Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I watched Wandavision last night, really didn't enjoy it, I'm not a fan of those type of sitcoms anyway so it was a tough watch.

Every time I was thinking of switching it off though something would happen And it decide to give it a few more minutes.

Even though I didn't really enjoy it, I'll probably stick with it for a few more episodes to see where it's going.

This is exactly where I am. As it's short I'll give it a few more episodes, but I didn't enjoy the premise.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

WandaVision is... Well it's hard to say off 2 episodes.

I can see what it's doing, and there's nods to where it's going, but wow is it a bit a severe left turn for the series. 

The big problem it has, for me, is it's doing a satire/pastiche of American sitcoms but the satire isn't funny and it's versions of these classic sitcoms aren't funny either. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm not sure Vision and Wanda are good enough characters to carry series where the fundamental mystery of what exactly is going on is drip fed at snails pace.

As for what we see...

Hide contents

There's numerous references to SWORD, the version of SHIELD for intergalactic threats, which no doubt is going to be important.

There's also been a reference to Baron Strucker, who was the Hydra leader who made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the MCU timeline.

And of course the entire thing is a House of M reference...

House of M was a fairly dark storyline where Wanda has a mental breakdown and recreates the world in a manner to her liking.

Spoiler

I must be blind. Where was the House of M reference(s)? Also, if that’s the case are we to assume they’re going down the storyline of Magneto / X-Men ? 

1 hour ago, MCU said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I must be blind. Where was the House of M reference(s)? Also, if that’s the case are we to assume they’re going down the storyline of Magneto / X-Men ? 

Spoiler

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

This is the Easter Egg. Like the Stark Industries toaster and the Strucker/Hydra watch, but the label translates to ‘house of misery’ 

Its not going to follow the House of M from the comics, but it’s an ‘influence’ along with a Vision mini-series from a few years ago where he lives in surburbia with his family. 

Same with the Secret Invasion storyline with Fury, it won’t be the same as the comic version, but some elements will be there. 

• Like 1

I didn't know anything about it and still don't beyond what I've just watched, but I quite liked the first episode of 'Wandavision'. With reference to the above comparison to David Lynch, it did remind me a little of 'Rabbits' albeit obviously not quite as 'surreal'.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MCU said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

The entire thing is essentially a reference to House of M - Wanda in an idealised/fantasy world of her making.

I actually didn't spot the wine bottle reference, but just the whole thing is clearly inspired by the House of M storyline (or at least the concept), mixed with the Vision series from a few years back.

Its not going to actually DO the House of M storyline, but it's evidently inspired by it and nodding at it. They've even possibly had some subtle nods to the villain at the heart of that story - the Big Red gum, the devil in the details. I'll be surprised if they actually go down that route, but it could do given Doc Strange 2, Wanda being in that, this series being tied to that...

• Like 1

On to phase 2 of the series. 

Iron Man 3 was fairly disappointing. Thor Dark World. Jesus that was tough. Like a really long high budget Dr Who and not because of Ecco. If that was the first film I would be out by now. 

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Iron Man 3 was fairly disappointing. Thor Dark World. Jesus that was tough. Like a really long high budget Dr Who and not because of Ecco. If that was the first film I would be out by now. 

The best couple of things in Thor Dark World is Kat Dennings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The best couple of things in Thor Dark World is Kat Dennings.

Watching the Marvel films this week has introduced me to Kat Dennings. She is phenomenal.  

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Winter soldier is probably my favourite marvel film, I liked the tonal shift to almost like a political spy thriller 

And guardians of the galaxy is maybe 2nd so you should be in for a treat with the next 2

Hard to know if everyone else's comments is setting up expectations that the films won't live up to! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Winter soldier is probably my favourite marvel film, I liked the tonal shift to almost like a political spy thriller 

And guardians of the galaxy is maybe 2nd so you should be in for a treat with the next 2

Hard to know if everyone else's comments is setting up expectations that the films won't live up to! 

I am avoiding lingering on comments in all honesty. Don’t want to be influenced. 

Yeah I did really want to mention that Phase 2 does not start well.

Iron Man 3 is very divisive, and pisses off a lot of fans because of what they did with the Mandarin (which they actually retconned in a short on a home media release). I like elements of it but it's too much the Shane Black movie I think. I also hate the MK42 suit.

And Thor 2 is... I don't hate Thor 2, but it's definitely bottom tier on the whole. There's little scenes and moments I like (I still think the moment where Loki reveals himself in the cell is one of the best emotional scenes in the series) and I think fundamentally it's a decent plot, they just fluffed the production on it. The Dark Elves aren't fleshed out, they fudge in the Aether, everyone is phoning it in... Iirc it had some development troubles and ultimately they ended up with a TV director who did a couple of GoT episodes helming it.

Well Wandavision, very strange. Not sure what to make of it. Agree with someone above that they could have cut the first episode as didn’t add anything. 
Will keep watching, but although I was expecting “different” it’s not what I thought. 
The bee keepers is odd, I’ve heard someone mention that this is A.I.M. I’ve no idea what that means. 
As others said above, I don’t know the comics to know any Easter eggs. 
Also I’ve never been interested in Vision as a character from the films so it’s tough to instantly get into. 

35 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well Wandavision, very strange. Not sure what to make of it. Agree with someone above that they could have cut the first episode as didn’t add anything. 
Will keep watching, but although I was expecting “different” it’s not what I thought. 
The bee keepers is odd, I’ve heard someone mention that this is A.I.M. I’ve no idea what that means. 
As others said above, I don’t know the comics to know any Easter eggs. 
Also I’ve never been interested in Vision as a character from the films so it’s tough to instantly get into. 

Advanced Idea Mechanics

Basically ‘ bad’ boffins, MODOK is an member 

• Thanks 1

Saw the first episode of WandaVision last night, didn't hate it, and it had enough intrigue about it to make me want to keep up with it. How often are episodes out? 

Â