Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 are the worse for me.

My top 5...

1) Endgame 

2) IW

3) Avengers

4) Ragnorok

5) Civil War

Cannot tell you how many of them are just so utterly fantastic that I actually feel gutted they miss out on my my top 5. 

I really hope this next phase of films are just as good. Can't see how they can top the infinity saga but we'll see.

• Like 1

WandaVision is... Well it's hard to say off 2 episodes.

I can see what it's doing, and there's nods to where it's going, but wow is it a bit a severe left turn for the series. 

The big problem it has, for me, is it's doing a satire/pastiche of American sitcoms but the satire isn't funny and it's versions of these classic sitcoms aren't funny either. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm not sure Vision and Wanda are good enough characters to carry series where the fundamental mystery of what exactly is going on is drip fed at snails pace.

As for what we see...

Spoiler

There's numerous references to SWORD, the version of SHIELD for intergalactic threats, which no doubt is going to be important.

There's also been a reference to Baron Strucker, who was the Hydra leader who made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the MCU timeline.

And of course the entire thing is a House of M reference...

House of M was a fairly dark storyline where Wanda has a mental breakdown and recreates the world in a manner to her liking.

• Like 2

So Thor was very enjoyable. Really liked the lead and the over all story. Good. Definitely the best so far. 

The Avengers. Hmmm. Least liked so far. Over long part on the Air Aircraft carrier, way too much focus on Loki. Got tedious. 

For those just reading I started watching the marvel films in order. Not watched any before.

So websites say that is the end of Phase 1. Good. Liked the Iron Man films and really enjoyed Thor.  

Hmm, not liking Avengers 1 is a controversial one.

I can see why some people wouldn't get on with it, it's very, very, very Joss Whedon, whose style doesn't gel with everyone, but it's still so good. The set pieces are just brilliant. And pretty much established Loki as a fan favourite character.

You're into Phase 2 now, which has some of the best films in the entire series, and for a few people some of the worst as well.

• Like 3

On 14/01/2021 at 15:25, MCU said:

Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 are the worse for me.

My top 5...

1) Endgame 

2) IW

3) Avengers

4) Ragnorok

5) Civil War

Cannot tell you how many of them are just so utterly fantastic that I actually feel gutted they miss out on my my top 5. 

I really hope this next phase of films are just as good. Can't see how they can top the infinity saga but we'll see.

Mine would be: 

1. IW

2. End Game

3. Ragnarok 

4. Civil War

5.  GOTG 

On 14/01/2021 at 15:41, stuart_75 said:

I didn't think the Ed Norton Hulk film was that bad. But Iron Man 2 & 3 plus Age of Ultron were utter, utter tripe.

I think its an underrated movie, has dropped from the radar because Norton never came back but it has its moments. Its probably one of the more serious Marvel films in that not much comedy in it

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

WandaVision is... Well it's hard to say off 2 episodes.

I can see what it's doing, and there's nods to where it's going, but wow is it a bit a severe left turn for the series. 

The big problem it has, for me, is it's doing a satire/pastiche of American sitcoms but the satire isn't funny and it's versions of these classic sitcoms aren't funny either. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm not sure Vision and Wanda are good enough characters to carry series where the fundamental mystery of what exactly is going on is drip fed at snails pace.

As for what we see...

Hide contents

There's numerous references to SWORD, the version of SHIELD for intergalactic threats, which no doubt is going to be important.

There's also been a reference to Baron Strucker, who was the Hydra leader who made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in the MCU timeline.

And of course the entire thing is a House of M reference...

House of M was a fairly dark storyline where Wanda has a mental breakdown and recreates the world in a manner to her liking.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, but I’d imagine it’s going to be quite polarising. My wife hated it and got up half way through episode 2.

I thought Bettany and Olsen were excellent. They mix elements of mania and confusion into their performances really well, underneath the over-the-top sitcom caricatures.

I agree on the humour, it isn’t particularly funny despite the delivery being good, but I think it’s deliberate? The jokes are a bit too obvious, the characters a bit too over the top, even the canned laughter seems a bit too loud to me. Deliberate or not, it adds to it when I’m trying to see the show through the perspective of Wanda’s mind.  

I think it’s more enjoyable if you know a bit about the character in the comics and where it’s heading movie-wise in terms of Dr Strange and Spider-Man 3.  

Enjoyed looking for the Easter eggs too and looking forward to episode 3.    

I couldn't even finish the 1st episode of WandaVision despite it only being just over 20 minutes long! Maybe I'll give it another shot later down the line but its doubtful. Its just not for me

Edited by Bizzzle

41 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

I couldn't even finish the 1st episode of WandaVision despite it only being just over 20 minutes long! Maybe I'll give it another shot later down the line but its doubtful. Its just not for me

It’s shite

• Like 1

I guess the problem with WandaVision is I don’t know all the source material nearly well enough to spot anything of interest.  So on the face of it it is a badly acted, not funny sitcom of dubious provenance.  Having said that (just had to get that in there) I have just finished episode two and am somewhat intrigued. Didn’t realise episodes are coming out weekly though.  May be very hard for the casual viewer to remain interested. Next bit in a spoiler because I don’t know if it is or not:

Spoiler

The character in WandaVision, Geraldine / Monica Rambeau played by Teyonah Parris is going to be in Captain Marvel II playing Monica Rambeau. Yeah I don’t know what that means ever.

But who or what is the bee keeper coming out of a sewer drain?

• Like 1

I watched Wandavision last night, really didn't enjoy it, I'm not a fan of those type of sitcoms anyway so it was a tough watch.

Every time I was thinking of switching it off though something would happen And it decide to give it a few more minutes.

Even though I didn't really enjoy it, I'll probably stick with it for a few more episodes to see where it's going.

I've enjoyed Wandavision so far. I don't like either of the characters really based on their appearances in the films, but I find it pretty intriguing. It's probably time to amp up the mystery though as I'm not sure how much interest they can generate from an imaginary sitcom world on its own. 

Interesting list of people's favourites. The most enjoyable one for me was Captain America Winter Soldier. It had a good balance of characters and changed up the marvel formula in a better, more ambitious way. I also weirdly really liked GOTG2. 

The other day I said Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 were the worst ones for me, but I'd like to add Doctor Strange to the list. I completely forgot about it for a reason. 

Edited by Rolta

Â