New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We have no defence and we can't spend any money to fix it. The little we CAN spend will not be until January where we will be too far adrift.

Next season we will be in an even worse position if we don't go up. We are in a mess.

Oh ye of little faith ?

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

You can flip that round. Bruce is exactly the “right guy” for a club in the mess we are in. So are Allardyce and Moyes.

Time for something new. At least under Garde you could see he was trying to modernise the way we play. He was just absolutely shafted by the whole situation.

Just because Bruce failed at Villa, it doesn't mean that we now have to disregard every qualified manager and bring in a novice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Just because Bruce failed at Villa, it doesn't mean that we now have to disregard every qualified manager and bring in a novice. 

That isn’t what I meant. Experience just doesn’t mean that much. Every single manager we have had us been experienced other than Sherwood really. And he was probably my preferred manager of god knows how many years. 

36 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

True. But we are in a worse position as a club than derby with far higher expectations. This is a club so big that some people on this very forum think we can attract some of the worlds top managers and yet we are now after a man with no managerial experience.

I knew we wouldn't be getting any of the silly names being mentioned (for which I was lambasted by some), but I did at least think we would hire an actual manager and not a potential one.

I will be devastated if we hire Henry.

We haven’t appointed anyone yet. Cold hard fact. 

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

What did I say there that you disagree with?

Well this season is not a write off quite yet.Acouple of quick wins and we'd probably be in the top six

Remember Fulham last season. i wonder if a new manager would try Bedeau for instance at CH, very

impressive for the U23's. we'll see but I wouldn't get too depressed yet - just saying

21 hours ago, allani said:

We are talking about Belgium - the team that finished 3rd in the World Cup?  When almost everyone says that France v Belgium should have been the final in terms of having the best two teams getting through.  Their only mistake was in not deliberately losing to (or drawing with) England in order to get into the easier half of the draw.

I fully agree that Belgium had one of the best teams in the WC, but my point was that I thought they played a lot worse than what a team with those players should be doing.

They won most games, but I my opinion mostly because of moments of individual brilliance. They were out played by Brazil despite on paper having a team that should be able to match them, and they were lucky to turn the game against Japan after two fortunate substitutions. In most games the team looked disjointed and unorganised. There was constant switching of three or four at the back. There were some strange decisions, f.ex. playing slow midfielders against teams with fast players and as predicted got overrun in midfield. Belgium obviously got good results and came 3:d, but the way they played did not impress me. Playingwise they rather underperformed in my opinion.

Tbh I’m at the point where I reckon even Pep Guardiola would fail here. Literally every manager in my supporting life has so why would the next one be any different.

Maybe MON was actually a hero and we just don’t know it, seeing as that’s the only time I’ve enjoyed watching Villa. 

• Like 1

Just now, KMitch said:

Seeing reports that we’re now after Martinez and not Henry...  I’m 100% for this. I’m a huge supporter of his.

Think the reports actually said Martinez if no agreement made with their first choice Henry, but who knows really

Perhaps it’s Martinez AND Henry? 

Fwiw I honestly think Terry will be taking up a role with Chelsea. I don’t think he has ever been in our plans to bring him back here as a coach. 

Edited by Tayls

31 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

They have far better CV's for this role than Henry does!

Smith has done an incredible jon in management and Flores hasn't done bad either. Neither of them are a total punt which I'm afraid Henry would be. 

Smith's a huge punt. Don't get me wrong he has done a great job at Brentford but managing a club like Brentford compared to managing a beast of a club like villa is a completely different kettle of fish.

I think the fans would sat smith alive as he hasn't done it at that level as a player or manager.  Henry at least has as a player and under great managers too. He also has the Wenger arsenal connection which will guide him.

I'd rather take a punt on Henry than smith 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

They have far better CV's for this role than Henry does!

Smith has done an incredible jon in management and Flores hasn't done bad either. Neither of them are a total punt which I'm afraid Henry would be. 

Your getting carried away with Smith chap. He has hardly done a "incredible job". I mean he ain't done bad but he's won nothing an is doing ok with the tools he has. Give him Villa to manage and it will be Lambert mk2, we would kill him off, an 80k a week players are not gonna take any notice of him.

We need a big name, but can't get it, so a big player with potential to be a great manager is probably the best we can get.