18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

?

He does well at first because he brings structure and organization to a team especially when the predecessor lacked that. The same can be said about a whole host of other managers like Pulis for example.

It's finding the consistency afterwards that he struggles with because beyond what I just mentioned (which a lot of managers don't have to be fair) he doesn't have much...otherwise he'd still be with us right now.

Not sure what's so egregious about that. We literally saw it play out with us lol

Structure and organization isn't "pull wor boots up" - those sort of phrases really do it a massive disservice (which you know, of course).

He was never going to be with us for that long because our fans (rightly or wrongly) expect the side to beat teams in this division comfortably and not playing in a certain manner.  It won't be the same issue at Sheffield Wednesday.  They play 3 of the best teams in the division with the top 2 away from home as their immediate next 2 games.  Losing those wouldn't be a sign of not finding consistency.

If's and But's

At the halfway stage for the midweek football. A mixed bag, but fair to say Preston and Nottm Forest are out of the race now. Massive chance to pull away from the pack tomorrow and potentially put pressure on WBA.

Bristol City to draw to West Brom - Bristol Win ❎

Sheff W to draw to N Forest - Sheff W Win ❎

Derby to beat Blackburn - Derby Lost ✅

Preston to lose to Leeds - Preston Lost ✅

Boro to beat Bolton - Boro Win ❎

Hull to beat Wigan

Villa to beat Rotherham

4 - West Brom - 70 points

5 - Villa - 66 points

6 - Bristol - 65 points

7 - Boro - 61 point

8 - Derby - 60 points

9 - Hull - 60 Points

10 - Sheff W - 59 Points

Games in hand - Derby x 1 & Bristol x 1

• Like 2

I think we'll need 4 wins to get a play off place. I know they have been on a dire run but looking at Boro's fixtures they could win all their remaining games which would put them on 76 points.

Tonight does prove we can't take our foot off the gas and we have to make sure we aren't complacent tomorrow.

I watched the Bristol Albion game and Albion could have got something out of that game as Gayle had two great chances so whilst Bristol look a decent side I certainly saw nothing for us to fear. A win against them on Saturday will be vital.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

We've got goals in us, 73 so far i think? And the defence/gk look a lot more solid nowadays, tomorrow is a banana skin no doubt, especially with their manager saying we're virtually a prem side, just hope we rock up with the right attitude and the same fight we've shown over this winning streak. If we take our eye off the ball we will drop points, happened too many times. I think DS will have us focused though with feet firmly on the ground. Think we'll edge it 1-2.

• Like 1

It's now well and truly in our own hands. We can only blame ourselves if we don't make the playoffs so we need to make sure we stay focused now and win the next four to ensure the chance of getting up. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's Bristol though. Lee Johnson will come out tonight with his cock hanging out,  giving it the big I am...and then lose the next 7.

Post of the decade for me !!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s so great about their fans? Genuine question.

I must admit, I was thinking the same when viewing all those empty seats on TV tonight, for their game to get back into the play-offs. 

6 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Look at us still hanging around like a that "Funny odour" you just can't put yer finger on 😀

Bruce is a decent manager for you. He will keep you solid and probably get you to playoffs next season. It won’t be pretty but it will be effective.

If however things start going wrong for you you’ll see a different side to your manager. One you probably wouldn’t expect. 

Weird feeling about tomorrow.

Far too confident about Bristol at home. Unfairly so, they're where they are for a reason, but at home I can't see us not mauling them first half and doing enough in the second.

4 points from next two isn't enough, but it's not a disaster. Consoling myself with that as I've got a nasty feeling about Rotherham.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s so great about their fans? Genuine question.

10 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I must admit, I was thinking the same when viewing all those empty seats on TV tonight, for their game to get back into the play-offs. 

What I will say is our fanbase is still growing, we would easily sell out our allocation at Wembley, and would have been able to for years, but just a handful of years ago 13k was what we'd be expecting for a home game, maybe down to 10k on an evening midweek.

When we reached the playoff final 11 years ago, our average crowd was a shade over 16k. Our lowest league attendance is over 2k more than that. And I realise compared to Villa those are still pretty low numbers, but we haven't achieved half the things Villa have. Our best ever finish is 2nd in the First division over 110 years ago and a FA Cup runners up about 110 years ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bruce is a decent manager for you. He will keep you solid and probably get you to playoffs next season. It won’t be pretty but it will be effective.

If however things start going wrong for you you’ll see a different side to your manager. One you probably wouldn’t expect. 

No doubt mate...I'll take your word for it....but you have to take into account expectation....

Villa have only recently dropped out of he top flight and the pressure for an immediate return while the parachute payments last is immense..

Wednesday a few months ago looked like leaving the league in the opposite direction, so everything is more or less gravy in the run in this year.

No doubt Villa fans feel a sort of "right of passage"..So you should when you take the size of your club and fanbase into account...I felt much the same about Wednesday when we dipped down...

It no longer works like that..

If Villa make the play offs, which I reckon you will...given your support and players like Grealish and McGinn..I would back you against anyone...

but its not those games you have to be wary of in the championship...Its games like tomorrow night at Rotherham, They are an awful side to play, its a tight ground ..its almost like a legoland thingy...It feels strange..even when you are stood in it, you sorta don't expect football players to trot out...any road up...you will see tomorrow...

All we have to do is beat Leeds away next..bloody doddle down here eh ?😀

• Like 1