18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They're also much more used to being relegated and getting back out of the championship.

I'm sure if we went up this year (lol) and then got relegated again in a year or two we'd be much better equipped to bounce straight back.

Years of being run as a premier league team (badly) takes a lot of adjusting when you go down.

Stoke are doing very similarly to how we were doing

Exactly...... If a Burnley got relegated this season, they probably wouldn't even sack Dyche unless of course he wanted out, and they would favourites to go straight back up.

We got relegated with a mess of a team and we still have a mess of a team.

I understand that it is my view but I think it is plain to see we might have better players but we are being beaten by better teams. 

Average points for a Championship 6th placed finish is 73.8 points.  Therefore we need 30 points to hit this.

10 wins from final 13 games should get us 6th place, especially considering this season is a below average one for points gained.

Still never going to happen though!

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Different scenarios though. They havent had to build a new squad or even get a new manager

They also had a good end to last season

I think that we still could have gone up had we not wasted so much money on average players and a half decent manager. 

West brom are a better run club than we were that's for sure. Xia and RDM totally destroyed us when we came down. further and now we are suffering. 

Bruce also contributed but he can at least say he alamot got us there. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think that we still could have gone up had we not wasted so much money on average players and a half decent manager. 

West brom are a better run club than we were that's for sure. Xia and RDM totally destroyed us when we came down. further and now we are suffering. 

Bruce also contributed but he can at least say he alamot got us there. 

Do you not remember our relegation squad. Okore, Bacuna, Richards, Guzan, Gestede, Lescott etc. Bunch of wastemen 😉

We needed a massive rebuild but went for a quick fix option as usual

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philgetaway said:

Average points for a Championship 6th placed finish is 73.8 points.  Therefore we need 30 points to hit this.

10 wins from final 13 games should get us 6th place, especially considering this season is a below average one for points gained.

Still never going to happen though!

We have managed 10 wins from our 33 games to date, so 10 from the last 13 seems a tad ambitious. Looking forward to it though. 🍻 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not going to lie it's frustrating watching West brom do so well in their first season compared to how we did in our first year. 

Yes and if someone had told me that they would be 16 points ahead of us 2 months after they had stolen a home draw against us in December, I would not have believed it possible.   :(

9 minutes ago, John said:

Yes and if someone had told me that they would be 16 points ahead of us 2 months after they had stolen a home draw against us in December, I would not have believed it possible.   :(

Yep shows how bad a job Smith is doing I am afraid 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Remember when people thought we wouldn't lose a game after the December games? Talk about getting carried away. We have truly imploded.

If we'd carried on playing like that we'd have won 70% of our remaining matches. We were opening teams up for fun. Soz for enjoying it.

Yes, for a number of reasons the wheels have come off.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Remember when people thought we wouldn't lose a game after the December games? Talk about getting carried away. We have truly imploded. 

Shows this squad would probably do as badly as Fulham have had we gone up

I would have liked to have found out. I rather think that the squad would have looked a lot different next season had we been able to get up as well. 

Yes, I probably was one of the ones that got carried away. Although, I suspected that we might lose one or two games... It was nice to feel optimistic about the club for a bit though. ;) 

On 20/02/2019 at 16:27, John said:

It certainly didn't seem to be in the offing on the evidence of that match.

Admittedly, we've played pretty poorly in a number of games since Christmas but there have been a number of games where we haven't had the right break in front of goal or have missed chances you'd otherwise have expected us to put away. On many occasions these have come at pivotal moments in the game. West Brom, on the other hand seem to be getting all the luck going. Last minute goals, deflected 20 yarders and handballed efforts. As poor as we were against Brentford we had 2 great chances to score which would probably have been enough to win the game had we taken either. By all accounts we were the better side for large parts of the game against West Brom with Tammy missing another sitter at 0-0. 

It's not hard to envisage a situation where with a bit of luck we could be in a lot better position. 

I think the 4 above us will drop enough points for us to still have a chance. Bristol City surely can't keep on winning? And Derby, Forest and Blues' form is all patchy.

Obviously, the counter argument to this is that our own form is terrible. But that could change quickly with the return of Jack and the rub of the green here and there. Confidence is a fluctuating state. I can't see us winning 7 or 8 in a row, but 3 and then a draw followed by the same, and once more for good measure? Probable, no? But not impossible.

Yes, to all intents and purposes it feels like the season is over and we're too far off the pace now, but it's still February and we have games against our direct rivals in the coming weeks.

As a natural born pessimist this is probably the most positive thing I've ever written. I'll go and have a lie down now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Screw the Premier League. Full of prawn sandwich eating fans and shallow greedy players that don’t care about the club. 

It’s all about the Football league!!

I know you might be taking the piss BUT im in no hurry to go up. 

Premier League is shit and not going go places as i remember last time we were there abd it wasn't fun. At least in Championship we win games (though not recently) 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Premier League is shit and not going go places as i remember last time we were there abd it wasn't fun. At least in Championship we win games (though not recently) 

It was fun at a point. I’d rather be where wolves are then we are, losing to shit teams like Brentford and struggling to beat teams like reading.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Im not even taking the piss. Prefer this league. Looking forward to us when Smith gets his own players in that can play his way.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Premier League is shit and not going go places as i remember last time we were there and it wasn't fun. At least in Championship we win games (though not recently) 

Our time in the championship has been up there with the worst times as a Villa fan IMO. Seeing the diabolical standard of most of our players and playing trash like Rotherham and Brentford makes my eyes hurt. I know we won't achieve much in the Premier League but it's where we should be. 

Not a single thing I like about this league.

Bunch of talentless try-hard's and overpaid has-been's, and that's just our team.

Amazingly a lot of teams are even worse.

We are not even playing the same sport as the teams in the PL and CL anymore.