18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

We currently have all 4, yes 4! Of our first team defenders making up our back four. That includes 3 bloody right backs!  

QPR will have watched that and will play the ball over the top all game. We are going to struggle no matter who we play. until we can get players back in key positions or strengthen. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We currently have all 4, yes 4! Of our first team defenders making up our back four. That includes 3 bloody right backs!  

QPR will have watched that and will play the ball over the top all game. We are going to struggle no matter who we play. until we can get players back in key positions or strengthen. 

Really ?

You do realise Preston had around 8 first teamers out today -the defence was breached only once - all clubs get injuries. Shef u scored 3 with 10 men on the pitch - albion equalized with 10 on the pitch. 

Meanwhile JK spends 90 minutes on the bench.

I still fancy us for playoffs absolutely. Not even in 2019 yet I'm not going to write this season off. Today was disappointing but make a couple good signings in certain areas and get key players fit, I'd back us against any side in this league.

33 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Too many draws Smith. You don't go up drawing.

Can't defend, can't keep a lead, can't control the ball... too much is wrong. No promotion this year, I'm giving up.

The draws were a criticism of Smiths at Brentford, hence their position in the league under him. We saw that with his Brentford at VP this season. In patches they looked fluid and dynamic and at times unplayable, but they seemed not to be able to maintain it and began to capitulate under pressure.

We are betting he can translate his positives witnessed in his previous job and manifest promotion with better players and resources at Villa. I personally think he needs the transfer windows and a pre-season to develop a squad toward his game plan and drip feed his ideas. Then I will judge. 

I think talk of top 2 and expectations of winning the next 6 games on the bounce is illogical. This season, we want to be pushing to get into the top 6 and remaining there. The performances have dropped significantly with the loss of Grealish. I don’t think we have the energy in the centre of the pitch and at both full-back positions currently to play the game Smith wants and is trying to. When I watch, It’s like the brain knows what to do but the legs cannot do it. I think the addition of this energy and robustness will also help us defensively as a team to pressure the ball. Furthermore, without Grealish the transition is to slow, whether it’s moving through the lines or more commonly out to the wide players. At times it’s laboured and results in crosses from deep against defenders that are set. Much like it was under Bruce. I do think Smith will address this but needs time. The additions in January will be interesting. I think expectations should be tempered until then and perhaps the summer IMO.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2