New Manager Speculation

maqroll

6 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

@One For The Road you keep saying you are “telling it like ot is”. In truth however you are on a forum speculating with others and unless you are ITK your really have no idea how it is same way as the reat of is. Chill out a bit with the shouting down of people enjoying alittle hope. 

I am saying that it's highly unlikely we will sign a world class manager and I am being shouted down for it. 

As I have said now several times. 

Let's just see who we get.

Edited by One For The Road

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The comment is meant to mean that some fans who have low expectation levels at this time will be sad to learn that we won't be getting any Holloway's, McClaren's, McCarthey's, Dowie's of this world with our new owners.

I know you're not probably questioning the boards statement of intent - I was explaining that part to you from your last posts.

I am doubting Steve Bruce will win the cabbage of the month award but I could be wrong.

Enjoy your evening.  ;)

I don't think we will sign any of those names you just mentioned. And just because someone has low expectations given the club's decline in recent years, it does not mean they would not be elated if something amazing happened.

I want the best for the club but my expectations have been flattened in the last 4 years or so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I am saying that it's highly unlikely we will sign a world class manager and I am bi being shouted down for it. 

Wenger as DoF only*

Fwiw, I don't think Wenger would be our next manager when there are other younger and hungrier managers ready to emerge.. your Henry's & Arteta's etc.

It would make sense of someone of Wengers' ilk to excel in a DoF capacity.

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I just read an article, where he said exactly that Jim. However he also said that he wanted his next job to be as a manager in his own right and to have a project of his own. Could be an interesting one, especially as other have said we are appointing a DOF. Portuguese too just to keep the Mendes theme alive. 

Would also tie in with Nixon’s comments earlier today and a north west connection too which is where Nixon is based so maybe something in it .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The comment is meant to mean that some fans who have low expectation levels at this time will be sad to learn that we won't be getting any Holloway's, McClaren's, McCarthey's, Dowie's of this world with our new owners.

I know you're not probably questioning the boards statement of intent - I was explaining that part to you from your last posts.

I am doubting Steve Bruce will win the cabbage of the month award but I could be wrong.

Enjoy your evening.  ;)

I think Steve Bruce will fail in his attempt to win the cabbage of the month award by putting his cabbage in the dairy section. 

• Haha 2

Just now, One For The Road said:

I am saying that it's highly unlikely we will sign a world class manager and I am bi being shouted down for it. 

Cool mate, absolutely - lets see what happens. I hoping for someone progressive thats all, happy to give Arteta or Henry a try but equally wouldnt be suprised if we end up with Moyes it seems the way it goes with Villa. Just enjoying the chance however slight that this might be that time we might find our Nuno or Pep. 

3 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Just enjoying the chance however slight that this might be that time we might find our Nuno or Pep. 

And if we do I will be as extatic as every Villa fan. I'm just going to understand that we are under some severe financial restrictions and I will get behind whoever we sign. Even if it turns out to be Moyes.

The boards hands are somewhat tied on who we can approach it would seem but hopefully they can bring in the man they want. Whoever that may be.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Perhaps each player should get a turn as manager - a sort of winner stays on approach - can't believe its never been tried...

To be fair I think that was in Bruce’s plans, it’s just Stage 1 was playing in every onfield position.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cjay said:

I quite like David Moyes.

Cant really judge him on his Manchester United spell, 2 of the most successful managers of all time followed him and neither have really made a great success of it, following Ferguson was impossible. And, if he was good enough for Alex Ferguson to recommend?

Cant really judge him on Sunderland either, they were in freefall.

The job he did at Everton was brilliant, on a budget, he managed a 4th placed finish dont forget.

He was named LMA Manager of the year 3 times, which is 2nd only to Alex Ferguson who won it 4 times. 

West Ham were in the relegation zone when he took over last season, a club in turmoil and at war with its own fanbase, he finished 13th, pretty decent really given the circumstances. 

His stock has definitely fallen since his Everton days, but wasnt that long ago most people would have said he was one of the best young managers in the country.

COuld be a lot worse. 

Alex Ferguson recommended Alex McLeish for the AV job in 2011! :( 

31 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's not a game of told you so but seriously, the low expectation levels of some of our fans you'd think we where Torquay Utd.

You have 4 ex Bristol City players. 

Torquay have 4 Bristol City youths on loan.

Basically the same ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I am saying that it's highly unlikely we will sign a world class manager and I am being shouted down for it. 

You're not being shouted down, just being accused of being a wet blanket.

I usually agree with you on alot of things, but can't buy into repressing some hope for ambition.

Deep down the majority of us do not feel we will be signing elite management or Players.

However I have optimism that at the very least our appointments appointments will be closer to more creative upper echelons than they have been previously.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not me, at least not the posters we have had recently.  I appreciate having some thoughtful input from other clubs.  They're not trolling, there's not so many of them that we're losing focus on what we're talking about,  their contributions have broadened the debate, and they've got a sense of humour.  That's not to say we won't have others who are a pain, but the recent contributions have been good as far as I'm concerned.

I should clarify that I agree, BUT I heard a cynical voice in my head and was amused.  (I'll try to up my dose)

47 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We are not getting Arsene Wenger.

Its baffling that anyone even thinks that we could for a even a nanosecond.

It's baffling that anyone would deem it so impossible. 

We have not one but two of the richest owners in English football, one if which will know Arsene Wenger very well because he is very well connected at Arsenal. 

I would imagine Sawiris would be very very keen to get in Wenger and Henry, and if you are worth £8bn you tend to get what you want. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1