next year, whatever league we find ourselves. 

• Like 2

Looking at Derby and Middlesbrough fixtures both of them have far from easy games (except for Derby this weekend against Bolton)

So game against Bristol at weekend is more about whether we finish 5th or 6th providing we don’t do a QPR against Bolton and Millwall

16 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The only slight concern I have is that over the last couple of games we haven't put a good 90 minutes together and for large spells of those games have been on the back foot. 

On Saturday we played against a side who needed a result as much as we did and we struggled to match them for much of the game. The next two games we are again up against sides who need a result as much as we do and whilst on paper we have better quality we need to match these sides in terms of intensity and make sure we are fully focused.

Tonight is a really key game for me. Win and we will go into the Bristol game flying. Fail to and we go into that game under a lot of pressure. I also tonight want to see us getting back to playing on the front foot and with a high intensity for 90 minutes. 

If our attitude is right and we match teams in terms of effort then our superior quality will see us promoted.

Like you Mark, Despite a great win tonight with 10 men away, there were spells of real concern in the first half.....I was appalled at some of the laboured work going in....being beaten to and relieved of the ball so regularly was gauling.

where they got the second half performance from I don't know....but Kodjia clearly made a difference.

A couple of our better players have had a dip in form the last 3 games and we have relied on special moments in a game to secure the points as opposed to dominating the pitch craft...We need to pick up on being on the front foot and securing the initiative.

I also get mighty annoyed how John McGinn has to do all the ugly work with little help.....is he the only one who can win a ball?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Since the appointment of Dean Smith with Grealish fit the new projected points total would be 77 points after 46 games. That includes our 63 points now and projecting the current 2.33 PPG (P15 W11 D2 L2 Pts 35) from Smith with Grealish fit to gain 14 more points over the remaining 6 games.

Since the appointment of Dean Smith with Grealish fit the new projected points total would be 78 points after 46 games. That includes our 66 points now and projecting the current 2.375 PPG (P16 W12 D2 L2 Pts 38) from Smith with Grealish fit to gain 12 more points over the remaining 5 games.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Like you Mark, Despite a great win tonight with 10 men away, there were spells of real concern in the first half.....I was appalled at some of the laboured work going in....being beaten to and relieved of the ball so regularly was gauling.

where they got the second half performance from I don't know....but Kodjia clearly made a difference.

A couple of our better players have had a dip in form the last 3 games and we have relied on special moments in a game to secure the points as opposed to dominating the pitch craft...We need to pick up on being on the front foot and securing the initiative.

I also get mighty annoyed how John McGinn has to do all the ugly work with little help.....is he the only one who can win a ball?

This is true but you also have to remember we have had the same problem throughout the season.  The only difference is in previous games we would normally concede during the spells where we are against it.

We do need to try and control games better against more physical teams. 

But to be fair, every game in this league is a battle.  Some of them we’ll have to win in a ugly way.  

• Like 1

Shall we win our next 5 with Leeds and Sheff Utd win less than 3 and 4 points respectively. Then we go up with GD. 😂

Anyway we have a good chance to be 4th which would put a lot of pressure into West Brom. 

Still I think we shall take it game at a time. Yesterday most of us would have taken a draw after the red card.

25 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Shall we win our next 5 with Leeds and Sheff Utd win less than 3 and 4 points respectively. Then we go up with GD. 😂

Anyway we have a good chance to be 4th which would put a lot of pressure into West Brom. 

Still I think we shall take it game at a time. Yesterday most of us would have taken a draw after the red card.

Imagine that going up automatically that would be one of the greatest achievements ever. 

Sadly we left it too late. 4th would be brilliant