Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

Saw the first episode of WandaVision last night, didn't hate it, and it had enough intrigue about it to make me want to keep up with it. How often are episodes out? 

2 came out last week and a new one today.

This week's episode of WandaVision is better. The 70s sitcom pastiche is more successful, which is largely what carries it, but the final 2 minutes begin to lay out a bit more of where it's headed. It's still thin on the ground for what I'm coming to the this for, which is the bigger story - I don't need 20 minutes of a decade by decade sitcom style for 2 minutes of story development, so the whole foundation of the series is a bit of a damp squib, it kinda feels like an incredibly drawn out set up for the bigger story.

But, definitely better. The sitcom stuff was less out and out unfunny naffness, progressing to barely funny nothingness, and the 2 minutes at the end started to push some definitives about the wider story from the nods we had last week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

So @Seat68, how has your MCU journey been going? I believe Winter Soldier was the next one in the series...

I am up to Ant Man, thats the next one. Guardians of the galaxy was excellent. Age of Ultron was pretty good too. Overall I like the Thor character, and I now know what Groot is. 

Its a voyage of discovery really as none of the films ever appeared on my radar. Also thankfully, and by accident I found out that it’s essential I watch to the end of the credits. 

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am up to Ant Man, thats the next one. Guardians of the galaxy was excellent. Age of Ultron was pretty good too. Overall I like the Thor character, and I now know what Groot is. 

Its a voyage of discovery really as none of the films ever appeared on my radar. Also thankfully, and by accident I found out that it’s essential I watch to the end of the credits. 

Ah good. What did you think of Winter Soldier? That, together with GotG, is often tagged as one of the highlights of the series.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Ah good. What did you think of Winter Soldier? That, together with GotG, is often tagged as one of the highlights of the series.

It was fairly good. My hope is Winter Soldier returns in some capacity. 

• Like 1

Obviously with the age of Ultron I had the Wandavision realisation, which will be the very last thing I watch. What I am finding is with time the films do appear to be improving. I expect blips but broadly, each film is an improvement. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I have to admit, I really liked both Ant-Man movies and rate the first as up amongst the best in the MCU series

totally agree about GOTG and Winter Soldier being the top picks though. 

agree with the 2nd comment, my favourite 2 too, as for ant man

Spoiler

i liked it, its better than it really has any right to be largely thanks to rudd and pena and the direction they took the film in, my "problem" with it is that for me it was the part of them expanding where they started to dilute the overarching theme or genre of the film, GOTG, Thor 3 and ant man and now all kind of the same comedic core

take GOTG and winter soldier as my 2 favourites, very different films, i almost feel like GOTG was such an unexpected success that it ingrained itself in to the marvel formula a bit too much, now they just have a bit more generic blockbusters with a comedic tone running through them, black widow will be a test of that, its so obvious that they can take it back towards being a thriller but i dont think they will, the dad and family dynamic will be comedic and everything else will be generic explosions and loud noises

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

agree with the 2nd comment, my favourite 2 too, as for ant man

Hide contents

i liked it, its better than it really has any right to be largely thanks to rudd and pena and the direction they took the film in, my "problem" with it is that for me it was the part of them expanding where they started to dilute the overarching theme or genre of the film, GOTG, Thor 3 and ant man and now all kind of the same comedic core

take GOTG and winter soldier as my 2 favourites, very different films, i almost feel like GOTG was such an unexpected success that it ingrained itself in to the marvel formula a bit too much, now they just have a bit more generic blockbusters with a comedic tone running through them, black widow will be a test of that, its so obvious that they can take it back towards being a thriller but i dont think they will, the dad and family dynamic will be comedic and everything else will be generic explosions and loud noises

I don’t mind the humour and generally watch the marvel films with my 14yr old lad who loves the MCU so I can let a lot go as I see the enjoyment it brings to my lad.

it’s similar with the Star Wars prequels and sequels - he loves them all so I can forgive a lot of the terrible stuff (believe me, I could pick apart every one of them)

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t mind the humour and generally watch the marvel films with my 14yr old lad who loves the MCU so I can let a lot go as I see the enjoyment it brings to my lad.

it’s similar with the Star Wars prequels and sequels - he loves them all so I can forgive a lot of the terrible stuff (believe me, I could pick apart every one of them)

Feel free. I can't stand Star Wars and think it's ridiculously overrated, but that's for another thread that I won't go anywhere near. 

• Haha 1

Good episode of Wandavision.

Sure it basically just filled in what we've seen set up over the last 3 episodes but it did well and established a decent premise. Be interesting to see where it goes and also if there will be more to the set up than what is seemingly the case now. But good episode -we're into the meat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not sure why but one of the few my wife has given her full undivided attention to. 

If she's anything like my wife, then you can put it down to the Paul Rudd effect 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Watched Ant Man today. Was one of the most standalone films I have watched in the MCU so far. Not sure why but one of the few my wife has given her full undivided attention to. 
On the whole it was pretty good, good cast. Definitely up there for me and will look forward to the return of characters in future films. 

Ant-mans a fun diversion for the series, and one of the better origin films. Still adore that suit design and Michael Douglas playing a much older cantankerous Pym is brilliant.

The Cure gag is still one of my favourite in the series and I still reckon is a hangover from when Edgar Wright was going to direct it.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

Â