18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That’s absolutely fine. But there seems to be an argument that says we were defensively sound before and since Smith has come in it’s gone to shit which isn’t quite accurate.

Bruce is to blame for this seasons mess, it needs addressing badly. I'm not sure Smith is the man to fix the problem, he has always seemed more of a score one more than the opposition kind of guy than a man that will get a team to be organised. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That’s absolutely fine. But there seems to be an argument that says we were defensively sound before and since Smith has come in it’s gone to shit which isn’t quite accurate.

Exactly.

Bruce had us shipping as many goals as Smith on average this season, while scoring a lot less.

One of them is supposed to be a defense expert.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Bruce is to blame for this seasons mess, it needs addressing badly. I'm not sure Smith is the man to fix the problem, he has always seemed more of a score one more than the opposition kind of guy than a man that will get a team to be organised. 

Yeah I’m not even looking to lay more blame at Bruce’s feet, he’s gone and we’re having to make do with the situation. I’m just wary of this argument that our defence is bad and it’s solely down to Smith. I think he could and should be doing better with it, not loads better, but better than the last month or so. 

But this idea that our defence had become awful since his appointment just isn’t correct. It’s been bad all season.

• Like 1

Alot of people will have envied Wolves (Myself included) and might think (Well they got taken over by folks with big money and ambition and got top notch players, a top manager and did it in one/two seasons.

However now I think about it, they've been setting the foundation for years and just got the funds and ownership in place to push them to the next level.

We have sadly done it backwards ffs.

(Prompted by watching them play a hell of a game again in the PL and have to temper my angst/jealousy)

EDIT: Mind you if we had bought wisely in the first place we wouldn't be talking about building slowly as we probably would have already been promoted.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Not gonna happen, unless we fly in peak Nesta, Cannavaro and the real Cafu. We would need a dramatic turnaround and a run of multiple wins on the bounce to challenge for playoffs. Points gap widening and games running out. My heart always wants to believe but my head tells me we'll be nowhere near. We are a poor team.

Nah, it's done this season regards promotion. Even if we did go on some miraculous run (which won't happen with Grealish And Tuanzebe out and no keepers of a decent standard) we still don't have enough to win them.

I agree we are a very poor team with a decent striker (who leaves at the seasons end)

Well our next 2 games are against 2 of the worst teams in there league. If we don’t get 6 points I’ll say it’s over, If we do get 6 points results go our way and Jack returns for the Shef United game then there’s still a little hope. 

Hopefully the players haven’t thrown in the towel just yet like some of the fans have. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well our next 2 games are against 2 of the worst teams in there league. If we don’t get 6 points I’ll say it’s over, If we do get 6 points results go our way and Jack returns for the Shef United game then there’s still a little hope. 

Hopefully the players haven’t thrown in the towel just yet like some of the fans have. 

An additional small crumb of comfort - it’s worth considering that there’s currently only one point difference between sixth and fourth (although I doubt that will be the case after Baggies’ next game).

The few who have any hope on sixth would presumably also have some hope that fifth is also attainable.

It’s irrelevant if we carry on as we are. HAVE to win a bloody game or two though. It feels like it’s very quickly slipping away from us.